Author Topic: [News] D2X-XL crash bugs fixed  (Read 9712 times)

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
[News] D2X-XL crash bugs fixed
« on: June 08, 2011, 09:59:35 PM »
There have been a few more minor iterations in D2X-XL's improved lighting code, and in the course of that a few bugs that could cause program crashes have been fixed.

darklord42 is also providing us with up to date OS X versions of the program quite reliably. :-)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
Re: [News] D2X-XL crash bugs fixed
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 10:13:56 PM »
As much as I appreciate how much effort you put into this for us at no cost and without being asked... When did PD.net become D2X-XL.net? The last few posts have been fairly major things, but this is just a little bug fix... Chances are anyone who was having problems with it already would be checking the D2X-XL forums anyway. At the very least, can we keep it to one thread?

It's late, I'm probably over reacting, and I probably shouldn't even post this... Woohoo!

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 11:40:48 PM »
It's late, I'm probably over reacting, and I probably shouldn't even post this... Woohoo!
Indeed. It can't get much dumber  than suggesting I'd be trying to take over this forum when all I am doing is to try and keep the people here up to date about significant changes and fixes (ike a crash bug fix) to D2X-XL once in a while - and it doesn't happen more often. Someone who has no accomplishments in the Descent community getting at me (who has accomplished a dang lot for it) for nothing? Deja vu.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 12:27:26 AM by karx-elf-erx »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 06:37:58 AM »
Word of advice to IHateHackers: Be VERY careful about how you address these sort of matters about D2X-XL in Karx's presence. He feels quite strongly about the work he's done. And rightly so. :)

I personally have no problem with relaying the D2X-XL news this way, BTW. I don't visit the D2X-XL site as much as I used to, so this way I can still stay fairly up to date on the happenings there. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 10:34:41 AM »
Oh look, Karx getting personal over nothing. Deja vu. If you're trying to get an apology, that's not the way to do it.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 12:01:04 PM »
Matt, chill.

I, for one, appreciate the updates.  I don't get to play often, so it's nice to know when they happen.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 12:07:53 PM »
Matt, if you don't like D2X-Xl,you don't have to use it, but those of use who do appreciate him taking the time to let us know there is another update. And it is Descent related, 90 percent of the posts here have little or nothing to do Descent.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 12:34:37 PM »
I didn't feel D2X-XL being criticized. The crucial point is that IHateHackers more or less proposed I would be trying to take over this forum, which is not true. I have no problem with constructive criticism about D2X-XL, no problem with people saying they just don't like how Descent looks when using it (though you can remove all effects ...), no problem when they say it still looks old (it does, compared to Crysis 2 or the Unreal 3 engine). But I have a problem with people being unfair and claiming things that simply aren't true.

IHateHackers, your second post is ridiculously arrogant. Do you believe you are so important to me I'd be yearning for an apology from you? Your statement is laughably far off reality. If you want to keep making a fool of yourself that way, have your way.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 02:12:51 PM by karx-elf-erx »

Crash

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 03:04:20 PM »
I think it makes sense to post major updates here.
If they start running-over, give Karx his own forum section.

I would think that would be less work overhead for Karx and more convenient for everyone else, not having to visit two forums rather than one.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 03:31:31 PM »
I am only posting important updates here, and I am doing this as a service to the people here who want to follow the progress in other areas of the Descent community. Just compare to my dev blah in my own forum, and you'll see the difference. I really don't want my own forum area here. If the admins think I am posting too much about D2X-XL here, they'll only need to say a word and I'll stop.

Crash

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 04:36:58 PM »
I think that's a good idea to have a 'readers' digest' version for Descenters at large.
I know how long it must take to develop your projects, (or at least I can imagine). I think it shows great resolve to go and publicise the game properly in forums as well. I know I'm too apathetic to do that much with any of my stuff.

So, I view it as a good thing.

Another thing though: ... Whenever people tell you your work is 'old' or 'doesn't look as good as they reckon it should', it just means they haven't a clue about anything.
It translates into English as follows: "Hello, I'm a troll and I couldn't have done anywhere near as well as you did".
Never let them get you down.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 05:06:55 PM »
Hello, I'm a troll and I couldn't have done anywhere near as well as you did

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 06:47:22 PM »
Not to take sides, but I think that it is a good idea to post the major updates here.  (There have been a lot of major updates lately -- there are many more regular updates that have not been posted here though).
I only go to the D2X-XL site about once a day now, but I come here a lot more.  So it's great to know when something important is happening.  It will be even better once I install windows 7 and get the new versions to work :P.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 10:53:06 PM »
Crash,

I am working on D2X-XL for over seven years now, having added about 100.000 lines of code to it and having rewritten or replaced most of its code base. I have also rebuilt DLE-XP twice (once ported it to MS Visual C++ and rewritten the interface, once rewritten the entire engine into a half way decent C++ class based application), created a bunch of Descent single and multiplayer missions, have created a website plus forum for it, and I am maintaining a server to host it all. I think I have some bragging rights here. :D

There's also all those great people who have helped D2X-XL to become what it is, be it Novacron or Irontower with hires textures, Metalbeast with hires models, Frustikus with hires sounds, simx and darklord42 with OS X compiles of the program, Pumo, Yokelassence, Sirius, Ben K, Aus-RED-5 and many more people with missions, and a bunch of supporters and helpers on the forum.

Find a brief history of D2X-XL development here.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 10:55:32 PM by karx-elf-erx »

Crash

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 03:00:45 AM »
"I think I have some bragging rights here."
I didn't say you didn't. I just thought I was trying to back you up there.
I just hate to see developers take onboard in good faith (as valid criticism) what sounded to me from your earlier message like outright abuse. (I've heard it all before).

If you look at the project I've been mainly working on, it has roughly the same number of sets of conditions and events let alone actual lines of code, (written in an development software that I would classify as 'semi-functional') and I've been working on that project since the middle of 2002. No-one has to impress on me how overcomplicated software development can be. Plus there's the site and, once-upon-a-time, a PHPBB forum (until I realised that it was better to use someone else's forum, which was managed and adminned by them to reduce my overhead. That was really where my suggestion about moving completely into a community forum came from.)

Quite a few people have helped me along the way but an awful lot have been eager to kick you whenever you were down.

And I certainly don't think IHateHackers is a troll either, incase there's any misunderstanding. We're just having a frank discussion between folk here about important stuff.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 03:24:49 AM by Crash »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets