Author Topic: [News] D2X-XL crash bugs fixed  (Read 9785 times)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: [News] D2X-XL crash bugs fixed
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 07:12:11 AM »
As I understand it, that is more or less Karx's case all right. He puts in all this hard work to make a game as great as he can, no doubt putting in long hours with no real financial income from it, and seems quite prone to get the most ridiculous and unwarranted crap for it in return. As such, I've noticed Karx has gotten to be very quick to defend D2X-XL's cause, and as I said before, it's rightly so. We probably ought to be giving him more props than we have for putting up with it as he has.

Also, for the record, I want to double Crash's sentiment that he, I, and I think most of everyone here, considers IHateHacker a troll. Just...rash, perhaps. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 12:56:02 PM »
I agree.
I don't think IHateHackers is a troll, but maybe just a bit imprudent.  ;D

And yeah, I think the XL news here are a good way to stay up to date, taking in account not everyone updates his XL installation as constantly (as I do it). :P

So it's good to know for general users (specially those who are not part of XL forums) when to update the program with critical updates.
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 05:07:15 PM »
I recently got my girlfriend to play D2(XL) - She said she didn't want to kill the 'cute' robots (Having been playing D3 for a while)  :P

You know what I never looked at it before, but she's right. D2 robots are so much cuter looking than those in D1 or D3.
Sectorgame.com - Descent and Freespace mods/levels.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 06:25:11 PM »
I recently got my girlfriend to play D2(XL) - She said she didn't want to kill the 'cute' robots (Having been playing D3 for a while)  :P

You know what I never looked at it before, but she's right. D2 robots are so much cuter looking than those in D1 or D3.
I would beg to differ on that, for most. Some of those bots still scare the pants off me. Although, I will admit old scratch is pretty scary.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 07:05:32 PM »
I think a lot of D2 robots are cute.  Maybe I'm also insane.

BPer... Sidearm Modula... Smelter... Bulk Destroyer... Omega Spider... Internal Tactical Droid... Water Boss...
E-Bandit manages to look cute and absolutely evil at the same time... and it looks like a leech (form matches function!)  It could have been done in Manga style for the same effect... if someone could make a render of that that would be awesome actually.

E-Bandit FTW.
Best robot ever (personally).  If you don't want to play levels with E-Bandits in them then don't play any levels I've made :P.

In other news playing Obsidian with the custom robots removed is generally much easier than playing it with the custom robots... but it will definitely teach you to fear bulk destroyers.

And yeah I was kidding about the water boss.

EEK!  Schitzophrenic post!

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 07:46:01 PM »
The only ones I'd call cute would be the sidearm modula. Then again, I haven't played enough D2 to know what most of the names mean...

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 10:13:32 PM »
Well, I must say I find the Light Hulk as a really cute robot since the first time I saw it.  ;D

Other robots I find cute are the Gopher, Supervisor, Red Fatty, PEST, and well, even the Thief bot.

Robots I find as a mix of cute and badass are the Medium Lifters, E-Bandits and Class 1 Drillers. :)
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2011, 10:09:34 AM »
Can't say I've EVER thought any of the Descent robots as cute.

But now that you mention it...  ::)

I can tell you which robots I consider the scariest, though. D1 fusion hulk, all the way. *shudders* That robot, to this day, gives me the willies.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 10:13:26 AM »
Class 1 Drillers. :)

I can see why that would be...
I think the drillers just look demonic.

And the fusion hulks... scary... I still can't play a level with them without getting an adrenaline rush -- at least in D1.  In D2 they were weaker because of the nerfed fusion.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2011, 10:19:41 AM »
Oh yeah, they're actually kind of pathetic in D2. Lost all of their edge. And they weren't the only robots, either. A lot of the other D1 robots just didn't seem the same in D2. Might only be because D2 has a very different feel to it, even though it runs on the same engine more or less.

In D3, I think the robot that gets to me the most is the sharks. Old Scratch has his moments, but I can handle him. When faced with a swarm of sharks, though, I just about go berserk trying to keep them away.
Check out my deviantART

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2011, 11:00:02 AM »
I love fusion hulks. I think I've gotten too good with them to be scary though. However, just hearing that sound gets you on edge anyways.

My first encounter with the fusion hulks was on secret level 1. I had known they existed via the game's demos, but I never knew what they were capable of. I pick up all of the shields and promptly lose them upon opening the door. heh

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2011, 11:54:17 AM »
Oh yeah, I have to admit that I kind of hate that secret level for stuff like that. :P

I think D1's secret levels are probably among the best, because you really had to work to beat them. :D
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2011, 12:04:11 PM »
I like D3's secret level 2.

The first D3 secret level would have been nice if it was longer.

The sharcs (official spelling :P) used to get to me in D3 till I figured out to use napalm or omega.  Now they're easy.
The flaks and black stormtroopers are what get to me in D3 now.  Undodgeable superweapon and everything.  Flaks aren't quite as bad because they have such terrible aim but come on, what are you supposed to do against an undodgeable superweapon?  Kill it before it can shoot?  Yeah, good luck with that.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 07:17:35 AM by wazzazzle »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2011, 12:10:02 PM »
Well, yeah, D3's secret level 2 is pretty darn fun, and challenging, but not quite like the D1 secret levels, which are just hard core challenges, particularly that first one.

I have long thought that the first D3 secret level was more of a mish-mash of material the makers had made but ended up not using elsewhere in the game, so they rolled them all together here. At the very least, there seems to be some kind of story behind a lot of things that appear in that level.
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2011, 02:31:34 PM »
I forget, which one is which?

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets