Author Topic: What wierd and exotic things happen where you live?  (Read 3978 times)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
What wierd and exotic things happen where you live?
« on: June 02, 2011, 05:36:34 PM »
Another tell us about yourself topic... this time it's the where of you.

What are the little quirks of the place where you live?  It could be your house, your block, your town, the treehouse in your backyard, your cottage... your mind... (if you spend a lot of time in there, same goes for your fictional countries)... it could be yourself (you spend a lot of time as you, after all)... you get the picture.

I'll start, of course.

My dominant hand switches depending on what I'm doing... Though I tend to be right-handed, I'm a left-handed eater, and a left-handed gamer -- So I can't play anything well with a gamepad.

I'm a gamer, but I don't have much of a gaming system.  I own a medium-end laptop and a PSP that doesn't work.

Any desk that belongs to me will always be a total mess.  This is a law of nature that can never be broken.

We have plum trees in our backyard.

Winnipeg has some interesting wildlife quirks... not the kinds of creatures so much as there number.

You see wild rabbits far, far more than squirrels.  It's like an infestation.

We have all the obligatory city birds of course... mostly robins...
And a pair of peregrine falcons downtown that have been here for... probably going on seven years now.  I've never actually seen them, but I live close to downtown in a neighborhood full of squirrels and mice, so I hear the falcons a lot, especially during the summer.  I'm pretty sure they hunt in this neighborhood -- in fact I heard them hunting here this afternoon.

Two words: Cankerworm plague.
It's not so bad this year though, for whatever reason (I'm thinking the flood).

People come to Winnipeg and are amazed at how nice our drivers are.  The provincial logo is 'Friendly Manitoba' for a reason.

Folklorama is awesome.  Enough said.

So tell us a little about where you live.  Do you like it or hate it?  (I think you can tell I like Winnipeg).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 01:27:46 PM by wazzazzle »

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Re: What wierd and exotic things happen where you live?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 07:31:10 AM »
I'm confused.  ??? I'm also tired.

weird or exotic is your desk being messy?

I don't know if I get the topic, but I suppose I'll try one or two.

I use to have this thing where my room HAD to be clean before watching a movie and at times, even before going to bed.
I have friends that come over, that's both weird and exotic  ;D

Honestly, I don't know what you're getting at.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 09:02:18 AM »
My first example is kind of misleading... I'll just say I live in my mind a lot.

The stuff about growing plums in my backyard and Winnipeg wildlife is more what I'm asking... but really the topic meant to let you say anything about yourself and where you live.

Of course I know many people won't be comfortable discussing their own quirks, so I'm not asking you to discuss them -- but you can.

What I'm asking is just talk about anything that happens in your area that you think might be unusual compared to other places -- and that area can be any area around where you currently are... it could even just be yourself.  For example what I said about Winnipeg having more rabbits than squirrels is something that I think is unusual compared to other cities - and it's an interersting fact you might not have known about this city.

You're still on topic -- after all people (and any other creatures for that matter) tend to be themselves for the vast majority of their lives :P, so you could say it's where you live.

My examples started in a small area (me) and gradually encompassed the whole city.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 09:09:57 AM by wazzazzle »

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 10:36:23 AM »
Another "I need attention and camouflage it in a tell us about yourself thread so that I have an opportunity to speak about myself without making my desire for attention too obvious" thread.

Oh yeah, let's show off the most interesting persons in universe: Ourselves. ;D

Oh yeah, I forgot - that's the kind of remark that gets me into trouble on a regular base. :P Please don't take it too serious.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:18:14 AM by karx-elf-erx »

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 12:16:51 PM »
You have this knack for blinding insights, you know.  I think, for a lot of people, being told something they don't want to know about themselves is a major reason to dislike the person who told it to them... and that's why a lot of other people are afraid to criticize.

I'm just going to admit you're right.

I admit it.  You're right.

Attention, self-interest, and curiosity are some of the greatest motivators for the psyche ;).  This post has all of them :P.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 12:31:01 PM by wazzazzle »

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 12:17:35 PM »
Another "I need attention and camouflage it in a tell us about yourself thread so that I have an opportunity to speak about myself without making my desire for attention too obvious" thread.

Oh yeah, let's show off the most interesting persons in universe: Ourselves. ;D

Oh yeah, I forgot - that's the kind of remark that gets me into trouble on a regular base. :P Please don't take it too serious.

I wasn't going to state the obvious  ;D

I don't see this would get you into trouble. I see what you're getting at. Whether wazzazzle is doing the same or not, I do this on occasion.

"What games do you play on the PS3"
"Blah blah blah blah"
yeah, yeah, okay, yeah, okay, my turn."
"I have Call of Duty."

maybe that's why his post didn't make sense  ;)

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 12:18:33 PM »
You have this knack for blinding insights, you know.
Ooooouuuuuccccchhhh, the sarcasm!

:D

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 12:19:46 PM »
That was a big part of the reason for posting this...

But also, I am very curious about other places.  I so rarely travel anywhere outside this province and other people online so rarely talk about it... I want to find out.  And I'm sure there are other people who do too.
I'm hungry for knowlege and discovery.  And people like to talk about themselves -- I'm obviously no exception - I don't think there are very many exceptions.  These topics do tend to get a lot of response - with people talking about themselves.

Please don't take this as an argument, it's not.  I'm not in any way denying that you're right.  Attention, self-interest, and curiosity are some of the greatest motivators for the psyche ;).

is that like, a wise man asks more questions than answers. I don't think that's entirely how it goes, but, to see how others live and what not. All I know is, Minnesota is too cold in the winter some days (-10 degrees), and too humid in the summer at times, and about 90 degrees sometimes.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 12:32:30 PM »
Ooooouuuuuccccchhhh, the sarcasm!

:D

Actually, read the edited post :P.  There was absolutely no sarcasm intended, and no argument.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 01:11:54 PM »
Well, I hadn't minded sarcasm.

While what I had said may have been obvious, your thread also is an opportunity for people to get more acquainted with each other, and maybe people would have liked or will like it for that.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
oh my, wazzazzle has all 777's. weird..

nothing weird or exotic is here. we have a boring area.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 01:27:08 PM »
It should have set me on red alert when I realized that my original post was completely off-topic.  But I never saw that because... Blinded by the obvious! :D
The more bizarre part was me deluding myself while I wrote the original post (I was convinced I was writing it for some other purpose).

This thread is completely pointless, even the original post makes no sense.  It should be locked (I wonder if I can lock my own threads at platinum).  If I really want to be curious about places, I should make a new thread that actually has that purpose -- not a masquerade.

And it's not all 7s anymore :P.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets