Author Topic: Annual self-skill test -- my results  (Read 12637 times)

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
Re: Annual self-skill test -- my results
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 08:14:49 AM »
I think a good standard would be how many lives does it take to get through D1 level 7 on insane!

Tried that not too long ago.  Would have been only 3 lives, if not for those darn drillers on Level 6! :P

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 09:24:00 AM »
I still can barely get past lunar outpost on insane.

I think I'll stick with Descent Maximum (:P)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 09:25:53 AM »
it's fun to test your skills. I'm glad that my friend will do that when playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. I need it on hardened or veteran, and sometimes, it's still easy.

So far, I am DYING on Black Ops though, one map where you have enemies re-spawning all the time, and you're on veteran. I think it's impossible, but I'm sure it can be done.

Stupid or not, in games like C.O.D., or Descent, etc etc.. I'll try to see how far I can go without getting more ammo and/or energy, etc.

Offline Ashes

• Silver
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 05:44:58 PM »
I've never done a test like that. I'll occasionally go through levels 5-8 on D1 on Insane to see how well I can do, as a challenge. 

It's fun, but really hard. I've never done it without a death, but I usually kill the boss without losing the hostages (I hate losing hostages, it's a pet peeve of mine).
Do not read this post.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 04:37:49 AM »
Hmmm...  Something different to try.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 04:43:14 AM »
I think a good standard would be how many lives does it take to get through D1 level 7 on insane!

I think this is not a good standard because some of us can't even get to level 7 on insane!
I can get to level 2 though!

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 06:37:54 AM »
Perhaps we should use hacked versions of Rebirth or XL that start the player with 300 lives instead of 3.

:P

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2011, 10:02:45 AM »
Imma be chugging through D3 on insane. I'll do a level a day.

I haven't done it in a while. It is interesting because the bots really do learn. I'll bunch 'em up when I go into a tunnel and then pop out to shoot them. The third time I tried that, a couple of them started hanging back at opposite corners.

It is also funny how 3 Gyros used to never be a problem, but become a serious threat especially when you are stuck with weak blue lasers for the most part of Level 1.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 01:57:12 PM »
I knew the AI for D3 was much more advanced than D1 or D2, but I didn't think it actually learned.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 04:05:09 PM »
I seem to remember an interview somewhere, one of the devs from Descent, who said the bots would adjust their behavior according to the situation and tactics used by the player. Not quite 'learning', but more like simulated learning.

To me learning would mean adopting behavior not already programed in. Whereas the bots are choosing tactics already programmed based on some sort of algorithm. I call it simulated learning because the bots are adjusting behavior on the fly. In omega's example, one tactic wasn't working so they switched to another.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 04:08:49 PM by ...WillyP... »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets