Author Topic: Anyone know if the iMac edition of Descent 3 will work on the iMac?  (Read 5447 times)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
I have the Windows edition of Descent 3, which appears like it should work (using playonmac), but when it comes to hitting play, it won't let me. It informs me that I need to add or change my video driver/type.
That's a problem. Everytime I go to setup and click on that tab, it freezes. Other ones work just fine, but that one freezes.

I tried the demo (mac version) and that failed to load.

Am I S.O.L.?

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: Anyone know if the iMac edition of Descent 3 will work on the iMac?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 07:05:05 AM »
My initial thoughts:

Have you upgraded to version 1.4 already?
If you haven't, try that because... it might fix it  :D.

If you have already, try making a fresh install with version 1.0, configure it that way, see if it works, and then upgrade.

I also think there may be a way to bypass the launcher setup menu entirely and enter the values by hand.  But if there is, you'd have to ask someone else.

Otherwise, maybe try the GOG version?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 07:06:54 AM by wazzazzle »

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 07:56:23 AM »
I'm assuming I didn't upgrade it because I am not sure how to. On Linux, I knew just what to do, and where to go, but on the imac, not sure.

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 12:14:47 AM »
You can skip the launcher (as wazzazzle said) by executing the 'main.exe' file with the '-launched' command line parameter. See if that works...
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 02:59:25 PM »
believe it or not, I am finally trying this game out. where do this this '-launched' command?

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 04:33:58 PM »
Maybe try contacting Descent (really should be called Descent team) on Dateiliste and seeing if you can access our download there.  Since you're a known face in the community it shouldn't be hard to prove that you own it.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 04:37:39 PM »
I tried crossover, and it installed just fine, even did the video setup. I got the game rolling, the video part that is. Once it was over and ready to load the actual menu, it went to the desktop.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 05:30:29 PM »
That doesn't really help the matter at hand, sorry.

The launched command line parameter just tells the game that it's been launched properly from the launcher (if it doesn't see this, it gives an error message telling you to use the launcher). I'm not sure if the mac version works the same way though.

When configuring the Descent 3 launcher, what renderer do you specify? If it's giving you DirectX by default (since you're implying that you're running the windows version on OSX), try OpenGL instead. Alter's idea of using the dateiliste installer also has merit, as it's a bit more stable than a regular install in my experiences.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 08:48:20 AM »
I did select OpenGL and the 'crossover' software worked until after the intro scene. It closed out and I was staring at the desktop.

thanks Omega, very helpful  ;)

You probably wouldn't be welcome in our place. It started off with only Windows. My dad got me started on Linux. I then got my sister and mom on Linux; and now my girl friend. Recently however, I got the iMac, my mom got the old macbook (a gift from her brother; sort of a as a backup), she will later have an iPad2, I'll have the newest iPod; and my sister has the iPhone.

wow. That is weird actually. Just last year, I didn't even think we'd ever own an apple based OS.

I still prefer Linux over every OS.

But yeah, basically all Mac based now.

Sad thing is, it's all my fault. I'm the tester, getting others on that system.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 08:50:37 AM by Vanguard »

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 10:41:58 AM »
I should have purchased it when I had the chance. only one copy now of D3 (mac) and that's $69.99 at Amazon.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets