Author Topic: D2X-XL crashes when trying to load a level  (Read 8516 times)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
D2X-XL crashes when trying to load a level
« on: May 31, 2011, 06:15:40 AM »
It took some doing, but I was able to get D2X-XL working, at least the menu. When it said it was ready to load the level, it crashed and the PC said something that something unexpected happened. um, yeah.

I am using the iMac, newest of very close to the newest Snow Leopard OS.
I downloaded the D2X-XL last night, so that's the newest version.
The Descent 2 data is from the GOG.com website.

I maximized a bit, and maybe too much, not sure. I'm sure my graphic card is intel. wanted NVidia, but I don't think iMac is big on those.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: D2X-XL crashes when trying to load a level
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 07:14:09 AM »
Better to post this at the D2X-XL forum.

Also a good idea to post your system specs and the contents of d2x.log (to create d2x.log add the line '-printlog' (without the quotes) to d2x.ini or if there's no d2x.ini in the config folder, add the line to d2x-default.ini, which should also be in the config folder).

It sounds like you see this as a problem with your setup, rather than a bug.
If you think it's a bug it's better to post it on the D2X-XL bug tracker on Sourceforge (all bugs get posted there so that Karx can stay organized :P).

Also, AFAIK there will be a new Mac version soon (someone is finally working on it).

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 07:26:00 AM »
I think I know the specs to my iMac  :-\

It was easier when I had a built in system and an OS that told me. I believe the imac does too, but no idea where that is.
I still have the iMac box and I seem to recall it telling me there.

thank you.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 08:00:38 AM »
Darklord has doing some great work here recently and is providing up to date OS X versions of D2X-XL.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 09:09:37 AM »
thank you.

Your logo/site appears to say "Descent 1 and 2", but after trying it, I got the impression it's for Descent 2 only.

I think when trying it on my iMac, it said it needs a HOG file like "Descent2.hog"

That three day weekend helped some. I'm getting somewhere.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 01:35:55 PM »
Are you trying to explain my own "product" to me?

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 02:16:58 PM »
just telling you whats going on.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 02:20:13 PM »
Van, you really should post over at the D2X-XL forums: (link)

It's by far the best place to get information on how to set it up.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 02:23:59 PM »
When I get a chance, I shall do so. I'm hoping Vanguard isn't taken. no. probably not...

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 04:16:11 AM »

Only his own experience of it.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 04:04:23 AM »

Only his own experience of it.
When he is telling me that it probably only supports D2, then he is trying to teach me about my program from his own very limited experience and apparent has shied any efforts regarding investigating all the available resources on my website, which is something I am extremely unappreciative of.

I have no problems with people asking about D2X-XL to clarify things they haven't understood when I can see that they tried to read and understand all the resources about it; but I have neither made all my efforts to write all the good and complete information about D2X-XL to be constantly asked about the things written there by people to lazy to browse my site and read a bit, nor to be criticized by people who have no real understanding of the program because they couldn't be bothered to investigate first. Vanguard saying that he "got the impression" is a very clear indicator that he couldn't be bothered with reading the available D2X-XL info. Jump right in, mess around a bit, when it doesn't work, make ill comments. That's something I have never liked. Lack of diligence and lack of respect for others, expressed by not bothering to use what they have put effort in to help others, but jump right at them because it's more convenient to have them spend time on one's problems than spending one's own time first in a good effort to solve it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 07:04:16 AM by karx-elf-erx »

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 04:09:55 AM »
I got the impression he was saying he was having trouble getting the D1 support to work.

Also because it is a single program, it could get confusing.
Pretty sure he didn't mean it like that.

@Vanguard: It would be a good idea to browse around the descent2.de site when you have some time, just to get familliar with all the more important features of the program, and some rewards for doing it too -- a lot of very interesting information and some cool levels you might not have seen before.
And AFAIK it's the only place where you can get the original Apocalyptic Factor mission for vanilla D2 -- anywhere else just has the XL version of it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 04:18:34 AM by wazzazzle »

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 04:12:18 AM »
Maybe my response was to complicated. Here's the simply version: Obviously Vanguard couldn't be arsed to read anything I have written about installing and configuring D2X-XL, or he wouldn't have had that problem, or would at least have been able to ask more specifically.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 04:56:12 AM »
I apologize for being lazy. It's a bad habit I have gotten into. I'm no great computer expert. I can't write software and know all of these codes to run a server, or however you even run a server. I had a hard enough time just creating a Descent map.

I do apologize. I do tend to ask instead of reading into things. Yes, it was my impression that it's only for Descent 2, even though the site says Descent 1 and 2. I guess the reasoning (bad one) is the example they gave me "needs a descent2.hog file".

I feel I am good enough in knowing how to take care of this software. load such files into a certain folder, like rebirth, and you're off. So when it crashed, my only thought was, okay, I need to ask for help, because I don't know if it's the graphic card that is doing it, is it the fact I am overclocking/doing something. I don't know. Maybe someone may say, "yeah, lots had that issue, just uncheck that and you're good to go."

so I admit, I am lazy in that field. It's a bad habit, and I apologize. Should I dare say, maybe, and with "all" due respect, it says "D2X-XL", that "D2" sounds like Descent 2.

I'll just do some more over the weekend, or whenever I can get to it. I'll check and uncheck stuff, and monkey around with it until I get it going.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 06:50:08 AM »
Van, don't "check and uncheck stuff, and monkey around with it"; you'll just end up wasting time. 

Just go to the D2X-XL forums, and ask there.  They'll get you the right info.

Ex: Here is a thread where I needed clarification on file locations, they got my misunderstanding worked out quickly.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets