Author Topic: D2X-XL crashes when trying to load a level  (Read 8514 times)

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
Re: D2X-XL crashes when trying to load a level
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 07:03:17 AM »
Hey, apology accepted. :)

It's really better to register and ask in the D2X-XL forum. There is a whole page on my website dedicated solely to explaining D2X-XL's Descent 1 support.

What we also always need to know is the exact version number of the D2X-XL version you are having problems with.

On MS Windows, you should be able to just install D2X-XL into your usual Descent installation, and D2X-XL will create the environment it needs itself. The only thing left to do is to download and install (extract to the main D2X-XL folder) the additional data files, like hires sounds, models, etc. That's a few files, but no big deal since the archives already contain the proper folders (so just don't make the mistake to extract to the subfolder the data is supposed to end up in - that will happen automatically when extracting to the main folder).

Finally, OS X support has been a bit of a problem since the previous Mac coder is not available anymore and I don't own a Mac. Darklord42 from the D2X-XL is however creating new OS X builds of the program quite regularly now, and he might be able to help best with problems with the OS X version.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Re: D2X-XL crashes when trying to load a level
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 01:29:01 PM »
Van, don't "check and uncheck stuff, and monkey around with it"; you'll just end up wasting time. 

Just go to the D2X-XL forums, and ask there.  They'll get you the right info.

Ex: Here is a thread where I needed clarification on file locations, they got my misunderstanding worked out quickly.

Thanks. I registered as "Vanguard"

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets