Author Topic: MAAAN! Descent Vignettes Level 19 Kicked My A**!!!!  (Read 19353 times)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: MAAAN! Descent Vignettes Level 19 Kicked My A**!!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 05:29:21 AM »
Ah yes, now I remember that level...it was a doozy. I recall when I played it, I got my shields knocked down pretty bad more than once, but I don't think I ever managed to die.

Of course, that was rapidly becoming a trend in the level set by that point, and I knew by then that I needed to tread carefully.

That's part of what has made Vignettes so much fun, though, the fact that it literally stretches you thin trying to beat some of those levels. I think it got to the point that my shields were consistently well under a hundred, sometimes under fifty or lower, by the time I escaped the mine.

Thank goodness your shields are restored back to one hundred at the start of every level. :D

You know, now that I think about it, I don't think I ever did get around to finish Vignettes, ironically, but I think I was getting very close.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 05:40:29 AM »
it's sort of funny reading the original post, and you say where you are in that game, how you're doing, and now reading this and saying "oh yeah....i think I remember that."

you were just talking about it a few days ago!! okay, I know, it was back in 2009, but I was reading it a day or two ago. I got a message, hang on...................what about an Asylum?
hey, my room is ready. I am moving out into some sort of an apartment.

this is what happens when I get in touch with all of my friends, and have a great night laughing and just having a great time :)

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 03:34:14 AM »
That would be the one Alieo. I made the texture pack to specifically enhance Vignettes. It will work for all Descent 1 levels and mission packs, but the Vignettes levels were specifically textured to take advantage of the Quake texture pack. (looks good without it, but was optimized to look great with it)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 03:45:31 AM »
I had time to play one level, did something with my girl friend. So far, its looking pretty darn good :)

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 12:27:28 PM »
looks like your girlfriend wasn't patient enough if all you had time for was one level! Must have taken you 3 mins or less to beat it! lol

On another note: I'm glad people are still enjoying this mission set. (more so, it seems, then Enemy Within! O_o) I'm also glad people enjoy the difficulty as well. There is only so much you can do with Descent 1 robots and the limited amount of weapons you have available without becoming too cheap or unfair to the player. But people are still tackling this mission and enjoying the difficulty it presents. One of my favorite firefights (and I like at least one good firefight per level) has to be the main tower area of level 18 right after the first blue door with all the lifter and class 1 and 2 platforms. That is just insane fun.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 12:29:12 PM by Darkflamewolf »

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 01:08:04 PM »
she's a patient person, I just don't like to keep a lady waiting. not gentleman/decent like.

She was ready for me to go to her place around 6:30, and I had just gotten D1 and D1rebirth installed. had time to play one level, just to see how it was like. I did show her the first official level of Descent. I had the "Planet Descent" tshirt on the other night from the zazzle store, and wanted to show her what Descent was all about :)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
@DFW, Yeah, I always saw those textures in your demo videos. Well, I got it working! Looks great! I just got back into rediscovering Descent back in January, RIGHT IN TIME for the beginning of the school semester... NOW I can play without having to choose between homework and school! lol! I'm on Level 24 now. I've been slowly inching my way through that first room. I DREAD the last level!!! I swear you have an unhealthy love affair with these fusion hulks!! SHEESH! They scared me sh**less when I was 12, and still scare me sh**less at 26!!!

"OWWW-GET-CHA"

*FOOM* goes the Fusion Hulk.

*TONNNNGG* -loses 60 shields

*RUNS AWAY*
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 05:30:42 PM »
Fusion hulks, oddly, are probably my favorite Descent 1 robot. I think they just get that fear factor across what with the sound and the fact that they can tear off 60 shields in one zap.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 07:28:03 PM »
And that's why I hate them...

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 08:40:53 PM »
played a bit of Call of Duty (zombie mode), and not all players were that great. I decided to start the descent game again, Vignette.

done with 5 levels I think, so far, easy, but I imagine it will be harder soon.
Pretty interesting layout. some remind me of Doom, and I have no real idea why yet. don't take that has an insult. Some see it has "Doom VS Descent", "Pepsi VS Coke", "Windows VS Linux/ VS iMac", etc.

I see it has two different games, both classics were fun. I see both drinks has being refreshing, um. I won't talk about the third. that one I have a slight thing for. not a fan of Windows  ;D

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 10:08:39 PM »
not a fan of Windows

Teeeheeheee!!  ;D

Are you playing it with the quake textures?

EDIT: OH! And another thing, this is kinda off topic, but whatever, I started this topic! LOL umm... have you guys ever played D1 with the mods enabled so that the robots in the game turn into The Enemy Within robots? I tried that and that was some tough game playing! And I thought fusion hulks were bad! They turned into these mega missile launching whales! (I don't know what their specific names are because I haven't gotten past the 4th level in TEW, but it's on my summer to do list!)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 10:13:37 PM by Alieo »

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2011, 07:19:03 AM »
forgot about that, thanks Alieo! Included with the Quake textures pack is a single HXM file that mods the Descent 1 robots to be Enemy Within robots! I think I had to leave 1 or 2 robots out, like the Echo. But just about every Enemy Within robot replaces every Descent 1 robot. Now obviously, I had to modify all the robot stats and weaponry to match what Descent 1 has. I can't have a gauss cannon shooting robot in Descent 1, there are so many things you can't remove from the hard coding. So Enemy Within robots had to be dumbed down a bit to fit into the constraints of the Descent 1 hard code. So some robots end up being easier, others...like the Warlord, end up being harder.  So if you feel Descent is getting stale, try out the Enemy Within robot mod for Descent 1, might spruce things up abit, even the original campaign!

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2011, 09:46:24 AM »
And, obviously the mod requires D2X-XL.  I don't think that was mentioned.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2011, 10:11:19 AM »
I haven't played TEW past level 4, but I was playing D1 with the mods on, and it's like a totally different game. I went up to the Super Hulk boss robot at Level 7, and the mod made it a fusion blasting space ship with fusion hulk sound effects. It was the weirdest thing. Is that thing a boss robot on TEW? It had the same exterior colors and windows as the Pyro GX. Also, a bigger version of that one was the Level 27 boss.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2011, 08:43:01 PM »
You'll find it all out when you get to level 5 of TEW... :P

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets