Author Topic: Firefox 4  (Read 10983 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Firefox 4
« on: May 19, 2011, 09:34:50 AM »
(split from another topic)
Ahh, yeah - black is the default, right?

Speaking of which, Firefox 4 sucks for magnifing doesn't it? I can't find any menu options to zoom in and it doesn't even have a "reset to 100%" button. You gotta guess what 100% looks like for yourself.

Nonsense. Just hit ctrl and + to zoom in, ctrl plus - to zoom out, and ctrl and 0 resets back to 100%.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 04:30:13 PM by ...WillyP... »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Firefox 4
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 10:15:56 AM »
Nonsense. Just hit ctrl and + to zoom in, ctrl plus - to zoom out, and ctrl and 0 resets back to 100%.

It works fine for me.

Crash

Firefox 4
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 10:52:31 AM »
Sure, you press Ctrl and +. I knew that already. That seemed like the only way to do it. I can't believe there isn't a clear way to reset the zoom or at least tell you what zoom factor you're in. It should actually pop-up with a little bubble to let you know what's going on when you press Ctrl + etc, like it does with link addresses that you hover over.

I mean that's all fine for people who know the shortcuts already but why do you have a feature that you can only use with the keyboard? No software designer with a brain in his head would accept that. I mean this isn't DOS we're using here. It's not even Windows 3.0. It's unbelievably counter-intuitive for the average user.
I started wondering why a lot of people are jumping to Chrome but with decisions like this I'm starting to realise.

I mean sometimes pressing it once just isn't what you want. Are you supposed to count how many times you press it? You don't press buttons on your microwave 5 times to know you've programmed 5 minutes. There's an LED to tell you.
I have to say, I didn't know about Ctrl 0 and I've been a programmer since I was about 10. Nobody should *have* to know about it, which is what Firefox now expects. It might not be anything to you but it's not nonsense. Please don't try and tell me otherwise. It's presumptuous.
Looks like there are a lot of people who feel the same way actually. Apparently you can customise palette but that's hardly obvious either.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 10:54:50 AM by Crash »

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
Firefox 4
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
I know of ctrl+0 since some time already without reading any manual/help file, so I find it pretty intuitive.

And anyway, there's also this great alternative:
https://addons.mozilla.org/es-ES/firefox/addon/zoom-page/

It makes zooming very comfortable.

(It's just my idea, or some of the users here don't use that much the great add-ons for Firefox?)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 10:56:41 AM by Pumo »
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Crash

Firefox 4
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 11:02:54 AM »
That's a bit more like it, a very good find! Thank you! Much more and I was going to go in search myself! Well, maybe not - I was more thinking about people who use PCs just as a tool rather than a hobby.

My favourite extension is FireFTP. Have you tried that one? It's brilliant. I'm not sure why I ever cared when SmartFTP went "pay me now"-only - (even for students and what-not).
That is the magic of Firefox though, you're right. Their developers might have maybe had a slight collective anneurysm in some areas but the extension-power has always been a winner.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
Re: Firefox 4
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 04:44:01 PM »
I said nonsense, because you said Firefox sucks for zooming, and there is no way to set back to 100%. I would guess 90% of users don't care what percentage of zoom they are at, they zoom because they just want to read or see something too small. And why would using the keyboard be such a big deal for a feature that's rarely used anyway?

FireFTP is a great extension, but for some reason it stopped working for me. I also had some problem backing up file from the gallery. It would get to some files and stop, and I would have to download them one at a time. Switched to FileZilla, which downloaded the files, but I didn't like FileZilla. Now I am using WinSCP.

Crash

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 05:21:53 PM »
Ahh yeah, Ctrl+0 was the one I was missing.
Zooming resamples the images making them fuzzier the larger they are. If you press Ctrl and scrollwheel it zooms too and it's a persistent setting by website. I had that problem with the previous one. So I still think it should he able to tell you what zoom you're on currently.
Why not put it on that bar at the bottom for add-ons that's totally wasted?
And I still think for many users; but especially those with impairments the idea is dreadful.

I didn't like Filezilla either. I had a host that was super-keen on secure FTP login and they almost insisted that we use the frickin' thing. It wasn't very friendly and even less attractive, that I can say... And I was paying them too.
Only trouble I ever had with FireFTP was that you have to check "Show hidden files" in options, otherwise you can have trouble deleting apparently empty folders.
I'll give WinSCP a shot too, thanks!

Offline Pumo

• Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 06:29:24 PM »
Yeah, I'm using FireFTP and i'm pretty satisfied with it. :)

It's one of the tools I use the most to mantain my websites (uploading stuff to the hosting services, etc.)

Very good plug-in.  :)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 08:57:20 PM »
FireFTP is great. I love how it lets you open files on the FTP and automatically saves them back to it when you save in the program. The only thing I'd like to see is drag-and-drop support outside of its window, like dragging from windows explorer, and not having to define the same programs over and over for every file type. (I work with linux servers a lot for my minecraft server so I have 50 different extensions associated with notepad...)

(Wow, Minecraft is in the firefox dictionary now? Nice going notch!)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 05:23:10 AM »
WinSCP does all three of those things. I also use the ftp built into Notepad++ to edit files.

I do miss having all the accounts organized with the drop down lists in FireFTP. That is a great feature which both WinSCP and Notepad++ could use. I also like the convienience of having ftp just a click away in Firefox, but having it a click away on the desktop or in Notepad++ is almost as good.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 05:58:19 AM »
I used to use FireFTP a LOT, but I got tired of having to re-setup my sites each time I had a major browser rebuild or re- work, plus I alternate between 5 to 6 different computers frequently (depending on what I need/want to do and which ones are available).  It's a pain trying to make sure each have the options I want only to have to make a change and then change all of them as needed.  Got tired of that.

Probably why I'm now mostly using WinSCP and the current version Filezilla.  Both let me transfer the list of sites.

Crash

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 06:06:43 AM »
Yes, having it export the settings would be sensible. Maybe there is a file somewhere in the Firefox directory that's transplantable and contains the FTP account settings. Even then, that would be a very 'manual' import/export.

Also, when you first use FireFTP, it comes up with a page about the guy with a photo of him + random kid. 
And is it just me? or does the guy look... terrifying?  He looks just like another guy I used to know. I just think "yep, Mac-user/serial-killer... time to smile and walk away slowly."

Crash

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 08:32:49 AM »
What the ... hell is this? Not five minutes since 4 came out and now we're on Firefox 5???
There's no perceptible difference either? This is just getting stupid.

Offline Pumo

• Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 11:56:38 AM »
What? not noticeable differences on FF 5?
So I suppose there's no need to update for now (I'm using 4). :P

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 12:12:10 PM »
yeah, seems awfully quick indeed.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets