Author Topic: Firefox 4  (Read 11105 times)

Crash

Re: Firefox 4
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 01:13:28 PM »
It just updated itself and you would never have known. It just seemed like a minor update to Firefox 4.

It didn't say "Hello, welcome to Firefox 5." I clicked About in the Help menu to discover that and if anyone can tell me the difference, they're a better man than me.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 01:47:28 PM »
I'm with you on this one, I would not have noticed if one of my often used add ons hadn't been disabled.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2011, 01:49:26 PM »
it showed something would be disabled at my works PC, some antivirus, or firewall. I declined it, but accepted the firefox 5 for my home pc.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2011, 02:00:54 PM »
Mozilla has a new release policy to avoid overly long delays between major software releases -> more releases with less changes per release.

Crash

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2011, 02:18:49 PM »
So few changes that they couldn't even put the menus back the way they were. :D

I hate programs that have multiple menus and they're everywhere now. Steam has it, Firefox, Explorer, Media Player, MSN Messenger.
Now, in Office I understand because that's production software and the ribbon works for me, always found it pretty good. But having a smaller number of buttons that take you longer to get to places is stupid... and then keeping the File, Edit, View menus anyway?

It just confuses the hell out of me.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2011, 02:36:42 PM »
So few changes that they couldn't even put the menus back the way they were. :D

I hate programs that have multiple menus and they're everywhere now. Steam has it, Firefox, Explorer, Media Player, MSN Messenger.
Now, in Office I understand because that's production software and the ribbon works for me, always found it pretty good. But having a smaller number of buttons that take you longer to get to places is stupid... and then keeping the File, Edit, View menus anyway?

It just confuses the hell out of me.

menus everywhere? explain.

Crash

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2011, 02:47:41 PM »
Well, if you look at how all those programs are laid-out in terms of the interface, you should see what I mean.

They have a prominent, dumbed-down set of options (as Firefox does cascading from its orange button) and then hidden away, they have the old-fashioned File, Edit etc. menus which you can get at by pressing Alt and which you usually still need (at times) to get at all the menu funtions.

By "everywhere", I mean it's becoming more and more common for applications to lay out their functions this way.

What was wrong with having everything rationalised into a single set of cascading menus?

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 02:56:29 PM »
You must have checked an option to hide them, mine are not. Or maybe I checked an option to show them. ;)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2011, 08:08:40 PM »
I prefer the "traditional" menus to be hidden.  They're called the "Menu Bar" and you just right-click to the side of tabs, and select (or un-select) "Menu bar".

FF 5 seems a LOT like FF 4, but a lot faster.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2011, 09:15:13 PM »
I guess I still don't get it. I have File, Edit, View, History, Bookmarks, Tools, Window and Help.
I don't really see any other menus

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2011, 06:03:44 AM »
I turned down updating FF5 because it warned me that it would disable AVG (my antivirus) in order to run, and I did not like the sound of it at all. Quite happy with Firefox 4 at the moment, especially seeing that it's pretty much the same thing anyway.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2011, 10:51:22 AM »
I guess I still don't get it. I have File, Edit, View, History, Bookmarks, Tools, Window and Help.
I don't really see any other menus

If youi right click to the right side of that, you can choose to hide that bar. As well as the other bars: the one with the address in it, bookmarks bar, and the add on bar, at the bottom of the screen. That would give you a bit bigger view-port. And some people like the clean look.

Or conversely, for those complaining that those are hidden, right click and check which ones you want to see.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2011, 11:33:59 AM »
I just have the arrow keys, home, bookmarks, and that's kind of all, and the menu. it looks big and clean to me.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2011, 07:25:20 PM »
I guess another way of saying how to turn on/off that menu, would be:  Go to the View menu, Toolbars, un-check "Menu Bar"

If the Menu Bar is not currently showing, just press the Alt key once and it will again show (temporarily).

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2011, 03:39:41 AM »
FF5 may require to temporarily disable your AV software just as a preemptive measure to avoid problems, but other software installers do that, too. It will certainly not require AV software to be disabled during regular operation.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets