Author Topic: I POPPED MY LINUX CHERRY!  (Read 4570 times)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
I POPPED MY LINUX CHERRY!
« on: May 10, 2011, 02:12:19 PM »
Well folks, I have finally decided to give Linux a try on the Ubuntu 11.04 Nautilus platform and LOVE it! So far, I have it dual booting with Windows 7 so I can make the transition process smooth. Right now, I am in the process of finding the Linux equivalents of the frequently used Windows programs I use.

I found an EXCELLENT MSPaint replica that does EVERYTHING I need. It is called "Kolour Paint." I need it to "paste from" another file to add graphics to a larger file, and it also zooms in, unlike some of the more popular Linux programs on here.

Still need a good audio recording tool. What I did with Windows 7 and XP is I found songs on YouTube or anywhere I can HEAR a song being played, and I can record it from the "What-U-Hear" mixer of my sound card. Then, "Windows Sound Recorder" can also "delete before current positon" and "delete after current position" when I want to clip off the few seconds of silence at the ends of the recording. I've downloaded Audacity, but it's a little overwhelming to me because I'm new to it. Perhaps it does have these simple features and perhaps it doesn't. But, this is my next quest, finding a Sound Recorded equivalent. And THEN, I can exterminate Windows once and for all!

I was using the Google Chrome browser on Windows 7 and had my bookmarks nice and organized. I downloaded Google Chromium browser, which apparently is the open-source version of Google Chrome and I was able to export and import my bookmarks EXACTLY the way they appear in Google Chrome into Chromium.

I LOVE this! I'm finally getting back the psychological feeling of stability in computing again! Haven't felt this since Windows 98!
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: I POPPED MY LINUX CHERRY!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 02:26:36 PM »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 02:33:35 PM »
Here is the German translation of your thread title:

"ICH HABE MEINE LINUX-KIRSCHE GEPOPPT!"

???

ROFL

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 03:03:57 PM »
@WillyP und Karx: LMAO!

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 12:10:11 AM »
Oh, I should add. Now that I have Ubuntu Linux and Windows 7 on dual boot, I want to fully convert to Linux eventually. That being said...

What's the first thing I should do to get started in converting D1 and D2 to run on Linux with D2X-XL?

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 01:46:16 AM »
Umm ... read the Linux installation instructions for D2X-XL?

I wouldn't completely abandon Win7 (at least if I had a legal license).

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 06:32:33 AM »

I agree, even though I threw away the Vista disc.

If Alieo wants to, he could use ONLY linux, and just have Windows on the side just in case he needs it.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 12:08:52 PM »

I agree, even though I threw away the Vista disc.

If Alieo wants to, he could use ONLY linux, and just have Windows on the side just in case he needs it.
D: You should've sent me your disk, I only have the useless backup disks HP lets you make.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 07:03:04 PM »
AHH! This is very frustrating. I'm trying to record from stereo mixer in Ubuntu 11.04, but the ONLY option I have to record is from a microphone (hell no!) or connect an auxillary cable from my Mic jack to my headphone jack. Doing the mic jack to headphone jack option allows me to record a stereo mix, but I can't hear anything during recording until the very end.

I've scoured for solutions on Google from various forums and have tried everything, but there is NO option in Audacity to switch to recording from stereo mixer, or even "what-U-hear." This is such a road block in my conversion from Windows to Linux. Does Ubuntu just suck, or are other Linux OS's out there better, like, say, Mandriva?

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 07:07:32 PM »
Well, is it a Driver thing, an OS thing, or a program thing?

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 07:36:34 PM »
I don't really know because I can do the stereo mix recording JUST fine in Windows 7 but it's impossible in Ubuntu.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 05:27:25 AM »
Well, is it a Driver thing, an OS thing, or a program thing?

It's a driver thing.

Alieo, what are your audio drivers?  I know that I had thought for the longest time that microphone was the only available recording option but then I found a stereo mix option in Realtek HD Audio in the control panel.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 05:28:26 AM »
I'd try Mandriva for ya, but like I said, I don't have it; girl friend has my laptop. It may be the Linux OS, or hardware, or not compatible.

I was told some things like 'wine' which can run windows software (games also) on your linux system. Some Linux OS's will run it better than others.

Like I said, you can try Mandriva, or searching on google, some may say "it works great with this OS" with recording stuff.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 12:24:54 PM »
Okay, herez-a what I'm-a gonna do...

I'm going to install Mandriva on my failing Dell laptop that was "recovered" from the recent malware attack. It has XP though, so I'm hoping it'll be a good test guinea pig.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 12:30:19 PM »
If it doesn't work with Ubuntu, it won't work with another Linux distro.

You will soon find out that Linux is a mixed bag. You just don't have as many options as under Windows, because it's way less wide spread and thus not as profitable. As it is now, Linux is just my secondary system, plus my OS of choice for highly security relevant stuff (like online banking). You will also only start to really appreciate Linux if you learn more than just the basics of its configuration, and learn to use a shell and shell commands.

Otherwise the first time a new kernel isn't compatible with a proprietary video driver you are using you won't be able to fix that - and you won't be able to Google for a solution. As far as I am concerned, using Linux without a fallback system is at least problematic. Using Windows w/o a fallback system rather isn't.

I'd go for openSUSE, btw.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 04:14:18 PM by karx-elf-erx »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets