Author Topic: [News] D2X-XL Gameplay Video  (Read 6074 times)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: [News] D2X-XL Gameplay Video
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 05:32:48 AM »
Watched the Lunar Outpost Reloaded vid, pretty nice. I like all the little changes you've implemented, like borrowing the laser effects from D3 to implement in D2X-XL.

Though I do have a few questions, such as, why do the Class 1 drone's shots bounce? And can the 3D models for the hostages be turned on or off? 3D models for them do seem like the obvious thing to do, but I think I might actually prefer the old 2D models for now, just because they're more animated (even though they pretty much are just cardboard cutouts stood on end. I guess the real hostages were on a coffee break. :P).
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 05:47:41 AM »
Karx changed the class 1 drones' weapon to phoenix cannon in Reloaded.  If you're asking why he did it, I don't know but I suspect it had something to do with increasing the challenge (the original Lunar Outpost was pretty easy after all  ::)).

I'm seriously sick of the 'classic favourite mines' - Lunar Outpost and Ahayweh Gate (not so much PTMC Data Retention Center because it was bigger).  But I love LOR because it brings something new (and makes it longer, it's not just playing through the same way with better graphics).

What I'd really love is Pluto Outpost Reloaded -- because Pluto Outpost still is my favourite D1 level.

I guess the real hostages were on a coffee break.

Lol.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 05:56:37 AM »
There are a couple D1 levels I'd like to see "reloaded" myself, like level 8, the first of the Mars levels. I've played through that level so often, I know it like the back of my hand. :P

Somebody's just gotta take the time to build them, however.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 07:17:11 AM »
Morabi Milk Mine Reloaded!  :D

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 07:53:42 AM »
You can turn the 3D hostages off. The class 1 drones have better guns because otherwise they'd be such a pathetic enemy. The level still isn't hard to beat.

It took several weeks to build LOR. I built it because that fabuluos remake of this level for the Unreal Engine (I think it was the 2003 engine) inspired me to it, and because it is "the" Descent level probably every Descent holds fond memories of, since it's the first level of the game most of them (us) will have seen. I will certainly not build another level with that detail after an original D1 or D2 level though.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 06:27:55 AM »
Didn't think you would. I know it takes quite a bit of effort to build those high-quality D2X-XL levels.
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets