Author Topic: Osama Bin Laden is dead  (Read 30872 times)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2011, 03:34:40 PM »
Ask Scyphi, I'm quick to pick up on those little wording things and then teasing people with them.  ;D

Crash

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2011, 04:43:41 PM »
Late to the party cos of work but I wanna talk about the ... Stealth Helicopter!
The americans are amazing. It'll not be long before they develop the Mobile Suit.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2011, 05:34:26 PM »
What about a stealth helicopter? They almost had that with the AMAZING Comanche! But they scrapped that project because we're not fighting technologicly advanced nations with radar, but Middle Eastern dudes using sticks and stones and eating lizards.

Mobile Suits are highly unlikely. Mechs like MechWarrior are the most likely thing. Power Armor is what they are working on.

You know, my favorite quote works in every war situation.
"The world won't change for the better unless we trust people. Trust is vital in a peaceful world...but that'll never happen."-Larry "Pixy" Foulke (Ace Combat 0)

or

"If you are going to fight a war, do it effeciently, unremittingly, or don't do it at all--I'm not into ethics, I'm into effeciency."-Benjamin St. John, "Descent" by Peter Telep
:P
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2011, 05:12:15 AM »
"If you are going to fight a war, do it effeciently, unremittingly, or don't do it at all--I'm not into ethics, I'm into effeciency."-Benjamin St. John, "Descent" by Peter Telep
:P

Still looking for the first two books.  I really liked Equinox - did a great job of making the (terrible) D3 story into something actually good.
Checking all sorts of vintage and rare book stores, but no luck.
If I get really desperate I guess I could use Ebay.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2011, 05:39:46 AM »
Y'know, I should either read those books, or ask somebody who's read them to just tell me the plots. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2011, 07:38:26 AM »
Play Descent 1, 2 and 3. Congradulations. You now know the gist of the plots ;)

It's the DETAILS that you must, MUST see!
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Crash

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2011, 10:35:58 AM »
I thought the D3 storyline was pretty satisfactory - moreso than D1 and D2 because ... it actually 'existed' and permeated and dictated the sequence of levels rather than just framing the game at the beginning and end like D1 and D2.
That was one of the things that I liked most about D3, in conjunction with the more varied mission objectives and environments.
I wasn't so sure about its selection of weapons insofar as the Helix and Spread guns were completely missing in favour of the totally redundant microwave gun.

The Commanche is certainly a remarkable craft. I'm sure that it was probably put into limited production 'just in case' (so as not to waste the development costs) as seems to have been done with this Stealth Blackhawk.
That programme was supposed to have been scrapped before any units could be delivered and yet ...
I'm not sure the F-22 Raptor has ever seen true active service in the sense that it was ever used in anger but it still exists.

The mobile suit is surely practical, it's just more advanced than a traditional 'mech'. It may be further away, I agree, but it is the more logical conclusion; being as robust and yet more ... well, "mobile".

Some of my favourite quotes come from the game Aquanox, which as a 3D underwater vehicular shooter, you may well know.
The characters in that sequence of games is wonderful, less so with Aquanox2 and it's a crying, crying shame that the developer folded.
There was another game where the story and dialogue was panned and where I disagreed on that point.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2011, 11:22:28 AM »
Quote from: Crash
Some of my favourite quotes come from the game Aquanox, which as a 3D underwater vehicular shooter, you may well know.

Honestly, I've always considered Aquanox to be an excellent example of how not to do voice acting. Besides the fantastic, dead-pan, emotionless delivery of the opening cutscene, the voice acting goes from bad to laughably bad to beyond laughably bad quite frequently. Still makes a pretty fun almost-6DOF shooter.

If anyone hasn't played it, you can pick it up at Good Old Games for five bucks, I think. You'll definitely want to go back to Descent after playing it, but it's an enjoyable shoot-'em-up, nonetheless.  ;)
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Crash

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2011, 12:14:10 PM »
Hmm, its gameplay is a bit sluggish, which reminds you that you're underwater, so aiming takes some practice and torpedos should be more effective in homing as well. The second Aquanox fixes that a bit is fairly characterless compared Aquanox1. The original, DOS Archimedean Dynasty game had automated point-def turrets on the ships and was a very tactical simulator, whereas the successors were cruder shooters.

I liked some of the voice acting exactly because it was so deadpan, especially where the main character listens to a ruthless enemy's immense, overblown diatribe.  At the end you feel a little nervous about what's to come in the game and the main character just comes back and says, completely deadpan: "Do you ... write your own material?".
Yes, I thought the fact that things weren't horribly over-acted was quite a refreshing change. It rather re-inforced the brooding, cyber-punk atmosphere. Infact half the characters sounded as though they were strung out on tsunami-boosters and breathing gas, you're quite right.

It was unfortunate that the ships' handling wouldn't let you roll the ship over onto its back. The missions were excellent though with a good range of floating and ground targets; both large and small and some of the late-in-game weapons were superb. The graphics are probably better than D3 too and it runs on a pittance in terms of hardware.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2011, 12:31:02 PM »
Since I was curious, I looked up recordings of the Aquanox voice acting to listen and gauge. Found a recording of the intro. Lasted about a minute into it before I got bored of that monotonous voice and shut it off. That minute of story I caught, for that matter, probably didn't help. :P

Maybe I should've listened more...but admittedly, I'm really not that interested in doing so.

But oh well. In my experience, it seems games by a general rule of thumb are usually subject to bad voice acting. Occasionally there are exceptions, but not always. Personally, I think if you can get the voice acting good enough that you can, in your mind, look past the glaring faults, then that's good enough. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2011, 01:14:31 PM »
Like Metroid Other M. The voice acting from Samus wasn't very good, but it'll grow on you eventually. Gameplay was through the roof IMO, so bad voice acting isn't an excuse for me.

I think that they should have used the "original voice of Samus," Jennifer Hale. She did all of the pain sound effects for Samus in the Prime series. If you want to see one of her biggest samples, watch any video from Mass Effect 2 with the female Shepard.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2011, 04:29:24 PM »
Wow, what happened to this thread?  :o

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2011, 04:54:24 PM »
Quote from: Crash

Honestly, I've always considered Aquanox to be an excellent example of how not to do voice acting. Besides the fantastic, dead-pan, emotionless delivery of the opening cutscene, the voice acting goes from bad to laughably bad to beyond laughably bad quite frequently. Still makes a pretty fun almost-6DOF shooter.

If anyone hasn't played it, you can pick it up at Good Old Games for five bucks, I think. You'll definitely want to go back to Descent after playing it, but it's an enjoyable shoot-'em-up, nonetheless.  ;)

I think that is because it's a German title and at that time (small and/or German - usually not a contradiction) gaming companies didn't have much money to spend on good voice actors. The German voice acting is quite well though as far as I can remember (but don't hold me to it, it's been a long time since I've played that game).

Crash

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2011, 05:32:43 PM »
Yeah, apparently the German players didn't find their original version so bad.
I would love to know on what criterion the Aquanox: Angels' Tears was rejected by Sony's Playstation Quality Testing.
I mean the other games were very solid, so I don't see why that one should have been so problematic. If you look at the screenshots for it, it looked like tremendously good fun.
They shoulda stuck the finger at Sony and released on PC.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2011, 07:28:25 PM »
Bringing it back on topic. Discuss one of these main points that I found. Pay heed to the bottom paragraph.

I was reading the news....

Al-Quida is pissed.

They're to derpy to realize that we already hurried Osama so they are saying "don't mistreat the body. I'd bet you aren't going to follow tradition, whine whine whine QQ.

Everyone is shifty eyed towards Pakistan because Osama was across the street in the Hilton. Your average Joe wants to pull the plug on financial support for Pakistan. It is like, "what are we paying them for? Sure, they find a few guys in the caves, but c'mon..."

Plans were discovered for DERAILING A TRAIN on SEPTEMBER 11 THIS YEAR. I would recommend NOT RIDING on any TRAINS that day just in case the terrorists decide to go through with that plan.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets