Author Topic: D2X-XL shadowing improved  (Read 4833 times)

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
D2X-XL shadowing improved
« on: April 21, 2011, 05:51:14 AM »
The last week has seen me dig into shadow mapping, and I have mastered the basics of it, but the further I got the more I had to realize how deep that rabbit hole really is, and how mathematical it gets to produce high quality shadows with shadow mapping.

So I took a few good ideas I had from that over to the current shadowing system (volume stencil shadows), improving these.

The first improvement is that when glow effects are enabled,  instead of the annoyingly hard shadows soft ones will be produced which looks waaaaay better.

The other improvement is to have only bright dynamic (moving) light sources cast shadows (i.e. weapon fire, explosions, headlights). That makes for a very dynamic and interactive shadowing which imo looks both better and makes more sense than the previous method of picking the brightest and closest static lights for shadow casting. You now have a visible correspondence between shadows and light sources casting them, making the system much more plausible.

Please don't ask me to mask shadows off light emitting faces though. ;)

« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 10:29:49 AM by ...WillyP... »

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
Re: [News] D2X-XL shadowing improved
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 07:43:03 AM »
Nice! I'll have to check this out.

...the previous method of picking the brightest and closest static lights for shadow casting.

Yeah, that method seemed odd when the closest/brightest shadow-source would change, suddently moving the shadow to a different place.  Sounds like this new method should be much better, and more dynamic!

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 09:17:35 AM »
looks nice  8)

I hope to get the Descent games rolling soon. I miss those games. my biggest game series has been Call of Duty and Descent.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: D2X-XL shadowing improved
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 06:12:02 AM »
I still need to get Descent and the such on my new laptop...
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Jeremy.west

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 07:55:49 AM »
looks nice  8)

I hope to get the Descent games rolling soon. I miss those games. my biggest game series has been Call of Duty and Descent.

me too. call of Duty is type of addiction. hope descent will too
Muhaaahahaha

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets