Author Topic: [Locked] Something to think about  (Read 31105 times)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
[Locked] Something to think about
« on: April 27, 2011, 09:43:11 PM »
I don't normally get too serious on here. I like to play things a bit on the light side. I can't say I would request this to be the new soupe du jour, but if so, I think this may be one of the only ones I could come up with that I would think could be suited for it.
Anyways,

I was at work when I came across a video that talked about 300+ people believing it's the end of the world on the 21st of May. I personally don't believe in it. I believe there are a series of things that need to happen that is mentioned in the bible. What is hard to swallow is that there are people who are ready to quit their jobs or have already.
I obviously can't tell people what to do, what to believe in.
I don't believe it will end, neither will this world end on 12.21.12, but there are those that will believe in that no matter what.
If you do, you do.

But it did get me thinking today. Just supposing the end of the world was coming up, and we wasted too much time with technology and not enough time with friends. Even if the world will continue to exist for 500 years, we won't.
I look back and think of the wasted things I have done. I don't expect people to treat each day like it's the last day. I don't expect people to just suddenly feel like they have to go on some wild road trip and spend all of their money.
But is it worth going through life and not spending more time with others? or whatever else is important to you?
Once my job ends, which is the 11th of May, I am not going to waste my time on the internet like I have been there. I will do what I can to enjoy life, despite what happened to me in the past.
Who knows, human nature. I may forget this in a day and go on through life like I always have.
Maybe this is a pointless topic. Maybe it isn't.

I just hope you all are enjoying life and I know times can be tough. It doesn't mean toss it aside. Keep what is best, hard or not. Toss out the junk.

That's just my two cents.

Thanks for being good friends. Hopefully I'll get a descent 3 iMac disc and see you in the mines.

~~Vanguard
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 05:54:21 PM by D2Junkie »

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
Re: Something to think about
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 01:07:38 PM »
Definitely something to think about. I'm not so consistent on the forums anymore, because I'm quite active outside of the interwebz (and right now, I'm kind of addicted to Metroid: Other M ;)). Actually, yesterday, there was a huge line of storms that pummeled the Southeast, and over 90 tornados shredded the state of Alabama alone, leaving 130 dead and counting. One of these came right by my girlfriend's family's house, where I was (I'm considering writing a soupe about this experience, but that's for later).

Being so close to death and witnessing the destruction, I must say that it helps me answer these questions. Am I really spending my life the way I should spend it? Or am I wasting it? It's always a tough thing to think about. In a moment, I'm leaving to clean up some of the destruction in Arab, Alabama. Hopefully that will put things into perspective for me.  :D
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 01:14:18 PM »
(I'm considering writing a soupe about this experience, but that's for later).

i sort of sense a certain amount of sarcasm, or something.  :-[

but about that tornado, that's too bad. Once again, we're getting hit by a lot of them.

Offline Bettina

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 03:38:44 PM »
Vanguard

The good part is that life on earth has about a billion years remaining so you have plenty of time to be with friends. As for me, and assuming a life on earth ending asteroid was going to hit earth near where I live, and since it would be pointless to run or hide, I would want to be at ground zero while using my technology to communicate with my friends the awsome event barrelling in toward me. I would stand in awe with my arms outstretched.  :)    

Then, after were gone, the earth itself will go on for another 6 or 7 billion years totally devoid of any form of intelligent life before finally being consumed by the ever expanding sun.

Enjoy your summer but if you really want to do something that makes you feel good, then make a difference to some person, some place, or some thing. Honestly, I found your post inspiring and I felt good reading it.

Bettina
"When the gift is the music, it comes from the heart that sings"

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 03:48:36 PM »
The good part is that life on earth has about a billion years remaining

Unlikely.

so you have plenty of time to be with friends.

Certainly less than you are suggesting.

Offline Bettina

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 04:21:23 PM »
I can get better responses from the magic 8 ball.  :) Care to get into more detail? I'm always willing to correct myself if I'm wrong.

Bee
"When the gift is the music, it comes from the heart that sings"

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 04:31:42 PM »
I agree with that, Bet.

Why so negative, Diedel? That wasn't really Bettina's point at all (nice to see you again, too, Bett, as always :)).

Besides, I did some research, and it turns out that she's right. Assuming, of course, that nothing like an asteroid strikes the Earth or we don't blow up ourselves, evidence suggests that life on Earth would likely continue for another billion years or so until the Sun, as it starts to grow old and turn into a red giant, heats up the Earth too much and life as we know it will no longer be able to survive.

Earth itself, however, probably wouldn't survive the suggested six to seven billion years as the sun continues to age and expand after that point, due to tidal forces the sun would exert on the planet probably being enough to tear it apart. But I suppose that wouldn't really matter anymore by then, now would it, because we humans would be long gone.

This explains all of the above in a bit better detail.

Anyway, as for Vanguard's comments, I have to commend you on your deep thinking, and I certainly agree that sometimes people loose sight of what's really important and get distracted with things really aren't. And I can certainly understand having to limit interaction on the Internet in favor of a life. Really, it's kind of a miracle I personally have managed to stay as active for as long as I have and still get by with life. Sometimes I'm really not sure how I do it.  ::)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 08:19:51 PM »
The world ends in 2012. Once the Earth lines up with the galactic center, it's all over.....OH WAIT! That happens every year at the same time! Nevermind then! XD

I also agree with Bett. Plus she knows how to go out in style.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 03:49:53 AM »
I doubt it will last billions of years. I don't know if I mind one way or another. Some day, I'll be with the Lord. I'm glad you enjoyed the post Bettina, and hello again. and thanks to anyone else who enjoyed it.

I'm not worried. I am just tired of wasting my time on things that don't really matter. Even if the world is around for a billion years, we won't be. 100 some years max.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 11:58:02 AM »
Apologies, I had no intention of sounding sarcastic. Your post just so happened to the subject of my thoughts here these past few days. :) I just meant that I thought about soon posting a soupe about the experience I had being one of the first responders to the disaster area of an EF5-class tornado. It makes you look at life as far too precious to (only) spend surfing the net and watching TV. Sadly, the opportunity to go to Arab, AL fell through, but I would certainly ask for the thoughts and prayers of those on this forum. Alabama is in great distress, with over 130 people dead (last I heard) and hundreds are without homes or transportation or both.

On the unrelated subject, I more or less agree with Karx, but for spiritual reasons (though if the Lord wants to come back in five billion years, then more power to Him). :P
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 12:01:03 PM by D2Junkie »
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 12:35:02 PM »
it's okay. sometimes it's hard to tell on here.

About the tornado, I know, I saw some pictures, and how many died. I don't even want to imagine how hard the survivors have it. I thought it was bad enough having my dad pass away and me moving into my sisters house. That does not compare to what happened in Alabama, by far.

We can always pray, we can always ask.

We all think differently about the end of the world. Some think it's 5-21-11, some think 12-21-12, some think 10 years, some think a billion.
I just hope people don't quit their jobs (and I'm sure a lot did during all of these "It's the end of the World" speeches).

Imagine the nightmare, quitting a job, spending all of your money, maybe even leaving your house and going on some road trip only to discover.........."life is still going on."

If I see the end of the world, "if", not "when", I hope to be wise about it, and not just give up on all sorts of stuff and wait.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 12:41:05 PM by Vanguard »

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 12:53:47 PM »
...If I see the end of the world, "if", not "when", I hope to be wise about it, and not just give up on all sorts of stuff and wait.

Very well said. ;)
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 07:02:41 AM »
Concurred, that's probably the biggest thing we should all be walking away from this with. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 09:24:39 AM »
I will simply say that I don't buy into any doomsday preachings, and that I shall simply live every day to its fullest regardless, and never just give up. There are very few ways to lose in the game of life (u c wut i did thar?). Giving up is one of them.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 02:39:26 PM »
I'm not trying to enforce or, make myself look better, but I need to re-read this topic I created. My head is spinning. I need help. I need advice, and I have no where to turn. Everyone I have spoken to, have heard it 1000 times,

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets