Author Topic: BASSMIDI Soft Synth for Windows  (Read 7960 times)

Offline Sidhe Priest

• Gold
  • Blackstar jockey.
    • Pyromania
BASSMIDI Soft Synth for Windows
« on: April 30, 2011, 10:27:06 PM »
Kode54 has released a driver version of the BASSMIDI soft synth by Ian Luck. This is the synth that Ian wrote for his player, XMPlay. You can download the soft synth here. It works with Soundfont banks. Here's how it plays Descent.mid with my own Silverspring bank (which is quite complex). It's not ideal (the synth bass 2 sounds monstrous/huge on a Creative card, say), but it works.

So finally there's a quality soft-synth SF2 driver for Windows. If you need something to play MIDI music with, this one is it. DOSBox will output MIDI to Windows' default device when Descent is set to use "General MIDI". Get a decent Soundfont bank and there'll be some lively MIDI music.

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
Re: BASSMIDI Soft Synth for Windows
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 12:32:53 AM »
Sounds very interesting (and hopefully easier to setup than Timidity). Do you know if it does have a limit on Soundfont size, or it loads whatever Soundfont you put on it as long as you have enough memory?

Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline Sidhe Priest

• Gold
  • Blackstar jockey.
    • Pyromania
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 12:49:15 AM »
Looks like the size is only limited by memory.

It doesn't load instruments until needed, which is a bit of a problem... With large/complex banks there's crackle and dropouts when loading instruments the first time. The method sure preserves memory, but sometimes the song needs a restart to play fine after the instruments are loaded.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 12:52:56 AM by Sidhe Priest »

Offline Pumo

• Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 09:52:43 AM »
Cool. I've tested with a custom soundfont I made (around 500~ MB) and it works perfectly. Great find Sidhe Priest!

This is definitely a must have! :thumbs up:

Crash

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 04:48:56 PM »
This is brilliant and I salute you for your submission. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I look forward to getting proper MIDI from my Win7 system.

Offline Sidhe Priest

• Gold
  • Blackstar jockey.
    • Pyromania
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 05:12:19 PM »
What language.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 05:10:16 AM »
I'd love to see a soundfont where the Choir Aahs are changed to ominous latin chanting - maybe a different latin word for each note.

This sounds cool but I have no idea how to set these things up, and I don't use midi much anymore anyway.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 05:36:12 AM »
Neither do I, mostly because foobar (to my honest surprise) apparently won't play them. At least, I never got it to work. So I made mp3 copies of them instead. Same midi-style music, just now in a more modern mp3 format.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 06:25:00 AM »
Foobar2000 needs a plugin, foo_midi in order to play MIDI files. With foo_midi you can then select from one of several synths (including BASSMIDI) and pick a soundfont of your preference (but out of weirdness I tend to just use a roland soundfont. heh)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 09:07:56 AM »

Crash

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 09:30:34 AM »
What language.
I'm not sure I quite follow you.

Offline Sidhe Priest

• Gold
  • Blackstar jockey.
    • Pyromania
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 11:11:25 AM »
I'd love to see a soundfont where the Choir Aahs are changed to ominous latin chanting - maybe a different latin word for each note.

What's your soundcard? Creative's Vienna Soundfont editor is free, but it uses the hardware engine of Creative soundcards.

It might be doable if you can find a choir that can sing the words, and record that. There were some chanting instruments out there, but not in Soundfont format, and usually they don't have complete note mapping, e. g. it's usually one real unity note for two-four neighbouring, if not a whole octave.

Offline Pumo

• Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 08:59:15 PM »
There's an (also free) alternative to Vienna.
It's called Viena (with just a single 'N') and can edit soundfonts on any soundcard (it doesn't depends on Creative hardware).

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets