Author Topic: Descent 3 Sector  (Read 11733 times)

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
Descent 3 Sector
« on: April 18, 2011, 02:09:36 AM »
Descent 3 Sector - makeover!

After a few years of collecting dust on the server, I finally decided to update Descent 3 Sector with a brand spanking new template and all new content to boot! Descent 3 Sector now not only stocks Sectorgame's in-house levels and projects - but also that of the entire community! I am currently in the progress of uploading Descent 3 content to our download section - A painstaking 1 file at a time process - But I will get it done! In the meantime, feel free to browse our site and check for errors and missing links/files that we should have. You can use the shoutbox on the right side of the page to leave quick comments!

How to submit content

Descent 3 Sector is fully featured with a gallery and download database. If you have screenshots you wish to add to our gallery, simply click the 'Upload New' button under the gallery heading and you can send up to five pictures at a time. Note that they will not be added straight away - And you don't need to select a category, I will do that for you. :)

To add files to our download database you will need to register in the User Area. Once registered you can upload as many Descent 3 related items as you like. Right now I am in the process of uploading Multiplayer levels to the server - It will need some time - But once that is done and you still can't find certain levels on our server (in particular more recent releases) then either send it in or let me know.

Check out the site here: http://www.sectorgame.com/d3/index.php
Sectorgame.com - Descent and Freespace mods/levels.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Re: Descent 3 Sector
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 10:18:33 PM »

Offline Jeremy.west

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 07:59:26 AM »
happy to here that
Muhaaahahaha

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 06:11:55 PM »
You sir are a cyborg.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 07:45:33 PM »

Crash

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 03:32:27 AM »
So, what is it basically? Is it like a map repository?

Offline DarkWing

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 08:21:01 AM »
* DarkWing strolls in after a loooong 'absence' ...

Go there and see.

Some of the best Descent 3 levels have been discussed (and developed) by people who frequent that site.  That's one of their favorite discussion places while working on those projects.  It's been around a long time.

Crash

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 10:52:35 AM »
Yeah, I went and it wasn't obvious. That's why I asked.
Why not put an intro on the site? Those Basewars screenshots are great though.

Actually, no - my bad, it's at the bottom of the page.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 01:05:28 PM »
I actually thought it was slightly strange that Army of Haloon has almost nothing to do with Sectorgame.  Being the biggest D3 project that ever got a release (and is still being worked on).

On that thought, the entire secrecy thing about AOH was really fun.  I remember describing the entire project on here a couple years ago as a sort of 'what if' scenario.  And the response from everyone else was that it would never happen.   ;D

And then I was just laughing at everyone.

Crash

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 03:10:58 PM »
Oh, I've heard those words many times before myself.
Usually the ones who say it the most repeatedly and vociferously are the smallest-minded.
The best responses you can give are: "Watch me" and "Blow it out your a**".

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 04:46:11 PM »
 :o But that would ruin the fun.

The whole point is to say something that no-one's going to believe and yet you know it's actually true.

Crash

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 05:04:30 PM »
No, I'm right there with you but when it's a thing that you have personal control over and people are naysaying it, you might as well let them know ahead of time where they can shove their skepticism.
One thing is that naysayers evaluate your chances of success according to their limitations, be they ... lack of determination, perseverence or just skill in some cases.
If you point that out to them, they're normally pretty speechless.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 05:13:29 PM by Crash »

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 07:06:42 PM »
I actually thought it was slightly strange that Army of Haloon has almost nothing to do with Sectorgame.  Being the biggest D3 project that ever got a release (and is still being worked on).

On that thought, the entire secrecy thing about AOH was really fun.  I remember describing the entire project on here a couple years ago as a sort of 'what if' scenario.  And the response from everyone else was that it would never happen.   ;D

And then I was just laughing at everyone.
Something tells me secretiveness is not what he's going for.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 07:59:20 PM »
No, I'm right there with you but when it's a thing that you have personal control over and people are naysaying it, you might as well let them know ahead of time where they can shove their skepticism.
One thing is that naysayers evaluate your chances of success according to their limitations, be they ... lack of determination, perseverence or just skill in some cases.
If you point that out to them, they're normally pretty speechless.

I think you're missing my point.
Hunter is... closer... I think... despite also being completely wrong.  At least he read the whole thing :D.

The point is that they don't know.  Then I can play them like violin--- I mean, have some fun.  ;D

They need to find out on their own at the right time... otherwise I have no future opportunities.  There were a whole lot of other hints I dropped here.  The skepticism is what makes it fun.  You feel powerful because you're the only one who knows which person is right - and then you reveal it to them later (on release day).  And it's a harmless sort of power because you can't do anything with it -- as soon as you give the reveal you lose it.

Naysayers evaluate your chances of success... that doesn't change your chances of success.  It just makes the reveal that much bigger a surprise.  And all the more reason to only give the reveal when you're done and it's releasing.

What's even better is when everyone else is convinced they're right... classic comedy moment when you give the reveal so much later.  And because you gave it some time they're not as likely to feel humiliated... it's (mostly) harmless.  Later you can remind them of it like this :D.

Why do I have a giant hungry coyote as my laptop wallpaper?  To startle people who want to use said laptop (practical joke).  I need to make sure they don't know what the wallpaper is until they see it after they're done.  Then I want to see them jump.  Same idea here... except if they jump it's not because they're startled.

Unfortunately I've never had a stranger ask to use my laptop... but it startles me sometimes!

And no that's not completely irrelevant.  Only mostly.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 08:16:24 PM by wazzazzle »

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 08:52:31 PM »
I'm wrong about what?

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets