Author Topic: Firefox 4 - No Status bar?  (Read 13792 times)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Firefox 4 - No Status bar?
« on: April 13, 2011, 10:49:11 AM »
I had finally decided, as a tradition, to clean out the computer. When I got the PC up and running, I went over to download Firefox, only to find out that it is now Firefox 4.
Problem? Where is that status bar at the bottom? It feels so unnatural and almost hard not seeing it.
Anyone find a way to get it, if it exists anymore?

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
Re: Firefox 4 - No Status bar?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 12:20:39 PM »
There are extensions to reenable it, one of which is Status-4-Evar

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 11:52:18 AM »
thank you. that one works. I don't know why they have to mess with things. if anything, it should be an option in "view" or something.
anyway,

thanks!

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 01:26:09 PM »
There are extensions to reenable it, one of which is Status-4-Evar
I love you!

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 06:43:28 PM »
For some reason browser designers are deciding that 'less' is 'better' when it comes to browsing. I don't know about you, but I like having my status bar, file menu and 'refresh' button up there.
Sectorgame.com - Descent and Freespace mods/levels.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 06:48:35 PM »
For some reason browser designers are deciding that 'less' is 'better' when it comes to browsing. I don't know about you, but I like having my status bar, file menu and 'refresh' button up there.
Which is ironic because it's actually MORE without the status bar because it has that annoying pop-up thing with the URL in it.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 08:08:22 PM »
Which is ironic because it's actually MORE without the status bar because it has that annoying pop-up thing with the URL in it.
That "annoying pop-up thing with the URL in it" is perhaps 90% of everything the former status bar ever showed you.  While that "annoying pop-up thing" is there, you know the page load hasn't completed and you see what addresses it's trying to get to.  The progress bar/animation is now showed in the tab for the page.  Security status of the current page is displayed or indicated in the address bar.  Thus, there was almost nothing (if not nothing) left that the address bar provided.  This allows you to get that much more web page displayed.

It also makes sense that they would eliminate it if it was no longer necessary.  Maximize Firefox 4 and if your tabs position is still in the default position in FF4 (above the address bar) then the tabs are placed in the browser's header, saving even more space while keeping the look clean yet functional.  Hide the Bookmarks bar (it's really only needed by some) and don't have any add-on toolbars ... and you've got lots more browser window and your features are still available.  Doing away with the status bar provides even more viewable web page.

Personally, I don't get what the big deal is about.  If there was any useful info in the status bar that isn't displayed somewhere else... I'd miss it to, but there isn't, so I'm not bothered about it.  Chrome doesn't have a status bar (perhaps never had one) and Safari doesn't show any info at all in the 'status bar' except for the same address info that Firefox still shows. About the only thing IE shows in it's status bar that other browser do not ... is the page zoom controls which ironically most people ignore or actually forget is there (it isn't needed either).

My thoughts about it.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 08:26:14 PM »
mine is big enough. 21/5 inch screen monitor. only has status bar, and bookmarks. and of course, where it shows "back, forward, home, refresh..."
I have seen some with so many toolbars, that literally fill half the screen.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 12:45:19 AM »
The thing is, with most addons (2 of them that I have, including Personas) you have the bar on the bottom that used to be the status bar anyway, except this time it's mostly just empty space instead of being used.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 07:31:57 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what are those two add-ons?

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 08:40:47 PM »
Personas and IE Tab. But certainly not the only ones by any means. It is called the "add-on bar" for a reason.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 09:20:12 PM »
i know the status bar seems awfully bare, but I like to see the link show it is done, or if I highlight something, it will show me the url/link.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 09:51:47 PM »
That's what I'm saying, Vanguard. I'm not sure why they got rid of it when a lot of add-ons cause it to be added anyway as an "add-on bar" that serves no purpose other than having a single icon in the corner. Might as well use it as the status bar, otherwise it's wasted space.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 02:00:06 PM »
Turn off the add-on bar.  Those add-ons that are shown there can all be place in the Navigation Bar (which is where they really should be, IMHO).  Right-click on the add-on bar and click Customize.  Click-drag the add-on's icon from the add-on bar up to your Navigation bar and let go when at the spot you want.  Click Done on the Customize dialog, then click the 'x' at the left end of the add-on bar to turn it off.  That way you get the add-on abilities plus you reclaim the wasted space.

I did that with mine (Personas works just fine from the Navigation bar).

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 01:17:58 PM »
The way I have my monitors set up, my add-on bar is where the taskbar usually is, so I really don't lose any space. Honestly it looks kind of strange if I disable it, having no buffer whatsoever between content and edge of monitor.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets