Author Topic: Coups  (Read 11127 times)

Offline DinoCrisisFan

• Silver
Coups
« on: March 30, 2011, 02:29:58 PM »
On a popular website I go to, Bungie.net, someone created a third party script for Greasemonkey. It works for Firefox and Google Chrome. It lets people who use the script have custom profile information that isn't supposed to be on the site, but appears for the user, as well as others who use the script. It lets the users have their own custom avatars that can be pretty much anything as well as custom usernames, custom text, and more. Someone should make a script like that for here, it's completely off-site and so there's nothing the moderators could do about it. So, who wants to make a script so we can have our own custom coups here?

Example of coups (I'm Jesus):

Coup user edit area example:

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
Re: Coups
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 04:31:21 PM »
Remind me why we need this?

Offline DinoCrisisFan

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 04:53:13 PM »
Remind me why we need this?
For the lulz?

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 05:42:55 AM »
I am not too fond of profiles in general, either dating site profiles, forum profiles, facebook, etc. That's just me.

Speaking of forums, there are some I am planning on not going to anymore.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 06:59:04 AM »
the nice thing about forum profiles really is that you can put as much or as little as you could ever want in them, in most cases at least (aka every community I've been to).

Honestly, however, I could see a clientside script like this just leading to confusion.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 08:27:08 AM »
Part of what I think has allowed PD to stick around for so long is the fact that it doesn't give in to fads like this, and sticks with the basics.

Furthermore, I agree with everyone else. Adopting scripts like this will probably only lead to trouble and confusion.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 11:33:05 AM »
I like things simple. I prefer one Operating System, not two or more. One email account. one phone number. etc. I like things simple. I just do. Having more forum profiles, social sites like facebook, and that twitter, blogs, etc etc... is just too much.

I do appreciate you suggesting this, and in some cases, it may be a great thing. I don't know if it's a Planet Descent thing though.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 05:08:40 PM »
lol, I guess we are just not the lulz loving group you thought we would be. And as far as there being nothing the mods could do, guess again. Ever hear of the Hammer of Ban?  ;)

Anyway, you already have a highly customizable profile here. What more do you want?
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Crash

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 01:07:33 AM »
It seems to me like one of those solutions without a problem.

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 03:59:39 PM »
It seems to me like one of those solutions without a problem.

I Totally agree. :nod:
I don't really think that would be needed here on PD.
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 06:58:58 AM »
Yeah, I like the PD as it is right now, SIMPLE.

In fact, the PD is one of the rare forums I ever follow, and keep coming back...

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 07:21:40 AM »
Yep, Crash said it best.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Top Gun

• Silver
  • PD Pyro
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 01:40:28 PM »
This guy has posted essentially the same thing at a bunch of different forums all over the Interwebs.  Feel free to ignore him.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 08:48:03 PM »
A. I don't think she's a guy, http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?topic=685.msg8764#msg8764

and B. this person has responded in other topics that seem legit.

Each forum and way of talking is different. Like this powerup/powerdown feature you have. Penumbra did the same (http://www.penumbra-overture.com) but they took it off. I see no reason why any forum would have one, but maybe there is.
However, to give someone a negative powerup especially without saying why, is sort of pointless. nothing personal.

why do I have -1? I don't know. Did I offend someone? say something they didn't want to hear? were they just crabby and giving some random people a -1 powerup? who knows.

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 12:07:07 AM »
I'm with Vanguard here. So far in this thread, she just made a suggestion for PD, about an improvement. And we are simply expressing our comments, and reasons why we don't need coups here (We find it a little unnecessary).

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets