Author Topic: Interesting coincidences I've noticed in D1/D2 official missions  (Read 23113 times)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
Re: Interesting coincidences I've noticed in D1/D2 official missions
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 08:35:22 PM »
Super thief is the thiefbot's girlfriend when she wakes up on the wrong side of the bed.

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 02:56:37 AM »
And she cheats the Thief-bot with that muscular Tubbs... which must be every female bots dream, no? :P :D

Oh, I forgot. The Diamond Claw must be some granny that comes to you and says "HUG ME!!!"

:D :D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 02:58:21 AM by Shroudeye »

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 07:05:02 AM »
And she cheats the Thief-bot with that muscular Tubbs... which must be every female bots dream, no? :P :D

Oh, I forgot. The Diamond Claw must be some granny that comes to you and says "HUG ME!!!"

:D :D
Talk about killer cheek pinching.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 07:11:44 AM »
I would've thought that the Old Scratch would've been the elderly hugger.

But then again, I guess he doesn't look like he's trying to hug anything, does he? He actually fits the demented killer thing image that we are supposed to be placing on these robots. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 02:11:46 PM »
Also, the name "Old Scratch" was an old euphemism for the devil.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 02:46:37 PM »
And who would have guessed that?
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 02:47:55 PM »
Someone who had to read a lot of old fiction for a literature class ;).

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 12:54:59 PM »
Quote from: wazzazzle
And why is Europa portrayed as a smoky, fiery hell?  It's Europa!

Actually, now that I think about it (and I really just thought of this out of the blue) but while Europa is most definitely icy on the surface, scientists are fairly certain now that all that ice and stuff is very much liquid underneath that icy surface, suggesting some kind of sea under there that may or may not support life. Point is, however, is that in order for that ice to be molten like that, the planet would almost have to be volcanically active in some shape or form, thus where your "fiery hell" could come from.

Although I will admit that this would likely mean that said mines would probably have to be well underneath these supposed seas, and so, unless the exit tunnels open straight up to the surface, your Pyro-GX should be emerging in the middle of said seas after every mine blown on Europa.

And I also highly doubt this information was as well known at the time of Descent's original release.

More than likely, the programmers just didn't do their research. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
More than likely, the programmers just didn't do their research. :P

Yeah, like Venus is actually hotter than Mercury, due to its atmospheric conditions.

But hey, D1 Level 4 was "Venus ATMOSPHERIC Lab"... And Level 6 was "Mercury SOLAR Lab"...

By the way, remember our Crowd-Source Level, it IS on Europa, and has 2 spots with lava!

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 03:14:01 PM »
Oh yeah, but those are actually pretty little spots. When I replayed the level when we first started discussing using that level, I was surprised at how little lava there was in it. Could've sworn there was more somewhere.

But oh well. :P
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 08:56:08 AM »
...[Europa] would have to be volcanically active in some shape or form, thus where your "fiery hell" could come from.

No, they say it's actually tidal forces from Jupiter's gravity that keep it warm (relatively :P), basically as it's orbiting the planet, it gets "kneaded" like bread (very slightly) from the big planet's gravity.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2011, 06:17:48 AM »
Well, yes, that would explain it as well, but if there's rock down under all that ice somewhere (and in my mind, that seems likely), those tidal forces would generate volcanic activity. It's the same thing that makes IO so volcanic as well. Granted, Europa obviously isn't as volcanic as IO, but that's not my point. My point is that it's not at all beyond the possibility that if you dug deep enough, you would find molten rock, probably in large amounts, somewhere on that planet, thus explaining why there is lava to be found in the necessary Descent levels. And as I recall (so my memory may be bad) the Europa levels weren't that volcanic. It was just in patches.

But again, more than likely, the level builders probably just didn't do their research. :P
Check out my deviantART

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2011, 09:56:54 AM »
And as I recall (so my memory may be bad) the Europa levels weren't that volcanic. It was just in patches.

Level 13 (Europa Mining Colony) had 2 spots: The area just behind blue doors and the area containing the yellow key.

Level 14 (Europa CO2 Mine) also had 2 spots: The area containing blue key, and the red key.

Offline Sidhe Priest

• Gold
  • Blackstar jockey.
    • Pyromania
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 10:56:11 PM »
The D3 dragon bot looks more like an ant. Big fire-breathing ant.

Anyway, the D3 music is really D1 music remixed. It's not that noticeable if you listen to MIDI files only, but a quality mix of, say, D1 Game01.mid and D3 level 1 show off that the notes are really the same, it's the tempo that's been altered.

Also, D1 and D3 levels have similar gameflow/architecture. It's not that noticeable because D3 level 1 is larger than D1 level 1 and has outdoor areas, but technically it's very similar (start in an area 1, move by corridor to area 2 with a bonus and some light shooter bots, etc.). Same about level 2 - D3 level 2 has the music theme rehashed from D1 level 2, gameplay developed from D1 level 2, etc. D3 level 3 even has the same long horizontal/short vertical tunnel combinations as D1 level 3, and of course the soundtrack is derived from D1.

D3 level 4 score and D1 Game04.mid are the same theme too, remixed Game06.mid for D3 level 6, etc. etc.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 10:58:34 PM by Sidhe Priest »

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2011, 07:20:09 AM »
The D3 dragon bot looks more like an ant. Big fire-breathing ant.

Anyway, the D3 music is really D1 music remixed. It's not that noticeable if you listen to MIDI files only, but a quality mix of, say, D1 Game01.mid and D3 level 1 show off that the notes are really the same, it's the tempo that's been altered.

Also, D1 and D3 levels have similar gameflow/architecture. It's not that noticeable because D3 level 1 is larger than D1 level 1 and has outdoor areas, but technically it's very similar (start in an area 1, move by corridor to area 2 with a bonus and some light shooter bots, etc.). Same about level 2 - D3 level 2 has the music theme rehashed from D1 level 2, gameplay developed from D1 level 2, etc. D3 level 3 even has the same long horizontal/short vertical tunnel combinations as D1 level 3, and of course the soundtrack is derived from D1.

D3 level 4 score and D1 Game04.mid are the same theme too, remixed Game06.mid for D3 level 6, etc. etc.

Except for the Dragon, I seriously doubt all of the above.

I see that nobody has ever noticed that there is a trap door in D2 at the very beginning and the same thing in D3 at the very beginning.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets