Author Topic: Desktops 2011  (Read 75313 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Desktops 2011
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 03:04:12 AM »
1600x1200 crt monitor.  IIRC, from apod:
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 02:54:03 PM »
Okay, new laptop now has a desktop worth showing. :)

It's from Stargate Universe. Say what you will about the show, but there's no denying that it had a lot of beautiful special effect views like this one.  8)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 05:48:37 PM »
@ Scyphi: Cool background! Is there a way to prevent that dock from appearing on startup other than X-ing it out each time? I hate it... I'd rather use desktop icons and save memory.
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 06:06:09 PM »
If you're lucky and they use a simple approach for running it, you should just be able to clear it out of start -> programs -> startup, I've seen a few similar programs start up on boot using this method.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 07:35:16 PM »
@ Scyphi: Cool background! Is there a way to prevent that dock from appearing on startup other than X-ing it out each time? I hate it... I'd rather use desktop icons and save memory.
That "dock" (HP Advisor with a kind of quick launch) is easily removed from startup.   If Scyphi say's OK, I'll get the steps from his system and post it for you (or he can post it for you).  Either he likes having it there or hasn't worried about turning it off yet.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 07:41:56 PM »
@TechNor... oh you don't have to go through all that trouble for me... I'll just figure it out when I got the time. Thanks though. Besides, I'll try Insanity's method when I get a chance... I mean sure I'm at my computer and the start button is 3 inches away from where I'm typing, but like, I don't feel like clicking the start button right now! LOL

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 05:30:09 AM »
The dock was there when I first booted up the computer. I've never actually used it, so it can probably go, but it hasn't really been bugging me, actually. It's pretty easy to ignore. Furthermore, the desktop seems kind of empty without it...so I might just leave it there as filler until I've got something else to put in it's place.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 01:38:54 PM »
I've just changed my desktop... to Portal 2 theme...

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 10:10:54 PM »
@Shroudeye: What language are those system folders in?

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 11:26:55 PM »
They are Turkish... :D

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 02:16:57 PM »
JUST finished the April map! In April, which is World 4, "Dreamy Woods" (going to be opposite of October's "Dreary Woods") I introduce those P balloons that were used in Super Mario World to make Mario fat and fly for a short period of time. Since this is not an actual game but more like what I like to call a "daily graphic event calendar," the P balloons are used to fly one space over an unreachable area. I also added a sub-objective other than just getting coins to pay hammer bros. or plants for hammers to shatter corresponding shops. You have to collect 4 faeries and put them in the faerie box in the upper corner of the world. When that happens, it destroys the mines guarding Iggy Koopa's battleship surrounding Level 30 (April 30). Then, you continue into World 5, Crawdad Bayou, on a boat. That world will be a swamp wasteland with a bunch of boat usage and docks. That'll be fun to make!

Also, I changed it up in April. In January through March you collect coins as you go. In this month, you collect Yoshi eggs as you go on a month-long Easter egg hunt and trade them in for hammers, bombs, etc. Oh, and in March, I introduced bomb shops where you can purchase Bob-Ombs for $9 each. They destroy the harder rocks, which are really re-colored icebergs from SMB3 World 6. Also new in April, I cleaned up the way you collect keys and hammers and such. I added comic bubbles (which was made from the SMB3 comic bubble coming out of the castles that say "HELP!") Sundays are either fortresses, battleships or tanks, the last Sunday of the month is the palace, and the last day of the month is usually an airship, but it's a battleship this month leading into May...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:31:04 PM by Alieo »

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2011, 09:03:01 AM »
Quote from: me at DBB.net
the Stone freakin' Rhino (or Behemoth to the Inner Sphere)-

Wallpaper source:
http://azakachi-rd-17.deviantart.com/gallery/23451755#/d2bz54i
Please respect my social media privacy (facebook, steam, twitter)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2011, 08:02:55 AM »
Changed my work desktop again ...

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2011, 10:35:47 AM »
The dock was there when I first booted up the computer. I've never actually used it, so it can probably go, but it hasn't really been bugging me, actually. It's pretty easy to ignore. Furthermore, the desktop seems kind of empty without it...so I might just leave it there as filler until I've got something else to put in it's place.

With nice artwork, why have icons and added stuff on the desktop? Mine is clean except for the dock, or panel on the bottom. no other icons or anything exist on my desktop. Got that from my dad. he'd even have the panel disappear until he needed it.

Changed my work desktop again ...

very nice. I like nature ones like thunderstorms. Do you know where you got that? Can you send me a link or the wallpaper itself somehow?

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2011, 03:28:56 PM »
http://interfacelift.com  (like 'interface' and 'facelift' into one word)

Lots and lots of Free wallpapers/backgrounds in loads of sizes.  Constantly getting new ones all the times.

Here is a link to that specific wall paper:  
http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/details/2559/ground_strike.html
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 03:30:43 PM by TechNor »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets