Author Topic: Descent 3 Mercenary with Windows 7 64-bit  (Read 5071 times)

Offline rain6460

• Bronze
Descent 3 Mercenary with Windows 7 64-bit
« on: March 11, 2011, 01:41:02 PM »
Hi,
Have tried to install Descent 3 several times on my Windows seven 64-bit system, but each time it instructs me to put disc one back into the drive to launch game, I get an "invalid cd" message. Have tried with and without compatibility mode to no avail. Once I thought I succeeded, but instead of the invalid cd message, I got another saying, cannot locate file...I believe itwas referring to the .exe to start the game? Don't know if I need a patch possibly? Anyway, I'm stumped. Is this game supposed to work with Win 7?
Thanks. Jeff

PS. There is a third disc with my set which I never installed. After disc 2 it instucted me to put #1 back in and thats as far as I got. Do I need #3?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 01:47:20 PM by rain6460 »

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
Re: Descent 3 Mercenary with Windows 7 64-bit
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 01:47:12 PM »
Yes, it works with Win7 x86 and Win7 x64.  I've installed it on at least three different Win7 x64 machines without any problems.

Note that once the installer asks you to put CD#1 back in, you're done with the installation.  At that point, you should just exit, update/patch to v1.4, and then run the game by launching the Descent3.exe.

[I personally dragged a shortcut into the Win7 "Games" folder to create a startup link.]

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 06:14:33 PM »
3rd disc? Did you get Mercenary too?  If that is what it is, you do want to install that, it is a great add on mission, 7 huge levels with a new ship, many new bots, and some great music.

This is often referred to as 'Duel Jewel' as there were two jewel cases to hold all three discs.  The third disc is purple, and says Mercenary on it.  There is another patch for it called the duel jewel fix.  

Linky: Descent 3 Dual-Jewel Patch
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 06:18:37 PM by ...WillyP... »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 09:35:34 AM »
yeah, Merc is a nice add-on indeed

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 10:33:24 AM »
x7.
The only problem with it is -- no one has ever got the black pyro to work in custom singleplayer maps to my knowledge.  And I'm sure people have tried.
You can use it in any level if you play coop, but that changes the gameplay drastically.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets