Author Topic: I would like to go see...  (Read 13748 times)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: I would like to go see...
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 05:42:33 AM »
I can see most peoples' email addresses on their profiles, and there's also an 'email' button underneath the avatar on each post.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 06:26:01 AM »
I think it depends on user settings, actually.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 06:27:13 AM »
and I am a bot. I malfunction at the 500th post. almost there.

Self destruct sequence activated.

I really don't think Jeremy is a spam bot. His posts may seem spammish but look at the crap we post everyday. The only difference is we know each other well enough we accept off topic and inane dribble as just part of the lively banter we engage in. Give the guy a break. Also, it took him an hour to post 10 comments... would a bot do that?

I agree. I understand, some we came across were bots, or people who were just spamming the posts. We had dinocrisisfan, and that other that told us Descent tips.

I have written dumb pointless topics/posts; I may still for all I know.

I think it's partially this. We're a small group of people; friendly, yet small. We have taken it for granted perhaps, that we are all that is left of Descent fans (and those on dbb.com and .net)
To have new people come in here always raises a flag or two.

But who knows, we have people on here that posts every once in a great while. I'm thinking people like Hunter, and a few others. We trust them, right? just maybe, they told others about this site.
I told my girl friend about this site some, but she's not a Descent person. before you throw those stones, she is nice, don't take offense, but she hasn't played too many old games.  ;D

I almost brought someone over here from a Linux forum, but that's when I gave him the .com site, not knowing it went under.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 06:28:02 AM »
I think it depends on user settings, actually.

yeah, i think you can set it to private or public. mine should be under private.

mostly because of potential spammers.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 07:25:31 AM »
What raised a red flag for me was him replying to all the recent topics (and some others) as soon as he joined.
Until I saw the content of his posts I assumed a spambot (because spambots spam... :P).  Once I saw the posts it just made no sense.  I've already apologized to him if it's a person ;) :P.

Come to think of it I'll check my mails from Dateilliste (I'm nominally on the team that gives access to the Descent 3 download depending on whether we conclude that the person already owns D3 or not).  If I find something from his email I can be pretty sure he's legit.  (Lol, think of going through all this screening to get on some other board... now I feel bad).

I like to tease spambots because they never complain.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2011, 08:03:12 AM »
You have to be careful not to judge people too quickly, though.

For example, when IHateHackers first started posting on PD, I viewed him as a spammer, and didn't think he'd last that long (no offense). Obviously, he proved me wrong, so I don't think that anymore, and have since been more careful with my first impressions with people posting on the web, a good practice regardless of the circumstance, I think. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2011, 09:12:14 AM »
anyone remember me? I was (more) annoying, and changing usernames and/or avatars. and ended up with some "owned" on my avatar.

Look at me now. kept username, a little less annoying.

Crash

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2011, 01:57:55 PM »
Looking back the guy made a good post. I was kinda wondering how those pictures of volcanoes are taken seemingly up-close without the photographer turning into a well-done skeleton.
800mm is one hell of a telephoto. It definitely won't zoom, I can promise you that.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2011, 04:17:54 PM »
He kind of came off as calling me an idiot though... even if he was trying to be funny.

...now you know why I don't like...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 04:21:29 PM by wazzazzle »

Crash

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2011, 04:36:32 PM »
I have to confess, I hadn't picked up on that. I figure that wasn't the way it was intended.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2011, 07:44:51 PM »
You have to be careful not to judge people too quickly, though.

For example, when IHateHackers first started posting on PD, I viewed him as a spammer, and didn't think he'd last that long (no offense). Obviously, he proved me wrong, so I don't think that anymore, and have since been more careful with my first impressions with people posting on the web, a good practice regardless of the circumstance, I think. :)
o_0 really? What did I do? (I can't look back and see, darn you IGN!)

Who'd have guessed the spammer paranoia went back so far...

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2011, 06:00:30 AM »
I can't really remember per say, but I seem to recall that some of your first posts were kind of boneheaded posts, at least to me.

But to be fair, whose first posts on a forum aren't? Mine certainly were. :P

Again, just to ease my conscious, I mean no offense when I said what I said, IHateHackers, I was just using it as an example of the dangers of making presumptions about one's character. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 06:25:02 AM »
it just happens. It's someone new. new character, new personality. may easily talk/type differently.
For all I know, he's thinking, "this is a strange forum to be talking about me so much" and he left.

Keep this up and we might as well put a lock on the door to invite new people  ;D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 06:28:30 AM by Vanguard »

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2011, 09:38:52 AM »
I agree with Vanguard. :nod:
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2011, 11:50:09 AM »
may I make a suggestion? How about the next time, someone new comes in, welcome them and accept a different personality. if they are rude, abusive, posting links to all sorts of stuff, yeah, safe bet it's a spammer (bot).
but if not, just welcome them in. Anyone could be thinking, "There was a game I played 10+ years ago.....oh yeah! Descent! Let's see if there's a forum about it, or some website."

and if they seem legit but maybe they're doing something you think is suspicious, PM a moderator (I'm sure they won't want just any old PM's ;) )

that way, the moderator can see what they say, and decide from there, rather than us talking in the topic, "this person may be a spammer/bot"
Seriously, you're new in a forum and you're 100% legit, how would you feel if others just started talking about you and thinking you're a bot?

that's just my suggestion.

I know some may just say "dude, I'm real. okay?" and some are young that may be too afraid, or whatever.
some are just quick to say "not dealing with this b.s., I'm out."

sort of like a topic on a linux system. person was just to impatient or did something wrong, and just had enough.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 11:52:04 AM by Vanguard »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets