Author Topic: Descent 3..  (Read 12229 times)

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
Descent 3..
« on: February 05, 2011, 08:58:44 PM »
...Now showing in a Darcshadow7's house near you!

Submitted by Darcshadow7
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: Descent 3..
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 10:04:01 PM »
That's how Klixovann plays too ;).  He said when he got the TV hooked up to his computer the first thing he tried was D2X-XL.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 10:15:49 PM »
As awesome as that would be, my computer is kinda down in the basement while my TV is in the living room upstairs.

Then again, laptops do exist for a reason.

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 11:26:28 PM »
It's not a TV though, this is a projector, in full 1080p!   ;D

(1920 x 1080 Resolution)

I was watching a movie on my PC, so I thought why not take a picture of D3 and share it here.. Makes for a good PoTD.

And while I was at it, I played "Section 8" on it as well, which uses the Unreal Tournament 3 engine. I played it at full resolution, and boy, was I suprised. It looked really nice, and it didn't totally kill the FPS.
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 06:53:06 AM »
That's what I thought! The lighting seemed a little off for it to be a TV (I suspect the camera is at fault for that).

I remember Techpro tried this out once, on a whim, when fooling around with a projector he was borrowing (I forget why, exactly). It was pretty cool, AND it made it easier for us offspring to sit and watch him play. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 01:52:50 PM »
some odd years ago, I played Descent:Free Space I or II on a 26" tv monitor. looked pretty nice actually. We also played Midnight Club on the PS2 on a projection tv.

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 02:18:21 PM »
THAT looks cool, Darc...

Well, we (Me&parents&etc. in our house) have this 1080p TV here, coupled with a Logitech surround system... That gives me a kick, if I can get my parents off the TV...

:D

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 09:08:01 AM »
I've tried D3 and D2X-XL it on my big-screen (projection) TV.

It's fun! :D

However, it's really not a good solution for my usual playing time, for a couple of reasons:

- Controllers have to be wireless (ugh) or cables pulled way out due to viewing distance.
- Refresh rate on my big-screen is too long, makes for a lot of blur for fast movement.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 07:51:55 AM »
I had hooked a computer to our TV set once and played D2X-XL on it too. It was cool (and I had no problems with cable lengths), but the image quality is just better on computer monitors.

What really blew my mind though was connecting two 22" monitors to my Linux box and playing D2X-XL on these. It was the first time Descent made me feel dizzy, and it happened in less than 30 secs. I would love to see a triple monitor D2X-XL setup (D2X-XL would allow for the required screen resolution). Total vertigo!

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 11:58:46 AM »
A TV blurs the picture by design. the theory is that in a typical TV signal, the picture is almost always moving anyway, so the blur is not usually noticeable.  And that makes up for the low resolution.  1080 is only high resolution in relation to TV.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Terminal Error

• Silver
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 08:31:59 PM »
Wow, how big is that TV?  :o

I've played D3 on my 50-something inch TV before, but I seemed to do pretty badly in multiplayer, and the turning felt awkward.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 12:28:05 PM »
Wow haven't seen Terminal Error in ages! Welcome back
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 01:25:33 PM »
It's a projector, actually.

It's not a TV though, this is a projector, in full 1080p!   ;D

Anyways I'd be quicker to try this with DXX-Rebirth rather than D3 actually, considering that I don't really like D3's mouse controls (when compared to D1/D2), and I can't imagine it being any better when you're distanced from the screen, despite how large it is.

Offline Terminal Error

• Silver
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 04:26:59 PM »
Wow haven't seen Terminal Error in ages! Welcome back
Hiya Cypher!  Good to see you again.
It's a projector, actually.
Ooohh, okay.  That makes more sense as to why it's taking up more than half the wall.  Wish I had a projector :D

When I played D3 on my TV, I used a wireless two-handed joystick (very similar to the kind the PS3 has) which made it quite comfortable to play.

Offline Jeremy.west

• Silver
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 08:11:32 AM »
i also think that was TV ;D it really cool display. which projector? 
Muhaaahahaha

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets