Author Topic: Out of Mine Issue  (Read 4920 times)

Offline pipsqueak

• Bronze
Out of Mine Issue
« on: February 02, 2011, 05:57:04 PM »
I have a level that verify mine shows with no errors.  However, in Atan's level check, when cycling through the rooms, one rooms shows the player as being outside level.  In trying to figure it out, I decided to save the room and then import it as a level.  The player start shows as being outside the level.  So, to fix this I revised the room to have the player start in the level.  That seemed to work.

When optimizing the level I combined some rooms.  Again, no errors in verify mine but in level check another room shows as outside the level. It's not practical to re-do this room.  Any ideas to fix?

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Out of Mine Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 03:32:45 AM »
Can you show some screen-shots? Or attach the level?
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline (LL)Atan

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 08:16:07 AM »
@pipsqueak
Are you using the last version 1.3 beta?

It's not 100% secure that Level Check really works correct.
You may offer me your level so I can have a look and search for the problem if any.

Offline pipsqueak

• Bronze
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 06:47:30 PM »
Thanks for your assistance, Willy, I've emailed you the level.  Atan, I am using your level check 1.3 version and would like for you to have a look at the level if you don't mind.  Please let me know where to send it.

Offline (LL)Atan

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 07:34:45 AM »
Send you a mail.
Willy, if you'll find something in the meantime, please let us know where the problem is.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 08:04:10 AM »
I sent pip an e-mail. The issue is a 'Y' shaped room, with the room center in the crotch of the y.  So when he made a level to test just the room, the player start is at the room center, which is outside the level.

The error is that the room center is out side the room.  The room center is calculated from all the verts, and is used to calculate things for ai, sound, and maybe more.  So it might throw off the path of a homing weapon if the room center is not in the room.  I have enclosed a screen-shot to show the room center.  When you made the room a level, the player start is placed at room center by default, so in your one room test you have a player start outside the level.

If you cannot see the room center, open a room and right-click on either the top, side or front view and check 'Show room center'.

To fix this, I would recommend splitting the rooms up differently.  Another solution would be to reshape the room so the room center is inside.  This is not strictly necessary, even many of the original levels had this type of error, but for best game-play should be fixed.

Offline (LL)Atan

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 08:32:11 AM »
ok, keep in mind that this roomcenter point could force a sound problem too.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 08:42:47 AM »
Yes, well, there really is no excuse for leaving errors in a level.  Retribution has a lot of errors left in because they were under a lot of pressure to get to release.  And I suspect they did not have as good tools for finding those errors as we have now.

Offline pipsqueak

• Bronze
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 04:47:01 PM »
Yup Willy, you were right, center of room was out of mine.  It's been fixed. Sent you and Atan an e-mail with the fixed room.  Thank you both for your help.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets