D1/2
1 (7.1%)
D2X-XL
3 (21.4%)
D3
10 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: February 12, 2011, 01:17:50 PM

Author Topic: Crowd-source level building  (Read 88172 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Crowd-source level building
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2011, 07:49:15 AM »
New poll up for gametype.  I just went down the list of D3M file in my D3 installation, since D3 seems well ahead in the first poll.  There are some I've listed that I have never even played, they are included because I installed D3 via Thomas' D3 installer package.  Some I have played but never quite got a handle on what I was supposed to do during the game.  I left off OG3, as IIRC it was very buggy.  And a couple I never heard of, but if there ar any you'd like to vote for feel free to speak up.  I left the option to change your vote, in case I add more options.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2011, 08:27:28 AM »
Lets see. There's already a billion Anarchy levels. Lots SP levels. Co-op is fun, but Geordon trolls around in those. CTF is a no go since Venis takes that over, but VEX sometimes hosts CTF games. Entropy is FUN, but nobody knows how to play (shame), but VEX hosts those sometimes.

Can't decide. I'll get back to this.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2011, 09:05:47 AM »
I'd love to see a robo-anarchy compatible level for D3, but I also desperately want more singleplayer.

Offline (LL)Atan

• Gold
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2011, 10:23:43 AM »
I'm not the one who is playing online such much, so my vote is clear.
Since I try to come back playing a little D3 online again I can't see much other than boz playing.
If I would have to wait until randomly 2-3 players could find together to start a coop or similar D3gametype, I would never have a chance to play.
But with a SP mission I'm the one who starts a game whenever I want it.
If a mission would not be too complicated, it would not too big and would beatable, then I would look if I could get more of that.
If there would be a little surprise inside, things to make me laughing, to let me say ooohhh, yes I think I would love to wait for the next 3 Level mission then.
F.E: please have a look at LOTR mission set which we made for online gaming only. What a nice and good work, but I can't say that it was/is played much later.
If that mission-set would have designed for SP then it would have been unforgotten.

Ok, I'm not the one to decide what should be done, I would only like to tell you my ideas about and why I'm thinking this way.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2011, 12:20:53 PM »
I voted for SP because (like Atan) I'm the one who starts a game when I want it.

However... it's too bad I couldn't vote for more than one because I'd love to see more Frag-Tag and Break-out levels for MP play.

Offline Babylon

• Silver
  • Hyperactive Comma User
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2011, 12:32:42 PM »
Ok, I'm not the one to decide what should be done, I would only like to tell you my ideas about and why I'm thinking this way.

That's as much as anyone can do; any input is welcomed. :)

I vote for single-player as well; it will be enjoyed much more than another anarchy (which is all anyone ever plays anyway) would be.  With a large enough number of contributors, it also divides the tremendous workload that a single-player would usually entail, making it much more feasible.

While I say singleplayer, the gameplay should entail more than a single-player level usually does; there should be some sort of fun gameplay gimmick that takes it above and beyond what's been done in other SP's so far.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2011, 12:34:06 PM »
Robo-Anarchy for WillyP's idea.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2011, 01:43:39 PM »
Co-op is fun, but Geordon trolls around in those...

I don't find him so bad in Co-op as he is in Anarchy... easier to ignore.
Of course it may also be that he's scared of me (as Otterhawk).

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2011, 02:53:43 PM »
He's more scared of me, and he immediately leaves when I show up with my alt.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2011, 05:00:33 PM »
I voted for SP because (like Atan) I'm the one who starts a game when I want it.

However... it's too bad I couldn't vote for more than one because I'd love to see more Frag-Tag and Break-out levels for MP play.

Well, no reason we can't do this again after this one is done, or even concurrently with this one.  Though, I would like to see us all focused on one at a time.

Atan, you are right, it is not for you to decide. Or me, or any one individual, nor is it even a team descision.  That is what makes crowd-sourcing different.  Anyone can pop in, voice an opinion, and cast a vote in any poll that is still open.  And if anyone thinks a poll should be reopened, feel free to bring that up, too.  I guess I have kinda made some assumptions about the amount of discussion we are having before a poll, and how long a poll should be open, etc, but don't take it as law.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2011, 05:57:09 PM »
He's more scared of me, and he immediately leaves when I show up with my alt.

Well then what are you worried about? :P

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2011, 11:22:03 PM »
He's still annoying as heck.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2011, 07:25:07 AM »
Like I said, I'd be all for another single-player level myself, and concur with all the reasons why it'd be the better choice...

...but like I already said, I feel like applying that to WillyP's idea would actually lessen it. Better to apply it to multiplayer, to exploit what I think is it's full potential.

Of course, we could always do other levels in these gaming types, but at the moment, WillyP's idea is the only idea we've got to work with at the moment.

I suppose we could compromise and built it (or multiple versions thereof) for more than one gametype. Like maybe an SP version AND an MP version, supporting multiply MP game-types.

In the case of WillyP's idea, however, if it does become a MP, the only game types I see at the moment that'd it work the best for is Robo-anarchy and Assault. That, and Co-Op. Anything else would mean WillyP's idea would have to go without a few things, or have to be modified in such a way that it wouldn't work as it has been proposed.

I haven't voted yet, and probably will still hold off for a little while longer still, but I say in the case of WillyP's idea, MP is the way to go. So either we not do that level this time and come up with a different idea, or we hold off on doing something like SP for another time.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2011, 08:11:03 AM »
I strongly oppose the single player game because we already have a billion SP levels and this one is going to get worn out like the rest and then we'll all be demanding for a new one.

Also, it is going to get veeeeeery repetitive. You are going to learn the positions of the bots, their paths, their tricks, their exploits, etc. And that's what dries out many SP levels.

If we went with WillyP's idea, you not only have the bots to worry about, but the ever unpredictable player. You will never know if he is hiding around the corner. You could hold a truce for a while. You don't know if those blue lasers that he was shooting a second ago was a trap for his real weapons of a smart and a Barney Blaster. You do not know which bots he has already smoked out. That prox mine was a spy. GEORDON!

So many more elements.

Plus, launch it in single player to play single player. Don't have to go to multiplayer every time.

And please use the original siren for the escape. It IS in D3. You hear it when you are discovered by the cameras in Lv 11. The file name is simply called "siren."

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2011, 12:09:26 AM »
I agree, that would be a cool idea to go.

So when do we start? :D

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets