D1/2
1 (7.1%)
D2X-XL
3 (21.4%)
D3
10 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: February 12, 2011, 01:17:50 PM

Author Topic: Crowd-source level building  (Read 89879 times)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: Crowd-source level building
« Reply #210 on: April 18, 2011, 06:15:33 AM »
No, it still seems overly complicated to me. Wazzazzle's idea I like better because it's simple and straightforward. You shoot at the blue door, find it's locked, and GB just tells you what's going down and what you need to do from there. That just seems so much easier, and achieves the same purpose.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #211 on: April 18, 2011, 12:31:10 PM »
Pff. Okay, just was an idea. As said, final decision is yours.

Anyways, I'll be able to start construction of the lounge at this weekend... Got a presentation to prepare... and without any sleep!

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #212 on: December 06, 2011, 03:53:12 PM »
Thread revival, I know, but I was rereading through all of this, and wondered if anybody actually got around to doing anything for this beyond what was already posted. I know I haven't. I don't really expect anyone else to, either, I'm just curious.

Not really a good reason to revive so old a thread, I know, but...  :-\
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #213 on: December 06, 2011, 05:33:41 PM »
Good a reason as any to bump a thread!
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #214 on: December 08, 2011, 02:32:22 PM »
Well, honestly I haven't did anything either...  :-[

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #215 on: June 06, 2014, 09:21:53 AM »
Uber thread bump here, but...been rereading this monster of a thread, and...whatever happened to this idea? ;)
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #216 on: June 07, 2014, 05:31:41 AM »
We weren't actually doing anything with all the ideas we came up with so we all just kind of gradually lost interest.
As far as crowd-sourcing goes I think mission building makes more sense than level building.  I mean, look at The Enemy Within :D.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 05:33:24 AM by Kaiaatzel »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #217 on: June 07, 2014, 07:19:47 AM »
I dunno, I think we were getting onto something here, it's just nobody really took the first steps to commit to it. Not that I can blame them, we all have lives beyond Descent, myself included, and sometimes the time and energy to do it just isn't there.

Still...we were bouncing around some neat ideas in this thread. Pity nothing became of them.
Check out my deviantART

Offline Thomas

• Gold
    • Dateiliste
« Reply #218 on: July 28, 2014, 08:53:31 AM »
Maybe this thread really needs a serious bump.  :)

I would like to point out that there's an SP/co-op mission for D3 that hasn't been completed yet.

As far as I remember, only a five level set has been released so far.

The full mission has (or was supposed to have) 11 more levels. 10 (!) of them are entirely ready, only the last one is missing quite some scripting. All of the levels are missing their briefings, which should actually fit with the already existing level set. I believe to remember that even the music is pretty much complete. Most of the levels would probably need some new light re-calculations.

Would that make it a good start (or continuation)?

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #219 on: July 28, 2014, 11:21:36 AM »
Well, it could be something to work with if the necessary people will rally behind it, and we have the original developer's permission to proceed.

What is this level set you speak of?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 11:23:34 AM by Scyphi »
Check out my deviantART

Offline Thomas

• Gold
    • Dateiliste
« Reply #220 on: August 20, 2014, 03:25:27 PM »
I think it doesn't really matter. ;)

It took several thousend hours to create the mission set as it's been released, and up to 15 000 hours more for the parts that haven't been released yet. ;)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #221 on: August 21, 2014, 05:51:55 AM »
I think it does. Nobody's going to want to pitch in to work on a level-anything that they know basically nothing about.  ;)
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #222 on: August 21, 2014, 06:14:25 AM »
He's waiting for you to remember, and figure out what he's talking about.

Offline Thomas

• Gold
    • Dateiliste
« Reply #223 on: August 21, 2014, 06:19:57 AM »
Well, there is only one single-player and co-op mission set that's been released with 5 levels.  ;)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #224 on: August 22, 2014, 05:42:27 AM »
I must not have played it then, because I'm really drawing a blank here. Or I've forgotten.

It'd probably be easier just to tell me what it is (and then watch me kick myself for it proved for not remembering it, because odds are I probably HAVE played it, just forgotten).
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets