Author Topic: Trouble playing Descent 3  (Read 5590 times)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Trouble playing Descent 3
« on: August 11, 2011, 07:32:04 AM »
I can't join at all, or play Descent 3. problems with all three. the first two will run, but may cut out. The third, can't even start playing. My phoenix is so full of dust.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 08:52:04 PM »
some have tried to help me get on, but it's either not working well on the iMac or something else.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 08:26:07 AM »
<-----  Wishing he had more opportunity to play D3.  Haven't been in much lately.

@Vanguard... Surely someone here can help you. Foil usually checks in and will be more than willing to get you going.

Absolutely.

I think Van is running D3 on a Linux distribution, though; I'm not familiar with that setup, so my ability to help may be limited.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 09:56:23 AM »
I gave my laptop (with Linux on it) to my girl friend. I now have an iMac. The game will install, and will play the intro video, but crashes when you see the loading screen and the menu.

Descent I & II (using the Descent rebirth), will crash on occasion when accessing the menu.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 10:01:58 AM by Vanguard »

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 11:05:11 AM »
I now have an iMac. [Descent 3] will install, and will play the intro video, but crashes when you see the loading screen and the menu.

Are you running the Mac version of D3, or the Windows version through some other software?

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 01:29:14 PM »
Windows version on Descent 3; Playonmac is the software.

The other thing that is confusing me is patching the game. Linux was easy, once I knew what to do, and where the game is stored on the harddrive.
Well, Windows was even easier I know.

I was thinking of getting the game on the iMac, but wasn't sure if it'd work. The d3 iMac demo doesn't work on my iMac

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 02:24:08 PM »
I'm not familiar with Playonmac.  When you start the game, are you getting the launcher?  If so, how is everything (video, audio) set up?

Note: If a mod could split this part of the discussion to a different thread, that would be great.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Re: Trouble playing Descent 3
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 04:44:06 PM »
Note: If a mod could split this part of the discussion to a different thread, that would be great.
As you wish. ;-)  Also moved to Descent Gameplay.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 06:38:08 AM »
I knew this got split. Which is 100% fine by the way; and best.

Playonmac fails. Once I get the launcher, it wants me to select a video, but it freezes when I try to.
Crossover worked until the actual game menu. It will play the intro video; but not load the menu.

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 08:21:15 AM »
[Thanks for the thread-split, TP.]

Van, for the Windows version of D3 to run, you have to be able to select the video-rendering and audio devices in the launcher. 

If you aren't able to do that with PlayonMac or Crossover, the only thing I can think to suggest is to find the Mac version of D3 (not an easy task, from what I understand).

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 07:51:19 PM »
I can select the video using crossover, but it's some money.

I think there are some at amazon. may get that some day.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets