Author Topic: D2X-XL news  (Read 7810 times)

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
D2X-XL news
« on: January 20, 2011, 01:39:32 AM »
Since Tech Pro has been complaining about the lack of posts here, I thought I'd write a bit Descent related stuff - from the D2X-XL project, naturally.

DLE-XP which had a big code overhaul a couple of weeks (or is it months already?) is steadily maturing into a really stable program. A few smaller bugs have been fixed there in the process recently, so if you are a level author, go grab the new version. As I am on it: There have been rumors that DLE-XP built D1/D2 levels wouldn't work with D1X-Rebirth. I doubt this is true since Wolfie's Descent Vignettes mission, as well as "The Enemy Within", which afaik were built with DLE-XP, work fine there.

Joffa is showing off his "beastular pyro" over in the D2X-XL forum like now. The design is great ... the ship is so detailled (though a bit too colorful for my taste yet) that it would fit well into an Unreal 3 environment. Definitely worth a look or three.

Frustikus is also slowly progressing with his new player ship design "Hammerhead". Definitely worth a look, too.

Sirius is apparently doing secret new things while building a D2X-XL level, and promptly seems to have found a bug in D2X-XL's collision detection. Investigation will start soon (sigh ...)

A friendly D2X-XL user has provided an OS X version of D2X-XL 1.15.124. It is half the size of the previous OS X dmg, so I am wondering what he omitted ... can't tell though, since I don't have a Mac (and probably never will).

So much for that. :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:48:04 AM by Diedel »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: D2X-XL news
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 03:34:03 AM »
Thanks for keeping us informed...  Moved to the front page News section.

Would love to see some screen shots of the new ships you mention!
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 05:30:30 AM »
Joffa's ship:

Frusti's Hammerhead:

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 07:25:15 AM »
I like that hammerhead ship. :D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 07:56:42 AM »
The first ship honestly does look pretty cool, but it could use a little more detail on the textures.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 08:06:59 AM »
Thanks for the update, Diedel!

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 05:32:08 PM »
The first ship looks almost like it was salvaged from scrap metal.  I like that, the backstory potential is enourmous.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 02:24:10 PM »
it almost looks like two different ships. Personally, I think there's too much yellow. but, I think the front part looks awfully nice though.

Offline Frustikus

• Bronze
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 03:48:54 PM »
Hi,

I am new to this community, but I saw that my concept "Hammerhead" was mentioned here.
I think, the picture above isn´t the best one, so I want to show you this:

I am a beginner in modelling ships and yes, Hammerhead hasn´t the quality like JoFFas Avenger. But hey, I like it ;-).
I am working on the textures at the moment. But this will need a lot of time, because I never did something like that before. For the impatient fans of this ship: JoFFa is working on textures for HH too and I am sure, he will show results much faster than me ;-).
Thanks for reading !

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 05:37:27 PM »
I like it!  And, a lot of us play with older machines and high poly ships are not so good for us.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 08:14:29 PM »
Hey, welcome to PD, Frustikus.

Personally I think the Hammerhead looks very good and I'm eagerly awaiting it's finish.

Crash

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 04:58:25 AM »
It clearly has no resemblence to the SA43 Hammerhead... as in... Space Above and Beyond.  ;D

I think these improve on a strong original.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets