Author Topic: Where have all the good posters gone?  (Read 16361 times)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: Where have all the good posters gone?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 09:24:11 AM »
This morning was about -30 (-22 if you're American :P), come February it's usually -40 to -50 celsius (-40 to -58 Farenheit) with windchill.  This is the time of year when the radio starts to broadcast warnings about exposed skin freezing in minutes.
The cold here could probably kill someone... but no-one is idiotic enough to let it.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 09:29:59 AM »
where approx are you from? I would hope no one is dumb enough to expose themselves and freeze to death. There are days I can't believe how cold it is, 10 or 15, maybe colder, and some don't wear hats, some don't wear jackets, some with skirts or a dress on. shorts.

I don't get people. I prefer bundling up than to just wear shorts. That's what I don't like about winter is the cold. I prefer the warmth over the  "I have to put this on. dang it."

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 09:40:57 AM »
I'm in Winnipeg.  One of the coldest cities on the prairie (though I would imagine pretty much anywhere in Saskatchewan would be colder... not many cities there though :P).
Once you get up to this latitude temperatures don't change too much the farther north you go until you get to the high arctic, the main difference will be the length of the seasons. I think Churchill is basically the same but has shorter summers.  It might get a little colder (maybe -40 without windchill).
That said, winter here starts in late October/early November and lasts until late April.  Often we'll still have snow melting in May.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 07:34:46 PM »
I don't know, I think it's been pretty busy... 17 replies before I even notice the thread!  Well, usually I check PD first thing after checking e-mail in the morning, but for some reason not today.  I don't know why.

And yeah we are sure getting some more snow!
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 05:30:11 AM »
I'm not going to have more snow. I canceled my subscription. Snow banks are taller than the cars itself. So, no more snow here  ;D

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 08:27:48 AM »
!!!MINUS 40!!!

!!!DOUBLE-YOU---TEE---EFF!!!

HOW CAN YOU EVEN:
- start a car?
- go to the store?
- smoke a cigarette?
- LIVE??

I came to the conclusion about a couple of years ago that HELL is truly a FREEZING environment. With those temperatures, there isn't the warmth of love... only... cold... hell... despair... hate... abandonment... D2 Level 16... ahhhh...
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 09:08:46 AM »
at -40, I doubt anything is going on.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 09:13:47 AM »
eh... You get used to it, you adapt, and life goes on.  Cautiously, it's dangerous stuff.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 10:57:20 AM »
Stay home, don't drive, don't leave the house. hmm... I can get use to that  ;D

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 01:07:03 PM »
Here in stupid Florida at 60 degrees above zero...
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 01:14:38 PM »
Stay home, don't drive, don't leave the house. hmm... I can get use to that  ;D

Lol, well I don't have that option (I work outside once or twice a week).  But taking the bus removes the problem of car-starting (I take transit everywhere, I have most of the city bus routes memorized -- bus passes are cheaper too) :P.

Seriously though, it's not that bad... as long as you're used to it.
Temperature is a form of perception (no different from any other sense).  What I can't stand is 15 - 30 degree (celsius) temperatures.  Way too hot for me.  (Writing temperatures on a mostly American forum can be confusing).

@Omega I'm curious why you don't like Florida.  Your winter is like my summer.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 01:29:02 PM »
Yeah, it is a tad confusing. I only know 0 C is 32 F. that's about the only conversion I know.

Coldest I was in, -10 I think, maybe colder. It's not fun.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 01:57:31 PM »
Our summer, fall, and spring is like everyone's humid hell.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 11:18:13 PM »
Seriously though, it's not that bad... as long as you're used to it.
Temperature is a form of perception (no different from any other sense).  What I can't stand is 15 - 30 degree (celsius) temperatures.  Way too hot for me. 

Celsius is so simple; 0 is freezing and 100 is boiling. In Fahrenheit, it's 32 is freezing and 212 is boiling... Not logical!

I understand what you mean. I'm used to it on the other extreme end. I work at a grocery store as a supervisor, and everyday when I'm on my thirty minute break, I sit in my car, smoke and listen to music. I have an interior thermometer just for curiosity's sake in my car because my A/C is broken and I'd like to know how hot it is. (No, I'm not ever going to get the A/C fixed.)

Anyways, it can be in the middle of summer and I'll still go sit in my car while it's, say, 102 outside (38 Celsius). But when I get in my car to sit inside and "chill" for 30 minutes, my thermometer reads 162 degrees (72 Celsius). Now, of course I roll down a window so I don't smoke up the car. It probably cools off to about 135 degrees (57 Celsius) by the time I'm done with my break. But, I could sit there the whole 30 minutes and not crack one bead of sweat... and this is Houston, TX... 90%+ humidity. I love the warmth of 135-140 degrees and find it extremely relaxing with a nice smoke and a chill audio track to go with it. Paradise!

It's all in the mind... I just wish I knew how to make it all in the mind in the winter! lol
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2011, 01:32:50 AM »
There's not much Descent related to say these days, I suppose. :-\

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets