Author Topic: Where have all the good posters gone?  (Read 16360 times)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Where have all the good posters gone?
« on: January 17, 2011, 09:51:19 AM »
Today, when I flipped on my computer before I rolled out of bed or had opened my eyes ... I was expecting to see the wonderful plethora of new postings that had become common place on PD.net just after everyone was asked to change their display names... only to find there hadn't been a single post for (dare I imagine it) two whole days!  :o

Had something gone wrong?  Had PD.net suffered some sort of error like what DescentBB.net had recently seen?  Was there something (heaven forbid) wrong with 'my precious' (my computer)? What had happened?

Puzzled (and a bit concerned), I decided it was best to wake up my brain before proceeding (it was, after all, morning now).  Three hours later, I sat down to investigate and found WillyP had been on and had posted.  Whew!  What a relief, PD.net was a-OK and life is good.

So I'm wondering.  What have all of you been doing this weekend?  

Here in the States, to (Jan. 17, 2011) is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day which is also called Civil Rights Day.  Observed on the Monday nearest Jan. 15 (b-day for Martin Luther King, Jr.), this particular Monday is a national holiday for us which means government offices are closed, no postal mail delivery, many city services are closed, schools are closed (including the school where I work), and a number of businesses are closed. Meanwhile there are sales, activities, travel, visits, etc that people participate in over this extra long weekend.

We had a bunch of snow arrive on Thursday and Friday which made for a lot of shoveling, but was well enjoyed by my daughter and one of her friends on Saturday, while one of her brothers was on a campout at a cabin where they enjoyed a bunch of cross-country skiing.  I enjoyed my 4x4 truck Thursday and Friday because I could go anywhere while everyone else was getting stuck.  I even had to pull my Wife's van out of a snow bank.  So naturally, I was all about staying inside on Saturday where I spent most of my time working on a friend's ailing computer, then spent some time upgrading the video in one of our computers (which, of course, required a couple hours 'testing' afterward).

Our Sunday was constant haze and drizzle trying (vainly) to melt the snow which only succeeded in making the roads 'soupy' and aided in melting the small amount of snow not already cleared off the walks ... which was actually kind of nice because the sky has cleared this morning, and despite a bit of winter breeze, is actually quite nice ... and the walks don't need clearing.  With a few feet of snow everywhere ... there may be some fun to have.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 09:54:48 AM by Dun-da-Da! TechPro! »

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Re: Where have all the good posters gone?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 10:27:18 AM »
I have this sad sinking feeling it's a personal thing with me. I posted in some places with no replies  :'(

Okay, I'm sort of being sarcastic, but in all honesty, I was thinking about the same, no one posting or replying to anything for a good day or two.

well, since "no one" was replying to my posts  ;D, I thought I'd just keep busy over the weekend and get some music on my cell phone, and burn some songs on a CD, get more paper, etc..

I don't know where you reside, but I imagine almost every state got some snow. I love 4x4 trucks. I have a F250 Ford myself. It was my fathers, but as you know, he passed away. He wanted me to have it while he was in the hospital.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 10:29:00 AM by Vanguard/V2 »

Offline Kaizerwolf

• Gold
    • Youtube
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »
Eh, sorry. I've been fairly busy myself, even on this long weekend; Saturday was a long work day for me, 8AM to 4PM, so you can imagine that after an 8 hour day on a busy Saturday, i was pretty tired. Yesterday was spent with my girlfriend, and it was a lovely day. Today though, I've got a chance to post, so here it is!

I can bet you guys know that I don't really post that often as it is, so I'm sorry about that. I'm content with reading, and I don't always have an opinion to voice over some subjects. :P

Offline DarkWing

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 10:58:29 AM »
* DarkenedFlapper flies in for a fly-by posting ...

I've actually been out of contact for a while.  Just back to the sites.

I heard that every state (including Hawaii) had snow ... except Florida.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 10:59:47 AM »
about not posting much, either your avatar means something different than what I think it is, or you're being sarcastic somewhere :)

I didn't post much of anything on here for a little while. months have gone by, but now work is slow, and i tend to check here and other sites from time to time.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 11:00:40 AM »
* DarkenedFlapper flies in for a fly-by posting ...

I've actually been out of contact for a while.  Just back to the sites.

I heard that every state (including Hawaii) had snow ... except Florida.

heard that too. I wish to send some of our snow over there. I hate to be all greedy :)
We have plenty!

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 12:32:21 PM »
Y'all can keep your snow. I'm juuust fine! I live in Houston and it's a FRIDGID 53 degrees. It needs to hurry up and be 105 already. This is ridiculous!  :P

No... seriously.
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 01:02:07 PM »
ROFL. I love hearing others, like down south complain about the cold. 53? wow. I wish it was that warm.
This past week, in the morning, it's been around 15 or so degrees. I'm waiting for the following week or so. They say it will be around 25 more often, which is that temperature now, but I hear it will drop soon again before it goes up.
a week or two ago, it was -3 degrees at 7:00 am.

I'm just having fun with you. I hear this on the weather channel as well.

"And down in Florida, oh my, is it cold, roughly 50 degrees. and up here in Minnesota (reason I say Minnesota is because I am in Minnesota), it's around 20 degrees, may get a little closer tomorrow, 15 possibly."

I understand why they say it. Cold to them is not cold to us. But still, it's funny to hear.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 05:09:57 PM »
LOL! It's all good man. But hey when summer comes, and it hits the upper 90s, y'all are probably the ones complaining then huh? hehehe
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 05:34:46 PM »
I'm just not much of a forum person.
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 05:41:53 PM »
I'm around sometimes. Usually only when I really actually have something to post though.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 08:18:07 PM »
 ::) 20 degrees? Try 10.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 08:52:17 PM »
For me, school has been THE MOST STUCK UP THING EVER THIS WEEKEND and today, Hazeron got screwed up for the PTMC.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 07:03:12 AM »
Quote from: Matthew
20 degrees? Try 10.

Try ten below. I think we hit that here a few days back, if not colder. I'm not one hundred percent sure on that, but it was pretty dang cold, so it was definitely way below zero.

To me, though, it's all just cold, so I dress warmly and that solves the issue. :P

I love it when people from down in the warmer south find their way up here in time for the winter (which, with a college nearby, happens fairly frequently) and listening to them gripe about the cold while the rest of us natives are just "eh, another cold day, live with it." What's even more entertaining is the reactions some of these people give me when they find out that I like to walk everywhere, regardless of the weather. Not even some of the other locals can quite fathom that. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 07:42:29 AM »
yeah, and I'm sure moving south, we'd complain about hot summers.

I think the coldest I saw anyway, was -3 at around 7 am

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets