Author Topic: Cold start on Vertigo?  (Read 15565 times)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
Re: Cold start on Vertigo?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 10:46:14 AM »
Yeah it's pretty cool. I'll post more within time. I'm back in class now and I gotta focus on that.
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 02:44:53 PM »
Somebody needs to make the computer-voice briefings possible for D2X-XL or something, like, stat. :P

On another note, I cold-started D1 level 11 just to prove that I could. Considering that I'm not usually one to cold start a level, I think I did pretty good. Only problems I really ran into was that my energy ran dangerously low at one point (but I never did run out) and stayed below a 100 for the rest of the level afterwards, and some of those homers in the catacombs of lower tunnels caught me by surprise a time or two, but they always do. Didn't die once, and while my shields, like my energy, consistently stayed below 100, they came no where close to running out the whole level.

Of course, I also play at a lower difficulty level than some, so that might have something to do with it.

But it's still not that hard. You don't really go far before you come across a laser upgrade, and that combined with your concussions seemed to do well enough. Pretty well armed by the time I got to the red room. Had both a fusion and a plasma cannon (but I just picked up the fusion and I had honestly forgotten I had the plasma), but one you're in the red room, it's not really needed, 'cuz all that's in there is those bomber bots and the reactor. :P

This was fun. I might have to try this again with a few other favorite levels. Like level 8, not because it'd be hard, I've just been real partial to that level. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 04:51:06 PM »
What difficulty?

Also you should try D2 Level 18... I did that one on hotshot after a lot of missed tries.  In order to keep any lives you need to find a shortcut to a superlaser and the energy center.
I tried it on Ace as well and I pulled off the first trick okay, but then the thief stole my cloak while I was in front of a Red Fatty Jr... and the rest of the story tells itself really.  There was no way to get back there without him killing me again.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 07:53:57 PM »
D2 Level 18 ... That's the Ice Boss.  The Descent community mostly agree the D2 Level 18 Boss may be the toughest Boss in the Descent 2 level set.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 08:35:20 PM »
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 08:52:02 PM »
Ah, right you are.  Level 16 is the Ice Boss.

Pulling it up, I see what Level 18 is.  Actually one of my favorites.  I love all the hidden and inter-twined passages in that one.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 09:51:54 PM »
Really creepy, it feels almost haunted.
Also one of my favourites (second favourite, after level 15).

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 10:50:08 PM »
Going back to Io in D1 Level 11... You know you don't need to get the yellow key in that one right?  You can go straight from blue to red.
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 08:07:52 AM »
I always end up picking them all up anyway. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 09:46:26 AM »
Actually you do need the yellow key, both the red door and the exit are inside the yellow door.

Offline mystery2018

• Bronze
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2022, 07:34:54 PM »

I could see a good player doing level 22 no problem, my idea to deal with the huge driller room would be, when you go into the room with the invulnerability and the 3 red hulks, take out the hulks quickly and then use your invulnerability to go down and take out all the drillers.  The spiral shaft is really easy if you do it right -- my suggestion: take out all the mine-laying drones first from the bottom, go grab the cloak in the blue area for the way up, then on the way down put a smart missile on each ledge to take out the drillers... there are a couple of secret doors part of the way down with more smarts to refill, so you should have enough.
That said, if you don't have a plan it would be hard.  You need a plan for that level on any difficulty.

Nah you don't need all those smarts do it with homers.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets