Author Topic: I'm back  (Read 4038 times)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
I'm back
« on: January 09, 2011, 04:32:03 AM »
I'm a looong time descent fan/gamer/music enthusiast. It's good to see there are still some die hards out there. I started playing Descent with the demo in 1996 and the rest is history. Love the gameplay, the music, and later on in 2000 when we got internet... PXO!! HEAT.NET!! haha... those were the days. I don't know if anyone on here remembers me, but I for the most part flew solo under this name, and then I flew with the Von Clan for awhile. I always played the game with a keyboard and kicked some pretty good @$$ with it.

So... I haven't played online since probably '02 or '03. Where do people play online with these fine developments in the D2X project? And, does anyone still play D3 online? My fondest memories were in that stadium level. That place was GREAT for duking it out, capture the flag, or a good ol' game of Monsterball. OOH! and who can forget... Minerva 3 was it? Or was it Minerva 7? I forgot lol!

EDIT: OOH! It seems that I am the 100th member of the forum! Too cool...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 05:29:41 AM by Alieo »
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: I'm back
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 06:15:39 AM »
Well, welcome back, good to see you here.  To play D3, most use Vortex to find a server.  There are usually a lot of servers up but not many players.  If you see some [BOZ] players, they will be bots, and they drop out as players join so there is always room in the game for a real player.

Vortex: www.slyclan.de

Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 04:06:07 PM »
Cool. Thanks for the info. Now, I just have to locate my old D3 CD-ROM. I know it's around here somewhere. Same story with D1-2. I have the definitive collection--somewhere, but it DO have it installed on my 5 year old XP computer (can't let that thing go!) with the D2X-XL patch of course. Couldn't tell ya the version number. I upgraded about a month or so ago.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 05:34:15 PM »
You should update D2X-XL, there's a whole lot of new stuff (3 ships like D3, glow fx, etc etc etc etc).

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 07:12:33 PM »
I'll do that... but I need to transfer everything to my windows 7. The last time I updated D2X-XL, it was too much for my XP to handle and crashed it!

By the way, I've been away from the descent community for about 8 years or so. Is everyone doing well? What I'm getting at is, has anyone died? Just curious. Also, what names did you guys fly under 10 years ago? Alieo was mine.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 08:17:55 PM »
I only started online (D3) in about 2006 (or it may have been 07) so you don't know me.  I had only played the singleplayer missions and a few custom campaigns until then (I played singleplayer since 1995, with a break from 2000 to about 04 or 05).  Then I tried a LAN with my brother and a friend and all three of us were immediately and completely hooked :P.  Then we discovered Vortex.  Most sites I go under the name Alterfox, but I'm having to change it (along with my regular avatar) because of possible spammer issues (the avatar change was purely for fun though -- total undercover disguise mode).
The only other websites where I go by wazzazzle are TrackMania Exchange, hotmail, and facebook :P.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 08:55:14 PM by wazzazzle »

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 08:29:47 PM »
Ten years ago... I guess I was about one year before I registered at the original PD.com. ;D

I did play a lot of Descent before that time, but I never had much of an online presence. Last I played online was for the Miner Wars beta entry. Not sure why I don't play online more often - I always have a blast when I play... Guess I just can't find time to play much anymore. My name has always been D2Junkie... Which is actually somewhat of a misnomer because the older I get, the more I prefer D1. D2 is now actually my least favorite Descent game... Oh well. I'll probably get bored one day and fall in love with D2 again.  ;)

Glad to have you around, Alieo!
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 08:54:30 PM »
@wazzazzle: Hey I know you're into music and have made some major contributions to the Descent music gallery. I just posted 7 or 8 remixes I did long ago. Actually, they're just rearrangements, but check it out and tell me what you think. Also, has anyone re-posted that 28 minute D3 audio taunts file from the old PD? I have it if y'all want it uploaded.

@D2Junkie aka D2H4XX0R3D: Nothing beats the original. I like them both, but I do love D1. It's kinda like asking a parent, who is your favorite child? Deep down, it's always going to be the first one... lucky for me I'm the first, middle and last! Hehe... By the way, I've mentioned this to you before, but I'll say it again, EXCELLENT job on the Descent music. You are a VERY talented musician. Good luck with that project you're working on and in school.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 09:05:57 PM »
I'll change my name back after this possible crisis is over, it must be a pretty confusing time to join the forum though :P.

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 10:44:12 PM »
Yeah, right now all the name changing stuff is somewhat confusing, hope this gets solved soon.

Anyway, Welcome back Alieo!! :)

I play online very rarely, and mostly D2X-XL using the internal tracker on it. My Pilot name is Pumo (as well as my original username, but I had to change to what you see now due to the spammers :P).

As for me the best Descent titles are D1 and D2 IMO, and I must agree that in some points D1 is even better than D2 (Although I like the weapon variety and the switchs on walls stuff of D2, I must say the overall level design, texturing and robot placement is way superior on D1).

Oh, and now that we are at it, if you're using D2X-XL be sure to play the demo of my mission/mod "Pumo Mines : Kartsal Motivation" (hehe, a bit of advertising here lol  ;D). Is a must play! it features custom movies, hi-res textures, models, ships, weapons, hi-quality OGG music and a new universe and story to explore (although right now the demo only includes 3 levels, but my plan is to make a 20 level mission).

And good to know you're another music enthusiast! :D
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 11:24:41 PM »
My ears perked when you said "hi-quality OGG music"... I'll have to check it out, being a Descent music freak. Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to anytime soon. I'll be way busy gearing up for the following semester.

And about this hacker... seriously... who would be bored enough to want to hack into a forum? *shakes head*

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 05:58:51 AM »
what would they even benefit from? if they break in, they get to read our messages to each other? I'm intimidated.  :)

my pilot name was and still can be Vanguard. I'm not sure when I'll be back in the mines, so to speak, may only be Friday and Saturday nights.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets