Author Topic: All looks good, but monitor doesn't light up  (Read 11032 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: All looks good, but monitor doesn't light up
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 02:03:52 PM »
Cool, well, at least you are making progress!
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 02:11:04 PM »
Is it a safe bet that he may need to buy a 667 or 800 model type?

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 06:26:46 AM »
Looks like I am making progress :)
The supervisor brought in another set of memory sticks, and the system started booting up with a screen that now turns on :)

UPDATE: I had an issue with Win 7, but it was on my end. It seems to be working so far. :) :) :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 06:45:37 AM by Vanguard »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 07:35:35 AM »
Sweet!
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 07:39:17 AM »
it's a nice feeling to get this going. The only thing I see now is a "CPU FAN ERROR" - "Press F1 to continue" everytime I boot up the PC. Fan spins and everything. I don't get it.
It's just nice to get this far. It always feels different working on a pc for a supervisor/job than it is working on your own.

Thanks guys for your help and the patience! Great crew here :)

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2010, 08:01:08 AM »
The CPU fan has an extra wire which allows the motherboard to detect and control the fan speed - the mb will complain if it doesn't see that connection (and in that case, the fan will always run at 100%).  I'd check the plug from the cpu fan; should be three wires/pins, as I recall; might have gotten bumped loose.

Oh, and no problem.  The folks here are great, as you know.  :)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 08:08:17 AM »
one of the wires got pinched. That could be an issue. everything else looks fine. if its not that crucial, is there a way to disable this error from popping up?

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 09:03:41 AM »
You can check in the BIOS.  I've seen an option to disable fan warnings a couple of times before.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 09:35:01 AM »
One thing about that fan detection, is that it's a "safety valve" to help guard against damage in the case of a fan failure.  It usually is a good idea to have that circuit working rather than disabled.

Use a multi-meter to check for continuity in the wires (look for a break) and perhaps repair the break.

It occurs to me, that many systems have wires that run from the motherboard to the fan but also have an important power connector (maybe three or four wires) from the power supply that plugs into the motherboard near the processor and the fan connector.  I hope that particular connector is plugged in (not having it plugged in can generate the error you're seeing, plus the fan usually doesn't run unless the fan gets it's power directly from the power supply).

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 10:06:31 AM »
I think I found the error. It's plugged into the chassis fan plug and not the CPU plug.
Is it safe to switch it when it's on? Windows 7 is being installed, he needs to get the product key, and I'd hate to start this all over.

update: i shut off the pc and switched the cable to the CPU_FAN. should have known that from the start  ::)

but hey, it works! no errors. no monitor in standby mode. it WORKS!! :)

Thanks to you all!

p.s. so off topic, sorry, but I miss some of those d3 online games. are people still online paying D3? I use to have the Linux copy of D3 but it broke when my Blu-Ray player spun it too fast, and the disc broke in pieces :( very sad day.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 10:22:47 AM by Vanguard »

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 11:21:02 AM »
Glad you got it working!

p.s. so off topic, sorry, but I miss some of those d3 online games. are people still online paying D3? I use to have the Linux copy of D3 but it broke when my Blu-Ray player spun it too fast, and the disc broke in pieces :( very sad day.

Yep, not as many active players as a couple of years ago, but there are still games going on.  :)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2010, 11:28:42 AM »
sad actually. there weren't many a couple years ago, and there's less now. Too bad Descent 3 can't come out again on a gaming console. I can just pop in the disc in my ps3, and go online and play with others :)
I may get a mac edition soon, but first, I need an iMac. I did buy a copy of D3 from a private seller on Amazon, and instead I got a different disc. Not as bad as one may think. It's the original Descent for mac. How well it works, I haven't the clue yet.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2010, 01:39:53 PM »
Hey cool!   :o That version had remixed music from the original Descent.  You can play it in a CD player I think.

As for D3, register here (http://www.dateiliste.com/) and PM Thomas about it.  As we know that you already have a license for D3, we can help you get a new copy (and without the tedious setup and upgrading process).

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2010, 05:42:47 PM »
Hey Vanguard, You need to get new copy of the Loki Descent 3 images?  Here are some DBB.net threads that may be of use.

Descent 3 Linux files
http://www.descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?t=7567
Check the FunkyStickman posts ... I managed to get the Loki Descent 3 Linux CDs from one of the links (as far as I remember).

Descent 3: Mercenary installer for Linux
http://www.descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?t=17228

Loki Descent 3 discussion of an error I had ...
http://www.descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?t=17063

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2010, 02:04:05 PM »
I think I found what you mean techopro. If it's the tar.bz folder/files, how do you extract or install that? I was only good with rpm's. well, simple click and install is why.

my guess is, I need a copy of the Windows edition? That's probably still cheap on amazon.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets