Author Topic: Importing to D3Edit from Blender  (Read 60337 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Importing to D3Edit from Blender
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2010, 09:37:10 AM »
Now that would be a scary d3 bot... a giant pair of hands coming down from the sky *smack*!
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline (LL)Atan

• Gold
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2010, 05:24:25 AM »
@ WillyP
 this reminds me on the Bot I did for BlownStarship where it was just designed as deco.
One day I made it walking and more, and inserted it into one of the MaS testlevel without telling something about to Dark.
So he was test-flying the level and turning around a corner and suddenly this Bot stand in front of him.
Dark told me that he was flying near to the bot to see how it looks like as this bot-guy suddenly moves one of his arms and throw Dark a mortar grenade directly in his face.
Wow, what a cool moment that was.., I believe ;)

@ Babylon and Scyphi
I uploaded the D3Edit build 48 to the upload server and mailed Fischlein a new tutorial about the Blender Mesh Import function.
I don't believe that the tutorial is needed because the function is very easy to use.
But you will see the needed rules to follow there again.

Hope I could help you ahead with this importer, it's not perfect for sure, but it should do it's job so I hope.
Let me know if this new function will work, as it is, for you both now.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2010, 06:48:12 AM »
lol on the bot!  Would like to see the look on his face!

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2010, 09:01:38 AM »
Point me to a download link (in English preferably) and I'll download that straight away, Atan. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline (LL)Atan

• Gold
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2010, 10:02:11 AM »
Sorry, there is no place to download D3EDIT AV41 Build 2.1.41.48 directly. (in the moment)
Seems you don't own the latest public version D3EDIT AV41 Build 2.1.41.47 ?
With that version you'll be able to update (look at Menu Help)  to build 48, or all coming next versions. Try it out.

Look for 47 i.e. here at
http://www.descent3fischlein.de/home.html
you'll find it there on the right side, called  -> D3EDIT AV41

On the other hand you may download it here too:
http://www.descentforum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2577

or, maybe you would like it the best, at:
http://www.descentvalhalla.com/

If that update function possible doesn't work for you (it should), in this case, please  PM me your email address.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2010, 06:55:02 AM »
Quote from: Atan
Seems you don't own the latest public version D3EDIT AV41 Build 2.1.41.47 ?

Uh, I don't know off hand actually, I forgot I could've just told D3Edit to search for updates. Probably would've been easier to do it that way now that I think about it...  ::)

Though now that I think about it, I don't think it was build 2.1.41.47 anyway...and I wanted to download the zip to a server computer so I can install it on more than one computer (if need be) rather than have it just automatically be installed on one computer, so this works out. :P

Whatever the case, I've downloaded it, will open it up and experiment with it the next chance I get. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline (LL)Atan

• Gold
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2010, 07:18:41 AM »
Which version you own is easy to look for. Just look into Menu->Help->About D3Edit.

Update is implemented just as a feature and not as a must..
If the importer would work well enough for you both, I will upload the version to the known places but I would like to wait until I have inserted some more stuff.

On the other hand, if you update, you will own that newest D3Edit which you can place on every computer as often you want. It's just an exe file, nothing else needed.
But If you, in general, don't like to update by D3Edit (or any other prg) itself, so we can talk about sending that beta version to test out the importer via mail or privat dl-link.

BTW in the meantime I try to implement a 3ds importer. First tests are looking good but it will take some time as ever...

Offline (LL)Atan

• Gold
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2010, 10:26:42 AM »
I finally could import a 3ds file including some sub-objects now.

Same rules for this 3ds importer :

10000 vertices
3000 faces (polygons)

Means that you can use low poly objects only.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 10:31:07 AM by Atan »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2010, 12:38:44 PM »
Truly amazing stuff, Atan!

Offline Babylon

• Silver
  • Hyperactive Comma User
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2010, 05:48:27 PM »
I finally got a chance to do more building this week, and I have to say that I LOVE this converter.  It's perfect, in my opinion; so much better than the old way.  (I also got to try out the new AV41 texturing options; those are pretty sweet, too  ^^;)

On an unrelated note, though, I noticed that CTRL+U no longer works for unselecting marked vertices/faces.  Is this just a bug that cropped up?

Offline (LL)Atan

• Gold
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2010, 03:19:14 AM »
Hm, I really can't remember if, or when I changed that.
Inside which version worked this Ctrl+U last?

To unselect, just hit u.

Here some key strokes from Toolbar "Key"  (Shortcuts), hope this will help ahead, if not, please give me a note.

Mark items in vertex, face, and object modes
   mark selected = space
   unmark all = u
   invert markings = i
   mark all = m
   mark worldview = m

Vertices:
   place vertex (vertex mode) = ins
   Rotate around current vertex = CTRL+NUMPAD1 / CTRL+NUMPAD3
   Rotate around current face center = CTRL+ALT+NUMPAD1 / CTRL+ALT+NUMPAD3
   Copy marked verts  =  ctrl + c
   Paste verts = ctrl + v
   Paste verts on top (of copied item) = ctrl + shift + v
   Mark all Verts in face = ctrl + m

Faces:
   n = flip marked face(s)
   copy face = ctrl + c
   paste face = ctrl + v
   paste on top (of copied item) = ctrl + shift + v
   place face (face mode) = ins
   place face (vertex mode) = shift + ins
   combining co-planar faces = CTRL+SHIFT+CLICK
   propagate texture alignment = CTRL+CLICK
   center current face = Shift + c
   Mark all reachable Faces from current = VK_NUMPAD0
   Mark all marked faces Verts: ctrl + m

As for the Importer, glad you like it!
Explore more of the new functions, I think there is a lot new stuff inside to look for.
I.E. Menu-> File-> New

« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 03:23:10 AM by Atan »

Offline Babylon

• Silver
  • Hyperactive Comma User
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2010, 11:01:12 PM »
CTRL+U last worked in AV40 (the previous version).  I've changed to using SHIFT+U, but maybe that only works because I'm pressing U?

Either way, it's not really important at all, so don't worry about it.  I just find it awkward to change something after using it for so long.  xD  This old dog shall just have to learn new tricks.

Offline (LL)Atan

• Gold
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2010, 02:29:43 AM »
This old dog shall just have to learn new tricks
:)

I believe it's me who should double that, don't know who's older :)

I think you are right that's it nothing to worry about,  but I did a quick look for ctrl+'u' either.
I went back to 1.1[beta9] to see how this worked there, you just needed 'u' but it works sure with ctrl+'u' or shift+'u' too because it wasn't checked, all is like typing 'u' only.
Since AV41 I added the key-stroke ctrl+'u' for terrain handling  "Use Occlusion\tCtrl+U" because I didn't found that this key-combo was in use anywhere.

So I believe you learned a 'wrong trick' that time and I hope you may have no big trouble at all using the 'u'-key only now.

Thank you for your feedback Babylon !!

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2010, 11:27:07 AM »
I also have been poking around with this new version of D3Edit, and have thus far learned that I am terribly out of practice with using it. :P

Beyond that, I also learned I can't figure out how to import the Blender files. Atan, you alluded to a tutorial existing for that, but I can't find it, so can you again point me in the right direction? I'm very anxious to try it out. :D
Check out my deviantART

Offline (LL)Atan

• Gold
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2010, 11:57:54 AM »
No problem, go to:
http://www.descent3fischlein.de/home.html
don't worry if you see it's in German language, just  look for -> Micro-D3-Edit Tipps 5.
You'll see that on the right side of the screen.
A click will let you jump directly to the Import Blender tut. (I call this micro-tuts because these tutorial are very short)
Then you will find this text:
Wenn Ihr Euch diese Anleitung ausdrucken wollt,
Deutsch: Word, PDF
Englisch: Word, PDF

Then you may download a word or pdf file of this tutorial. I tried to translate this stuff, could be done better, I know :)

If you would like to see all new tut's related to D3Edit[AV] look on the menu at the left side of the start screen.
There hit onto -> D3Edit and then choose -> D3Edit von (LL)ATAN
and you'll find 16 little tutorials I wrote in the meantime.
I didn't translate all, I believe I did the last 3 ones only, must have a look again.
If there is something you would like to read in English let me know, I'll try to translate and place it there too.
On the other hand, if anyone would like to do any better translations of these tut's there, feel free :)
You may send this to Fischlein then.

And for sure this D3Editing needs practice with using it, even if it's much easier to handle these days,  just give it a try :)
Just a little hint, Tab switches between Verts and Faces...

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets