Author Topic: P5yc0d3lic M4N!!  (Read 5094 times)

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
P5yc0d3lic M4N!!
« on: June 04, 2009, 08:43:22 PM »

Yea i know thats not how you spell it. But yea anyway..

Ever wondered what it looked like outside of a Descent 3 level? Where there it is, its from Do'hME (cant remember the exact spelling) i dont know how i found it, but i did, it was prettey fun sniping Geordon from the ground!

Yea, im running out of screenshots.  :-\
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
Re: P5yc0d3lic M4N!!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 05:59:23 AM »
Even if you are running out of shots, you should probably avoid the out-of-level effect (commonly called the Hall-Of-Mirrors effect, where the application stops updating parts of the screen, because, well, there's nothing to update it with) ;). A lot of us have probably seen this effect many times in the past.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 07:25:38 PM »
I've actually only experienced it a couple of times, and I think in the same level. I remember catching it going down a steam tower once.

Incidentally, this is less a glitch and more of a normal occurence. Almost every game imaginable does this - in fact, in Valve's Counterstrike, a spectator can simply move into a wall and watch this happen at any time. Most games - Descent especially - try to minimize or eliminate the effect. Still, any game involving lots of corners, edges, and doors is going to have some exploitable hole somewhere.  ;)
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 08:45:57 PM »
Still, any game involving lots of corners, edges, and doors is going to have some exploitable hole somewhere.  ;)

One game comes to mind when you say that.

Combat Arms.

My friend plays it.. it used to be everyone could go through a wall anywhere. See, the knife has like some sort of like "Dash" effect. So like you could dash through the wall and happily snipe people. But the developers have recently fixed that.  :P
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 04:26:53 AM »
When you build levels, then you will experience it more than you care to admit...  ;)

I agree with IB, I think 'hall of mirror' shots should not be over-used as PotD.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 07:29:26 AM »
Heh, actually I've seen several games that end up clearing the screen buffer before drawing a new one/putting the next one in from Page Flipping, preventing this effect from happening

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 08:15:15 AM »
I remember back in D1, people used the Hall of Mirrors fairly often in custom levels and on purpose to make some kind of effect or room. When used right, it was pretty cool. Unfortunately, this only happened in the original game; mods like Rebirth and D2X-XL have removed the Hall of Mirrors effect.

It's still a cool "bug" to exploit on occasion, though. I've seen people do some pretty wild things with this. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 09:46:06 AM »
I agree with IB, I think 'hall of mirror' shots should not be over-used as PotD.

What do you mean "over-used"? I only posted one POTD on this.  :P

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 05:40:05 PM »
No-ones complaining about this one, but consider it a pre-emptive strike.  :o
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 05:58:11 AM »
Strike! Strike! Strike! :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets