Author Topic: Sherlock on BBC  (Read 3887 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Sherlock on BBC
« on: November 10, 2010, 10:49:06 AM »
So now Sherlock Holmes is on BBC, in modern times.  Darn good show!

Sherlock Holmes – BBC – trailer
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Sidhe Priest

• Gold
  • Blackstar jockey.
    • Pyromania
Re: Sherlock on BBC
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 10:37:26 PM »
Yeah, though he's a bit too much of a showoff, that actor, Benedict what-was-his-name? The real Sherlock Holmes is more of a thinker and a sport, not as dramatic-impressionist.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 06:03:35 AM »
Not necessarily, Sherlock had a small dramatic flare to him, though he probably wouldn't admit it. More than once he already knew the answer and had the case all figured out, but refused to tell anyone (even Watson, which sometimes drove the poor man up the wall) up until either the bad guy(s) were successfully captured or close to it, to build suspense. I believe Sherlock even verbally stated once that it was his intent to build suspense while doing these kind of things. So Sherlock does have a dramatic side to him, and does show off a little (more than once he and Watson could be sitting around and Sherlock would, out of the blue, announce the very thing Watson's thinking, having used his deductive skills to determine it, always accurately, too, to Watson's continued amazement).

But not to the extreme, of course, he never got carried away with that.

Having never seen the show, I can't say whether or not this element is being portrayed accurately in it. I am interested now, but unfortunately, we don't get the BBC on our network. :(
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Sidhe Priest

• Gold
  • Blackstar jockey.
    • Pyromania
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 11:47:43 AM »
Cumberbatch overplays. The original Sherlock liked to keep expectations and uncover the mystery, as well as keep the mystery until it absolutely can't be revealed. Cumberbatch makes a show out of it. His Sherlock also is more negative, sinister than the original jolly sporty thinker.

The original Sherlock is modest. Sherlock's an INTP, IN types just don't care much about showoff, they're systematic, and that kind of systematic arrangement of an individuality usually excludes cheap impressing theatrics. Impress with a notion - sure; but not with expression. The real Sherlock is less expressive, more of an outwardly dry and calm type.

Offline Sidhe Priest

• Gold
  • Blackstar jockey.
    • Pyromania
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 11:48:46 AM »
Sherlock at PBS - you can watch it there.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 07:52:31 AM »
K, watched an episode now. I see your point, he does seem, for lack of a better word, arrogant in this.

But other than that and the flashy on-screen text for things like Internet searches (which doesn't really add as much to the show as you'd think) I kind of like it. Fairly nicely done modern rendition of Sherlock Holmes, and one of the better ones that I've seen.

Of course it's not without it's flaws, but what show isn't? :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 08:41:50 AM »
No, nothing is ever perfect to everybody.  I think they came pretty close to what Doyle would have written today, if he were writing Sherlock today.  I have read all of the original Sherlock, and quite a bit of what else Doyle has written.  While I am a fan of the character, I cannot say I am a fan of the author.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 09:48:49 AM »
Dangit, this happens all the time... "This video is not available in your region".  Why can't every station just make it available everywhere, that would save non-americans a lot of time.

Offline Sidhe Priest

• Gold
  • Blackstar jockey.
    • Pyromania
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 10:41:33 AM »
He's a bit too much of a drama queen. Sherlock was a king of thought, that kind of people is usually more reserved. And modest.

But yes, the show's pretty well done.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 01:32:37 PM »
I'm not really sure why games/websites restrict their service areas. It costs them to same to send data to someone next door as it does to send it across the world.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 04:23:48 PM »
I think it has more to do with liscencing deals, there are different channels that are authorized to air the show in different places, and I guess they have to do the same on their websites (or something like that).

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 06:54:08 PM »
Thanks for the PBS link, S-Priest.

I watched an episode with Scyphi and I gotta agree, the role of Sherlock is being overplayed but I suspect that's part of the scripts they're giving the actor.  As is, I did find the episode very intriguing and it kept my attention.  Kind of enjoyed it.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets