Author Topic: Descent 3 Advanced Tutorials...  (Read 13903 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Descent 3 Advanced Tutorials...
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 12:03:13 PM »
Discussion about a Blender to D3Edit converter has been moved to: 'Importing to D3Edit from Blender'

Feel free to discuss Descent 3 Advanced Tutorials here!

8)
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Babylon

• Silver
  • Hyperactive Comma User
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 02:01:27 PM »
I've gotton farther than this, but was wondering what format would be best to lay these reference pieces out in.  This one I just typed out in Open Office.  Any suggestions of a better way, that would be easy for quick reference alongside building?

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2010, 03:49:29 PM »
As soon as some kinks are worked out, we will upgrade the forum to the latest version of SMF and TinyPortal.  TinyPortal comes with an awesome article system, you can see it at the test site: http://www.test.planetdescent.net/ 

So once this upgrade takes place you can submit articles in html or bbc, whichever you prefer. 

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 09:01:14 PM »
The Tutorials would probably be a good thing to add to the Descent Guides Project.

Do we have plans to upgrade the SMF version of that site?

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 09:43:39 PM »
Maybe.  It's something I have thought about. I am not happy with the wiki that powers DecsentiaPedia.  So a possibility would be to upgrade the forum, install TP, and migrate all the pages of DescentiaPedia to the article system of TP.  But then, there are still a few minor bugs in the article system.  I am in the process of documenting them in the bug tracker at TP right now.  Unfortunately, TP recently lost it's founder and chief coder a few days ago, so that's a little up in the air at the moment.  My other thought was to move it all to here.

We don't use the article system here yet because this version is too buggy.

What do you think of moving it all here?  Perhaps the forum could be merged, or the posts  would have to be copy/ pasted.  All DescentiaPedia pages would have to be moved that way.  I've also made a wiki-like skin/mod for SMF that might work well, too.  Having it all here might kick up the activity, where users here are already logged in and would not have to register and login at a second site.  Of course, The Guides is your baby, so let me know what you think.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2010, 09:58:32 AM »
Actually, I think that might be a pretty good idea.  It would provide a couple of benefits one of which would be a substantially increased potential readership, plus the option for this forum's membership to post in the Guides section.

When we originally started the Guides project, there was PD.com, both of the DBBs, and a smattering of various Descent related sites people were personally running.  Much has changed since then.  DescentiaPedia came to be and provided a host for the Guides project, the Descent Mission Database went online, this site (PD.net) came to be, and then the demise of PD.com.

It makes sense to move the Guides project to a place when the Descent community is active and material suitable for the Guides is also active.  At the very least it would be a "shot in the arm" for the Guides project.

I will contact Top Gun and get his take on it.

Also, I'm thinking it may be time to move our discussion of the Guides to the Staff area.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets