Author Topic: Bring it on!  (Read 8515 times)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Bring it on!
« on: November 07, 2010, 06:18:02 PM »
They're here.  We weren't ready for it.  No one could tell us exactly when or where, but ... (que "Poltergeist" music) ... They're here.

The Christmas advertisements.  Like the unwanted political advertisements we just got through with, smacking you in the face every time you turn around inconveniently assaulting you like a drive-by robo-call during dinner, our future is flooded with the annoying, glitzy and cheesy, senseless and obvious, painfully mindless grab at our wallets.

Just once, because once would be enough, I'd like to enjoy a holiday season that not only waits until AFTER Thanksgiving was at least one week ago ... and didn't include any money grubbing holiday advertising.  Thus allowing for a chance to actually enjoy the changing of the seasons, a chance to do the winter season fun activities, friend and relative visits, decorations, and holiday cheer ... without ANY commercialization.

I'm ready for it, so BRING IT ON!

Just one problem.  How would I be able to figure out what I want for Christmas, if I can't browse through the Christmas catalogs and advertisements?

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
Re: Bring it on!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 06:24:36 PM »
I think the worst part of the holiday advertising season are the christmas carols where they take the lyrics and replace them with something related to their stores and then depending on how common the variants are you almost start forgetting the actual lyrics and begin hating the songs anyways.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 12:32:39 AM »
Nicely put, Techpro.

Well, sounds like another reason for being grateful for living in the EU. We don't have that here (nah, not Christmas - I am talking about the ads and modified carols!). 8)

What we are having here however is all the Christmas sweets and gingerbread and chocolate Santas months before Christmas, when summer has barely passed.  :-\
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 12:37:15 AM by karx11erx »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 03:53:50 AM »
Really!  I would have assumed if you had tellys they had ads.  Are you saying there are no ads on your telly and in the mail, or just no Christmas ads? 

eh... I hardly watch TV anymore anyway.  I get blasted by all the ads anyway, as my wife has the tv on, in the same room, all the time she is home!  I can't even shut it off to eat dinner anymore!  I did watch Sherlock last night.  I like that show.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 05:57:04 AM »
Willy, context anybody?

Of course we do have ads. We just don't have Christmas ads yelling abused Christmas carols at us at every corner ("occasion", if you'd otherwise take "corner" literally - we probably do not have TVs at every corner). Or ads yelling at us "American style" at all.

I have heard though that there are USAreans (hehehe) who cannot even believe that we have Facebook in Europe. Or probably running water. Or can walk upright on two legs. ::) Actually we're just a simulation run on USArean super computers (that explains small glitches, like me typing this message on a computer despite my being unable to walk upright on two legs or speak a complicated language, or a language at all - but that way you can tell the simulation is USArean. Germans never would create something so imperfect - if we had created that simulation, you couldn't even tell we existed).

;D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 06:05:32 AM by karx11erx »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 06:07:50 AM »
I've never lived in the eu so I can't have that context, that's why I asked.  It did sound like you meant no Christmas ads, but I didn't know if maybe tv broadcasters over there had some other biz model.

As far as facebook goes I am sure the internet is the same, exepting a few countries that censor, with minor differences in spelling and vernacular, like colour vs color, telly vs tv... nobody says telly over here, but we all know what is meant.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 06:08:25 AM »
The context is this thread and the subject brought up therein.

I had to guess that "telly" == "tv", but given the context ... ::)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 06:13:43 AM »
Most people here think of Germans as either the quint cottage and beer gardens or super high tech ultra-precision... (think BMW, VW) with all the latest gadgets, and a monocle.  No, just kidding about the monocle...  we only know about Germany from watching Hogan's Heroes.  ;)  ::)

Oh, I guess 'telly' is British.... watching too much Monty Pythons...   ;D

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 06:58:45 AM »
... and Inglorious Basterds, right? :)

Sometimes, when looking at the weird fascination Anglo-Saxonians seem to have in Hitler, I think that if he hadn't existed, he would have needed to be invented just for them ...

;D

As far as beer gardens and high tech go: Don't worry, we are having beer gardens with their own microprocessor controlled beer micro-breweries. There is one close to where I live, and their beer is fantastic ... plus you can have a Bavarian specialty with it: "Obatzda" (spiced cheese cream on fresh German bread .... mmmmmmmm).

Ok, I invented the part about the micro-processors because it sounded so cool to have such a synthesis. I do however believe that modern breweries control the brewing process with computers.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:05:41 AM by karx11erx »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 08:12:20 AM »
Don't worry, Karx, I have a friend who's from Germany, so I know you people really exist. :P

Quote from: Techpro
Like the unwanted political advertisements we just got through with...

Wait...political ads actually STOP airing? Since when? :P x2
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 08:19:45 AM »
The day of the election... 90% of them, anyway.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 09:42:59 AM »
Don't worry, Karx, I have a friend who's from Germany, so I know you people really exist. :P
PHEEEEEEEEEEEW!

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 11:46:42 AM »

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 11:47:25 AM »
... "Obatzda" (spiced cheese cream on fresh German bread .... mmmmmmmm)...

Oh Diedel... I.. Hate... You when you say 'spiced-cheese-cream' !!  >:(
Borrow some to me plz!! I love cheese, and must eat every cheese on the world! Give me YOUR cheese!
¬.O
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 04:16:38 PM »
LOOOOOOOOOOOL @ the video!

I love it! So hilariously true!

I have to show this to my friends. They will laugh their asses off.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 04:18:15 PM by karx11erx »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets