Author Topic: Descent clone  (Read 30571 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Descent clone
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 02:58:50 PM »
Well, my suggestion for Violetta is if he has skillz in any area, to join a project already in progress, like ODF.  Or at least, take a look and see if it's something you feel you could get on board with.  Or is your wish to be a leader, rather than a contributor?
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 07:17:36 PM »
Foil... I don't doubt that you probably have more experience making programs than me, but you really should stop harping on Miner Wars.

Offline Sidhe Priest

• Gold
  • Blackstar jockey.
    • Pyromania
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 07:26:58 PM »
Or is your wish to be a leader, rather than a contributor?
One doesn't exclude the other...

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 07:25:04 AM »
@ Matt: I dunno if I'd really call that a harp on Miner Wars. It could even be debated if it was even directed at Miner Wars. All Foil said is that he had more optimism for ODF than Miner Wars, which could be interpreted any number of ways. Furthermore, I don't think it was really necessary for you to bring up the subject. I've learned (through experience) that sometimes it's better to not bring up these subjects and just let them drop. Assuming the other person does as well.

To be fair, though, all I pointed out about the subject was that I didn't think Miner Wars was a proper Descent clone. It's certainly Descent inspired but it brings enough new material to the table that it is its own game. Something like ODF would be considered a Descent clone, especially as the video NUMBERZero was kind enough to provide a link for demonstrates that it looks something like a mix between D2X-XL and D3.

Speaking of which, NUMBERZero, just because ODF looks backwards at the moment doesn't mean they aren't going to make more progress, if they haven't already. It's a WIP, remember. I personally think what they showed in that vid would look great once it's got some proper lighting. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Online Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 07:32:13 AM »
To be fair, though, all I pointed out about the subject was that I didn't think Miner Wars was a proper Descent clone...

That's kind of why I put it in brackets in my first post.

Offline Violetta

• Silver
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 08:13:43 AM »
Well what are some existing projects out there?

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 09:09:54 AM »
Scyphi, "backwards" was a joke. You need to play multiplayer more often. Ascent (the level in the video) was backwards.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 09:40:45 AM »
Ha! I thought that looked familiar!

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 09:42:37 AM »
Or is your wish to be a leader, rather than a contributor?
One doesn't exclude the other...

No, you are right, my thought was that maybe the reason he wanted to start another project was that he wanted to lead a project.

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2010, 10:11:31 AM »
Scyphi, "backwards" was a joke. You need to play multiplayer more often. Ascent (the level in the video) was backwards.

Do you mean Upside-down? If so, I fail.  :o
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2010, 04:00:42 PM »
Scyphi,

I have to say that Foil is slowly giving me the feeling too that he is just vituperating Miner Wars.

Online Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2010, 05:04:19 PM »
Do you mean Upside-down? If so, I fail.  :o

I think it was mirrored.  Sort of like the tracks in Lego Racers when you play them for the second time.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2010, 08:12:47 AM »
@ Karx: *looks up vituperating* Ah, here we go... :P

Actually I don't that was his intention in this instance, otherwise he could've done a lot more of it. Besides, I don't think he's trying to start an argument. Already went through this. He made his thoughts about it clear, most of the rest of us made it clear we thought differently. We all got our thoughts off our chest, etc, etc.

Really, probably nothing left to discuss about that. So let's move on past that. :)

@ NUMBERZero: Oh.  ::) Okay, my bad. That's what I get for making a mountain out of a molehill, I suppose...

@ Alter-Fox: That comment was really more directed at everybody than at any particular person. Actually, I had forgotten you had even mentioned Miner Wars in your post. :P

@ Violetta: Since no one has answered your question as of yet, the only active pseudo-D4 or just Descent-related projects that I know of are ODF and Miner Wars. Can't vouch for ODF, but I do know that Miner Wars is looking for anybody who's willing to pitch in with their project, so I suppose if you've got any experience in the field, you could look into it. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2010, 10:37:55 AM »
"vituperate" came closest to what I wanted to say (in German). In German I would have used a very common expression - I just couldn't find a better translation.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 10:41:02 AM by karx11erx »

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2010, 10:43:16 AM »
Again, I'm simply "calling it as I see it."

Here's what I see:

Miner Wars
Fluff:
- Attractive website
- Lots of videos with plenty of graphics/effects
- Plenty of advertising
- Community involvement (logo contest, tourney)
- Scripted demo
Scope:
- Massive, tons of features
Hard content:
- Alpha singleplayer-only demo with lots of asteroid/ship models but very limited functionality
- Asking for investor and pre-purchase $$

To me, the above looks like a typical investment ploy (well-advertised product, lots of promised features, shiny prototype without much functionality, developers catering to small niche market).

Honestly, I hope I'm wrong.  I'd sincerely love to see Miner Wars actually come to fruition.  But I don't think that's ever going to happen.

...On the other hand:

Open Descent Foundation
Fluff:
- None whatsoever
Scope:
- Narrow, well-defined, very limited
Hard Content:
- No demo
- Getting core structures in place, including netcode and tools for use of existing resources (D1/2/3 levels, etc.)
- Agonizingly slow development
- Asking for development assistance

-----------------

IMHO, the ODF guys are going about it the right way, even if this pace means it'll be five years before we see anything.  They're putting core pieces in place before advertising it to the world and asking for $$... not the other way around.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets