Author Topic: Decided to stop playing  (Read 3828 times)

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
Decided to stop playing
« on: October 25, 2010, 09:51:05 PM »
Well I have made the decision to completely stop playing D3 multiplayer (again). This doesn't come easily, as I enjoy a good game, but the problems plaguing me lately are just too much to handle and turn what would be a fun game into a very annoying, stressful experience. For some reason my provider/connection/whatever has gotten much worse to the US servers (and they are the best servers when playing from Korea) resulting in loss and ping spikes that to me, are unplayable. I've been used to playing on about 180-200 stable, which isn't exactly a walk in the park. But lately I've been seeing 220-350 and it's very unstable, with invisible crap hitting me in almost every firefight and I can no longer predict targets accurately due to the irregular ping. I've been very used to playing with higher ping than my opponents (I guess you could say I am a high ping expert) but this crap is just unplayable now. What makes matter worse is when people start smacking you for skipping or being hard to hit, using ping as a reason. It doesn't help that my stick is in terrible condition, and no replacements are available in Korea.

It's been a fun year since coming out of retirement, but Megathron is officially being boxed. GG all!

Giddity.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 09:55:00 PM by Hunter »
Sectorgame.com - Descent and Freespace mods/levels.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Decided to stop playing
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 10:35:06 AM »
I know how you feel!  When I first started playing I was on dial up, and 200~400 ping was on a good day.  I often would see the ping up over 1,000!  On top of that the machine I had at the time would dip the fps down in the single digits often.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 12:08:34 PM »
Hunter,

I hope the particular game last night wasn't a primary source of frustration.  I could tell you were having connect issues (sometimes it seemed you never saw some of the things I shot toward you), but you were still tearing me up like you usually do despite the latency.

Anyway, the game dropped off after you left - teams just never balanced again.  I hope you change your mind, and/or at least pop in from time to time.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 12:11:12 PM »
Foil? Getting torn up? Hunter must be a god of some sort.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 12:24:31 PM »
Foil? Getting torn up? Hunter must be a god of some sort.

I'm a good player, but I'm not at Hunter's level (I'm probably only at about 40-45% efficiency against him).  

If he had a decent latency, he'd tear people up even more.  He's rock-solid, very experienced, plays extremely smart, and plays frequently.  If he doesn't change his mind, the community of players is going to miss him.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 12:26:08 PM by Foil »

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 02:34:06 PM »
Nah, its been messing me up bad the last few weeks which is mainly why I've reduced my frequency of playing  - I was hoping it would improve but even on 'quiet' days it's been high and lossy. It's just too hard to see whats going on, and my controller isn't helping, either.
Sectorgame.com - Descent and Freespace mods/levels.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets