Author Topic: D2X-XL demo mission  (Read 18701 times)

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
Re: D2X-XL demo mission
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 05:05:32 AM »
Let it rain ...

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 07:47:36 AM »
Oh my god, you're playing which game? D3? :P
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 08:37:59 AM »
The rain effect does look awesome... but don't forget that I made the actual level structure.  Looks like my TrackMania 2 music contribution might fit this level pretty well.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 08:58:14 AM »
Why do you have to state that you made it? Do you believe I might take your "fame" away by posting a screenshot showing rain in your level?

Tsk.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 09:55:04 AM »
No, just because I'm an insane maniac.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2010, 11:28:21 AM »
I think it's perfectly reasonable for him to want credit for the level in the screenshot. What's unreasonable is question him about it, especially in such a hostile way.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2010, 02:00:22 PM »
I think it's absolutely unreasonable, since this thread is about his level all the way, and it should be clear to everybody reading it that the screenshot is from his level.

I also think it is absolutely unreasonable to suggest my post was hostile. You seem to see hostility around you pretty quickly. You may want to check your attitude in this regard. As it is now you are creating problems where there are none.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 02:04:07 PM by karx11erx »

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2010, 07:58:20 PM »
Ok everyone, I think we got that all worked out now.  Alter-Fox's level that intentionally showcases the abilities of D2X-XL which is has come about through karx11erx's efforts. They both deserve a lot of credit and both deserve recognition whenever their work appears here.

Nice effects, karx11erx.  I'm anxious to see multiple levels that make use of that.  As yet, few have had the chance to make use of it.

Alter-Fox, this demo mission looks like it's pretty cool.  I haven't seen it yet, so I just don't know yet but if it's anything like your other works, I'm sure it is good.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2010, 08:01:42 PM »
@Matthew... not to be an @$$, but I agree with Karx (though for a different reason).  I was a bit concerned that it was the D2X-XL FX and not my level design that was getting all the credit.  Then after I posted, I realized that I not only sounded like an insecure maniac, I remembered that the whole point of the level was to give D2X-XL all the credit.  I want to take it back and delete the post, but that would be rude to everyone who's been discussing it so I won't.

As for the new version, I've been having a couple of wierd problems.... first all the smoke objects were turned into rain.  It was easy to turn them back into smoke, but I couldn't change the colour in DLE-XP for some reason so they don't look like a noxious yellow gas anymore.
The other problem is destroying the reactor crashes D2X-XL now.  I'll download the latest version and test to see if it still happens in there (I'm using 1.15.95 right now).  If it still happens I'll post a bug report.

EDIT: It still crashes on reactor destruction in 1.15.100, I'll post a bug report tomorrow.  In the meantime I'll try to update my version of the level with a fixed skybox, and put it onto the DMDB (without rain FX yet though).

Also @Karx, how does that grey texture you used on the skybox work to make D2X-XL copy/align the skybox ceiling texture?  Are there any special things I should do to make it work for myself (for example: does it have to replace a certain texture)?

@Techpro: Wait to download till I update it, the version on DMDB right now has no rain effects and the skybox is messed up.  I'm also replacing the music again (now it's going to use a song that I'm trying to contribute to TrackMania 2 (don't tell Nadeo :P)).  Also, what do you mean by my "other works"?  This is the first level I've ever released publicly.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 08:24:17 PM by Alter-Fox »

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2010, 12:15:05 AM »
Fox,

changing particle fx color in DLE-XP can be a bit tricky. You need to set the desired color values and then press tab in the effects dialog repeatedly to reach some other input field, or the values will not be accepted. I am aware of this slightly weird behavior, but have been able to get around it so far, so haven't bothered trying to fix it.

I don't understand your question regarding the skybox texture. In the level I have sent you, the skybox should be properly textured with sky textures, which I have added to the level as custom textures via the texture tool's "-> edit -> load" function.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 06:50:31 AM »
I don't understand your question regarding the skybox texture. In the level I have sent you, the skybox should be properly textured with sky textures, which I have added to the level as custom textures via the texture tool's "-> edit -> load" function.

Nevermind I see now.
I was confused because I thought it was a 2-cube skybox for some reason.
It looked like the grey texture on half of each of four sides was causing D2X-XL to render the skybox cube as "unfolded".  I wanted to see if I could emulate that with my own textures.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 06:58:36 AM by Alter-Fox »

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2010, 07:29:05 AM »
 Also, what do you mean by my "other works"?  This is the first level I've ever released publicly.
Guess I'm pretty optimistic.  ;D  No pressure.  ;)

Either way, the screen shots (and the premise of the project) seem pretty promising to me.  And ... while this might be your first to release publicly, haven't you been involved in some of the projects?  Or is my aging memory playing tricks on me?

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 09:44:43 AM »
One of my really early (i.e. bad) levels got remade by DarkFlameWolf for TEW... and that's about it so far.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2010, 10:57:28 AM »
Regarding the "half" skybox textures: The textures come from a level from Yokelassence, and I don't know why they're "halves". Depending on how you place the skybox around the level half a texture is enough to produce the illusion though.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 11:13:51 AM by karx11erx »

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2010, 11:07:58 AM »
Very cool, guys.

I'll be re-installing D2X-XL and trying out AF's new level (among others) this week.  :D

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets