Author Topic: Adieu Soupe  (Read 5475 times)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Adieu Soupe
« on: October 18, 2010, 11:03:32 PM »
I tell you I miss you, and I did.
Once I longed for you, vivid in my mind, but memories fade.
Oh, The tales I could tell, and mine were but a few of the tales that you knew.
Many there were that knew you, and in time, only a few will still remember.
Yet I will always remember, tho I have moved on, as all others have.
The years had worn long for you, and your age did show, in your shuffle and limp, at the end.
I'd bid you adieu, farewell, godspeed, but it was the end for you.
We will and do miss you, Our old friend, PlanetDescent dot com.

Let us (at least metaphorically) raise a toast in memory to the old PlanetDescent dot com, whose "lights went out" six months ago.  Cheers!

On or near April 2, 2010, the web site PlanetDescent dot com suffered a serious and possibly fatal database corruption which resulted in all active content of the site being inaccessible.  One or about April 19, 2010, the IGN network took down what was left of PlanetDescent dot com, and a long history came to an end.  However, the Descent community was not thwarted, having long consisted of several sites and forums surrounding the beloved Descent game series.  This site (PlanetDescent.net) is just one of those sites and exists as a tribute to the original PlanetDescent dot com, and has done well, currently much more active than the old PlanetDescent dot com had been in it's final times.  We thank you, the users.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: Adieu Soupe
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 10:54:51 AM »
In memoriam of PD.com...

(click to see bigger version)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 12:16:18 PM »
if you wish to use that logo as the site logo here it should probably be scaled down and given alpha.

Other than that, it looks nice.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 12:29:48 PM »
Do you happen to have the strip that had the silhouettes of bots?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:35:30 PM by WillyP »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 01:22:05 PM »
I think archive.org has it, but I can't seem to access the pd.com archives at the moment.

edit: strip:

« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 01:31:51 PM by InsanityBringer »

Offline Planet Orange [phx13]

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 03:48:11 PM »
planetdescent.com was the first Descent forum I signed up on.
Go Suns!

"To God be the Glory".
-Greg Jennings
Super Bowl XLV

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 04:10:46 PM »
Thanks, IB... anyone who is not using the theme 'Dusky 2', check it out.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 04:43:07 PM »
Looking good, but if you could add a background to the buttons, it would be solid.

EDIT: the text color should change (to black or something), but that works
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 05:01:56 PM by InsanityBringer »

Offline Top Gun

• Silver
  • PD Pyro
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 06:05:53 PM »
*pokes head in*

I'm liking that new header.  Very classy. :)

On this same topic, did we ever make a firm determination about whether or not we have backups of the site's database available?  I remember Thunderbird saying something along those lines, but I don't know if anyone followed up on it.  I was going to attempt to e-mail an old GameSpy support address at one point, but it's probably too late now, and they might not have anything anyway.  The Internet Archive is all well and good, but it'd be far better to have something more complete that we could host ourselves.  And while I'm thinking about it, is Checkor's DFiles host still active?  Even getting a rough database of those file listings would be useful.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 08:50:27 PM »
Hey, Top Gun!  Haven't seen ya in a while.  How ya doing?

Yeah, Thunderbird did say he had a backup copy of the database (or something along that line), but I never heard if he got anywhere with it.

As for a listing of the level downloads ... I think you're looking for this thread: http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?topic=301.0

In addition to that, we've been snagging some things from Do_Checkor's stash by using the archive's old links to get stuff and re-list here.  Do_Checkor's listing on d3fischlein.de defaults to German and while you can switch to English, single-tongued Americans might struggle a bit, plus the packs and non-level stuff is either hard to find or not listed ... so yeah, we're grabbing stuff and adding here from time to time (when time permits).

One of the nice things about this site ... it's easier to upload stuff actively into the lists than PD.com was.

@WillyP
Loving the header and decor changes!  8)

Offline Top Gun

• Silver
  • PD Pyro
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 09:02:23 PM »
I've been doing all right, for the most part.  I haven't felt much motivation to play Descent of any sort for a while now, but I have become very addicted to Team Fortress 2 over the past month or so.  (By the way, anyone here play that under the name "MD-1032"?  I keep seeing that person in a server I frequent.)  I've kind of felt guilty that I didn't take more initiative to contact GameSpy right after the site went kaput; it would have been fun to hear whatever BS reason they gave for nerfing the entire Planet Network without warning, and maybe they would have had some recent database backup that they'd be willing to give us.  I guess it's still worth a shot, just for the heck of it.

As far as the DFiles stuff goes, I was thinking more along the lines of getting a complete listing of what's on the host from Checkor himself, or at least FTP access to it so that we could create a new download database here based on it.  I'd assume that all the files are still up there, but it would be nice to have an easier way to get to them than copying from the Archive.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 06:27:55 AM »
Quote from: WillyP
Thanks, IB... anyone who is not using the theme 'Dusky 2', check it out.

*checks out Dusky 2* Wow! I must say, this is definitely incentive enough to get me to stop using Black Light SMF! 8)

On a side note, I guess this means there are now two Descent-related sites out there that I've created logos for (here and Descent Fan Fiction). :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets