Author Topic: Cheating is fun!!  (Read 9988 times)

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
Cheating is fun!!
« on: June 03, 2009, 05:51:22 PM »

Cheating in basewars is awesome! This is a Picture of those heavy missle turrets attacking a warship!  :P
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
Re: Cheating is fun!!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 05:52:51 PM »
Do this yourself with...                         (Place it in your main d3 directory)

|||||
VVVV
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 05:28:12 AM »
Oh, but there's no fun cheating in Basewars...no challenge, and it's too easy...

...tho it would be faster to get those Doom Vultures through cheating...:P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 06:15:36 AM »
Oh, but there's no fun cheating in Basewars...no challenge, and it's too easy...

I thought that was kindof the point of cheating.  :P

Except maybe if you're turning on the super-speed mode on D1. I, for one, believe you should be given more points for using it rather than be called a cheater and have all your points deducted.  ;)
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 07:31:53 AM »
Yea, its more fun that way. I would consider "Astral" a cheat though.  :P

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 07:36:07 AM »
I don't remember that one. What's astral?  ???

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 07:45:43 AM »
You can fly through walls/doors.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 07:49:03 AM »
O. Right. That would kind of rule out the primary gameplay mechanic on which Descent operates.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 02:24:04 PM »
Cheating is pointless, takes all the fun out of the game. NOT fun. The only exception might be during level development, to get more quickly to areas you are working on.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 06:14:52 PM »
I cheat only after i finish the game. And i only look at walkthroughs from websites if im strugling on some thing for days.

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 07:02:50 PM »
There are times when you desire to strive for greatness, to nobly overcome adversity and honorably achieve lofty goals. Then there are those other times you just want to blow $#1T up. “GABBAGABBAHEY”!  ;D
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 05:30:02 PM »
I don't consider a walkthrough cheating, it's more like a hint. But I agree, only after a lot of trying without a hint.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 07:14:02 PM »
Walkthroughs are good really only when you've lost all hope (very easy to do in many Nintendo action-adventure games).

But I remember playing through Zelda: Majora's Mask the day it came out step-by-step with the Nintendo Power Player's Guide That was when I was 12. I began playing through it about a year ago again without that and had so much more fun with it... I remembered very, very few puzzles in it, so the game forced me to think really hard about stuff. Then I got stuck at that dungeon that you can flip upside down and right side up and haven't touched it since.  :P

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 08:00:10 AM »
The only exception might be during level development, to get more quickly to areas you are working on.

That's how "cheats" came about, you know. Little secret codes the game's developers used to quickly get through parts of a game to get to the parts you're experimenting or testing with. Originally, rather than taking the time to get rid of them when they're done developing, they left them in. When players started finding these codes, however, it rapidly became a tradition to include "cheats" for every game, whether or not they were actually "needed".
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 08:02:25 AM by Scyphi »
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 09:47:57 AM »
Some games simply do not have cheats. They are replaced by.. "THE DEVELOPERS CONSOLE!!" Thats really fun, if you know all the functions of the game, you can do really cool stuff.  :P

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets