Author Topic: The Enemy Within Re-Release Thread!  (Read 8733 times)

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
The Enemy Within Re-Release Thread!
« on: October 16, 2010, 01:58:14 PM »
This mission set has been re-released with a major improvement over the old version. You can acquire the new set here:
http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=28

What's changed? A lot of people have been mentioning that Enemy Within is pretty brutal and the new robots are extremely hard to contend with. So for Trainee, Rookie, Hotshot and most of Ace, we have completely nerfed the robots stats. The game practically holds your hand in Trainee. So for those players who aren't as good as some, you can now get to the end of the mission set and see the entire thing. For those still wanting brutality, its still there, but you'll have to play Ace for it and for pure insanity, try Insane, you will most likely die there. But the most noticeable differences will be felt on Hotshot and below.

As for robots, we've altered a few to have new weapons.
-The Golem now fires just normal Smart Missiles instead of PLAYER Smart Missiles, this should make him less lethal.
-The Mantid has energy pulses in most levels, except for the beginning few.
-The speed on both Mantid and Fulcrum have been diminished considerably on Hotshot and below.
-The thief bot has half his former health and moves at half his former speed. So he is extremely easy to kill now.
-Boss 3 has his primaries and secondaries swapped. So he now fires homing missiles as primary and PLAYER smart missiles as secondary. So this should change up the battle somewhat, before he was far too easy to beat.
-A lot of minor bugs across the levels, and texture misalignments have been fixed and just minor niggles that were annoying me from the previous release.

Re download it again and enjoy Enemy Within again (or for the first time if you haven't!)! Enjoy everyone!

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
Re: The Enemy Within Re-Release Thread!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 12:18:27 AM »
yay, moved to a place where nobody goes to read topics! :D

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 02:12:48 AM »

I can move it back if you want... Personally I never go to the board index, I just look in the right sidebar and see 'Recent' so it doesn't matter where it is.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 02:16:10 AM by WillyP »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 10:12:16 PM »
Umh, I always read the news forum to check out what's happening on Descent community.  :P

Also, this new (as well as all news) can be seen directly on the very front page of PD.net. No excuse for anyone to not to see this topic.
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 10:43:59 AM »
The only board I don't visit is the technical forum (as that's way above my head) so just so long as it doesn't end up there, I'll always read it.

Responding to it is another issue. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
Just thought I'd mention that I've made a youtube video showing the "new" TEW with some of the new music.  The video is in level 11 and goes through almost the entire level.  The soundtrack is still a WIP, but it's getting closer to completion (I want to do briefing music too, but that would be last).

Watch the video here:

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 06:42:37 AM »
Is there a version with the original/tougher bots, but with the new music?

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 07:20:59 AM »
The new music isn't done yet (WIP).  It will be released as an update later.  The way DFW says she'll distribute it, I don't see why it couldn't be used with either version.

You can listen to what is done of the soundtrack here: http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=album;id=17
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 04:51:27 AM by Alter-Fox »

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 12:24:34 AM »
well, on my computer, I no longer have the old version with the tougher bots. And enspiar only has the new version with the dumbed down robots (although Ace and Insane should give you the challenge you crave!) I'm not sure where else you can find the old version. Unless Diedel hasn't updated his website entry for Enemy Within, his old download link for the mission could still be the old tough version. So try that.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 09:26:56 AM »
I still have the old version, but with the old music.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Bagheera

• Silver
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 08:23:27 AM »
I heard nothing changed about that player mega/homing flash boss so...nooooo thanks....

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 08:37:12 AM »
To be fair, that was the second to last level (level 25).

@Numberzero: The soundtrack is (will be) sort of a separate entity from the mission, as it will be such a big file.  DFW ostensibly wants it to be tailored to work "out of the box" for D2X-XL, but I'll put it together in such a way that it will work with Rebirth as well, if you select it in the Jukebox sound mode.  (This is harder than it may seem, as the credits may use one of the level themes, likely level 23).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 10:01:27 AM by Alter-Fox »

Offline Kaizerwolf

• Gold
    • Youtube
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 08:42:43 PM »
lol@ niggles.

I'll probably re-download soon. I did beat it on Hotshot, but I was afraid to go higher. :P

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 10:23:46 PM »
The soundtrack will probably be done in about 2 weeks, pending Pumo sending me his ogg mix of Clear Ice Love for level 16.  I also have a version that I recorded from his site with Audacity that I can use if push comes to shove -- I recorded it with his permission of course.  The quality difference wouldn't be noticable in-game.

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 11:03:50 PM »
No need to worry, I've finally sent you Clear Ice Love prepared and ready for TEW. ;)

Check your mail.
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets