Author Topic: Miners Wars Beta  (Read 31205 times)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: Miners Wars Beta
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2010, 09:36:05 AM »
That was my first thought... it looked like they were planning to keep up the charade until the game's release, but they got cold feet.  If that's true... well, at least they're honest enough to get cold feet :P.  (A truism: if something looks too good to be true, it probably is.  I think only one person here (you know who) saw that...)
But I don't think there are many companies for any product nowadays that would be decent enough to get cold feet.

On the other hand, I have seen miscommunication like this happen unintentionally, like I said before, so that isn't unreasonable.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2010, 09:19:12 AM »
I kind of side with Foil. I haven't kept up on all of the news, just skimming some of these posts and replies.
To ask for money isn't bad, but it can be a con. Sure, a con artist can ask for money, you give it to them, and whatever they offer could be good.
Maybe I am reading this all wrong, but pretty soon, a con artist may offer a little more than before, and ask for more money. Pretty soon, you may shell out more money than anyone should, and at some point, the website packed up and disappeared.
and now, you spent a certain amount of money for a game that really isn't even finished and can't be played online.

I'm just skeptical of things. and I haven't read it all. hopefully I am making some sense.

update: I read their message. Sounds more fishy than not. It's like a hook, line and sinker. maybe they're honest, maybe they're not. All I know is, I don't intend to buy ANYTHING from them until I see some official game that is available, maybe in stores, and hopefully honest reviews.

I believe Frictional is some independent store. They're pretty good, with Penumbra, and Amnesia: Dark Descent.
They are cheap games, but they work, they're official.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 09:27:59 AM by Vanguard »

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2010, 08:40:57 PM »
I've not been following Miner Wars at all. It's cool, but I've not really seen enough of it to make me want it. (And yes, perhaps there is a video or something that can change my mind.)
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2010, 06:28:55 AM »
the videos are pretty neat. I don't plan to touch anything until I know it's officially out, and people are happy with it.

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2010, 06:58:23 AM »
Im with you.  ;)
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2010, 07:23:32 AM »
Foil could easily be right about the things he said in this post. I don't think it's negative to think that a company may con you or just fail to stay alive. I call it reality.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2010, 08:48:36 AM »
I understand your point of view: you should always be leery of anything that sounds too good to be true... which this definitely does, to us at least.

I still think a deliberate con is unlikely for the reasons I posted above: mostly because there are a lot of bigger audiences they could target.  I think even the community for the original DooM is bigger than this one.  If they fail I would see it as far more likely that it's an indie company biting off more than they can chew (so they choke and die :P).

From what I've seen of the pre-alpha, it looks like they can pull off at least most of what they said they would.  A lot of high-profile game development and investment people have shown interest in the game and think it has potential (and obviously think it will be finished).  And I have some more selfish reasons to support them as well: If I can get on the team it will really help my personal career whether this game gets finished or not.

So yes, it's a quandary for sure.  I'm glad I know what I'm going to do.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 08:50:31 AM by Alter-Fox »

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2010, 10:03:38 AM »
I'm not smart I know, but maybe a con thinks he and/or she can con fans/general public more than other companies. and I would think companies would sue them if the con got caught.
I don't know if it works that way or not. I suppose cons could easily disappear or not be touched if a company found out they're no good.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2010, 11:32:35 AM »
I'm holding off on buying it myself, as given all that's happened, it seems like the wise thing to do.

Although, not having a system that can run Miner Wars helped with that choice, admittedly. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
that's partially the reason why in my case, and I have other games, etc that I do know are good, and in my very home, but just been too busy to get to.  Miner Wars just has to wait in line, if it's good and legit.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2010, 01:29:31 PM »
The latest update looked good but too slow on my machine.  Just like D3 was on the old machine when I first played it.  :P
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets