Author Topic: What is this board for?  (Read 16382 times)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
What is this board for?
« on: October 01, 2010, 04:02:32 PM »
I've been looking at all the topics on the MPD forum but I can't figure out what it's for.  Can someone enlighten me?

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: What is this board for?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 04:59:36 PM »
[Ooooh... he didn't follow the rulez here... ban him! ban him! Burn his house down!  Lynch him! No, wait a spanking!  Yes! A spanking! And then oral sex! <===SillyWilly]

[Rulez? We got rulez here? I don't see any rulez!<===SumOtherWilly]
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 05:02:15 PM by WillyP »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 05:10:41 PM »
Since I've decided to show up on the PD forums today for the first time this semester (curse you, school!) and post an MPD thread, I guess I'll take a shot at it.

You've pretty much answered your own question - it's not really "for" anything. It's simply PD's very own special gimmick - a thread where all it's posters are supposed to act like they have Dissociative Identity Disorder, formerly known as Multiple Personality Disorder. Essentially, in true medical psychology, the diagnosis means that, as the patient exhibits a different personality trait or emotion (e.g. optimism, pessimism, mischief, politeness, etc.), the patient swaps to a new "personality," in which they basically forget all events occurring while assuming other "personalities." However, the patient usually undergoes a marked transition and is usually not self-aware of the change.

Planet Descent makes light of the diagnosis, and has always had a board set up specifically for users to create their own separate personalities to exchange wit and banter. Of course, on PD, all the personalities are aware of each other and most users treat them as being completely separate entities (they can all do separate actions that may or may not have an effect on each other). The world in which they exist is presumed to be within the user's mind. For instance, in my case, I've narrowed my character list down to these:

Meat&Potatoes - The straight man, organized, inquisitive, often overbearing.
SniperJunkie - Violent, sarcastic, usually unintelligent (the only surviving member of my original cast).
HopelessCynic - Cynical, pessimistic, derives humor from others' weaknesses
ModMan - The tech-nerd, enthusiastic but socially inept.
@Random - Spouts off completely random, unrelated sayings. No rhyme or reason to his actions or thoughts.

These characters usually fit into a simple but cerebral storyline where they can collectively problem-solve (or, more accurately, problem-create) to (sometimes) humorous effect. It's taken me quite some time to really develop my characters and write solid plotlines, but I am by no means a good MPD writer. I certainly don't think any of my work would elicit a genuine guffaw, but I think it's getting there.  ;)
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 07:52:26 AM »
It does take some time and effort to come up with a noteworthy idea, then write it all down, and then properly code it all. Doesn't help that PD.Net's MPD forum isn't particularly designed for MPD use (the original PD.com was, however, at least in it's designated section).

This does remind me, though...been awhile since I posted anything MPDish...

[*suddenly appears* Somebody say my marvelous name?--RandomScyphi]
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 12:47:54 PM »
As I understand it, .com's MPD board wasn't any different, but there was a special software to make it a little easier.

Lacking such a thing, I would suggest, if you are using Firefox, you could use a plugin called 'Clippings' and save your character's templates there.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 09:26:20 PM »
Lacking such a thing, I would suggest, if you are using Firefox, you could use a plugin called 'Clippings' and save your character's templates there.
I've been thinking about trying that.  The old "MPD Maker" (which I have a copy of) was ... buggy at best and disagreeable with newer systems.  'Clippings' might do the job nicely.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 04:40:38 AM »
It would also be cool if people introduced their characters in their profiles.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 06:02:20 AM »
I could use my pilots... they have very different personalities (and it's all explained on my profile).

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 10:37:41 AM »
I put up my main personas in my profile. You'll see more than just them, but not as often.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 01:54:33 PM »
My guys could be any clone from the Zero Alliance. Except there is Delta squad like in an old awesome game called Star Wars Republic Commando.

BTW! If anyone has seen any of the commercials for this The Clone Wars season (Kaiz :P), it did show the Deltas! CANNOT WAIT FOR THAT ONE!!!!!!!!! I hope to God that they have the ORIGINAL voice actors!
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets