Author Topic: Switching my network security settings  (Read 3891 times)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Switching my network security settings
« on: July 28, 2010, 05:06:43 PM »
SO! This night, I wanted to switch my network security encryption to WEP from a higher encryption. I was able to get all of my other computers connected to the network, but the computers were behaving spasticly. Some would connect while others didn't. Then it would flip flop and the other is now connected...

I also noticed that whenever a computer connected that it would say that the signal strength was low, but when I switched back to my old settings it was back up to normal.

Any thoughts? I would like to change my security encryption to WEP to get my DS to play its games online. And no, I don't want to talk to India if you know what I mean.

(I hope the 3DS will allow me to play on any security setting than my DSi which is running 6 year old garbage tech still >.>)
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
Re: Switching my network security settings
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 05:38:41 PM »
Is WPA2 really that new that most wireless devices don't support it? I know my Wii connected without a hitch (the only major problem was our firewall)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 07:10:23 PM »
Nah, it's just DS games that are the problems. The DSi can do everything with the internet except play DS games online. Someone is just too lazy to configure games to work through the new security types. It is stupid how they just don't piggyback on the DSi's advanced connection. (it's hardly advanced. Maybe 6 years ago. DSi is relatively new, but it runs on the stuff that the old DS had. It just now has more fancy features. Thist thing can't load a 200MB pic or play flash animations for Christ's sake.)
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 08:13:22 PM »
WEP is easily hacked these days.  WPA2 is much harder to hack ... however there are still in use a lot of wireless interfaces that don't respond reliably to WPA2.  Some routers are not reliable on WPA2 as well.

Fortunately for me, all of my wireless devices are good with WPA2.  You might  want to look into some upgrades.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 10:05:21 PM »
Mah DS is what needs upgrading :P

I've got a whole bunch of other security settings including WPA2, but I want to know what the trouble might be with the other computers spazing out.

Is it possible to have two signals from one router? One being my personal WEP and the rest on my other setting?

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 10:46:08 AM »
Two signals from one router?  Yes ... If your router has that feature.  A lot of them do not.

I have a router that will do two signals.  The second one is called a either a "private" or "guest" and on my router it allows me to have a different security setting for the "guest" signal.  It also allows me to have the "guest" signal be able to connect to the devices on the main signal ... or not (thus keep it isolated from the other computers).  That router has 3 antennae while my other routers only have two antennae and do not have the "guest" feature.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 11:26:19 AM »
Otherwise, you could set up a second wireless router as an access point with separate settings.

I set up a second router as a second, identical access point to the first one that the computers see as one, I see no reason why you couldn't est it up as a different access point.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets