Author Topic: Loads Of Issues With Descent 3 Reinstall  (Read 24625 times)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
Re: Loads Of Issues With Descent 3 Reinstall
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2010, 05:09:29 PM »
Does your D3 include -nomultitexture in the command line by default?

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2010, 07:57:55 AM »
Huh?  On probably 30+ D3 installations on as many machines (from Win98 to Win7, using both NVidia and ATI cards, and even some with integrated graphics), I have NEVER used or needed the -nomultitexture option.

If you need to use it that often, I think there's something you're doing wrong.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2010, 08:18:43 AM »
Huh?  On probably 30+ D3 installations on as many machines (from Win98 to Win7, using both NVidia and ATI cards, and even some with integrated graphics), I have NEVER used or needed the -nomultitexture option.

And that's where you're wrong. I've needed that option since I got vista, and everything else works perfectly.

I assume you're talking about the issue where all you get is a funky light-show when the level reloads or when you go to options/automap/alt-tab?

Offline Thomas

• Gold
    • Dateiliste
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2010, 08:23:28 AM »
Yes, maybe. Do you have some hints for me on what I might be doing wrong?
(Apart from obviously not using NVidia or ATI, or course.)

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2010, 08:41:03 AM »
I've needed that option since I got vista, and everything else works perfectly.

I have two Vista machines at home.  One 32-bit, one 64-bit.  I've had NVidia and ATI cards on both.

...And I've never needed that switch, on either machine.

I assume you're talking about the issue where all you get is a funky light-show when the level reloads or when you go to options/automap/alt-tab?

I've seen that before, but only with very old video drivers.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2010, 08:43:58 AM »

I've seen that before, but only with very old video drivers.

Mmm! I get that too! I have updated drivers and a really good Nivida video card and that only occurs when I run with OpenGL. Pardon for hijacking the thread, but is there a fix for that so I can run OpenGL?
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Thomas

• Gold
    • Dateiliste
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2010, 09:26:42 AM »
I have two Vista machines at home.  One 32-bit, one 64-bit.  I've had NVidia and ATI cards on both.

...And I've never needed that switch, on either machine.
I'm pretty sure that your two Vista machines cover all available hardware and drivers. ;)

And I'm pretty sure that this amazing experience entitles you to speak for everybody who ever wanted or wants to install Descent 3 on any computer anywhere. ;)

Come on, Foil...

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2010, 10:03:49 AM »
I never said or implied that my experience is universal.  (Though after many many D3 installs on Vista\7 machines, I think I have some relevant experience).

I'm rebutting your universal statements about D3 being difficult on Vista/7, like:

Quote from: Thomas
...Descent 3 is old enough to not run on Windows 7 anymore - at least not out of the box without spending a lot of time on it...

Not true.  (See my posts.)

Quote from: Thomas
Honestly, it's almost a crime to install Descent 3 and Mercenary from the original CDs.

Again, not true.  (Again, see my posts.)

Come on, Thomas...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 10:05:31 AM by Foil »

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2010, 10:07:58 AM »
I get that too! I have updated drivers and a really good Nivida video card and that only occurs when I run with OpenGL. Pardon for hijacking the thread, but is there a fix for that so I can run OpenGL?

That (and the similar black-screen issue when going to menu or scores screen) is an issue with NVidia's OpenGL support.  It became broken starting with the drivers after 163.x, as I recall.

Best suggestion if you're running on a good modern video card, and performance is not an issue, is to go to Direct3D.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2010, 12:43:59 PM »
I've heard D3D gives its own host of issues too.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2010, 02:56:09 PM »
Thanks to the dumb bitdepth issue it looks kind of grainy, but that can be fixed by setting the bitdepth to 32. Now if only you didn't have to do that every last time you played...

In general though, it appears to render the lightmaps a lot nicer than OpenGL does. I don't know why.

Offline Thomas

• Gold
    • Dateiliste
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2010, 04:44:49 PM »
Foil, please walk out your main door, go 200 meters left or right, it's your choice, find that gaming freak in your neighbourhood (not his parents),

Drop your 3 Descent 3 CDs in his hands, D3 1, 2, and Mercanary.

Don't say anything else but "I'll see you in Ascent tongiht". You can tell him that Thomas pays 20 bucks when he's there.

If he doesn't come, please consider that I prefer cold served lager, Stella would be a good choice.  :)

Please stop talking about how easy it is to install D3. You are mistaken here, and I'm looking forward to my pint of Stella.  :)

That's my last comment on this subject here. If you think you know better, good. Have it your way.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2010, 08:04:31 PM »
Thomas,
Foil is not alone on the easy Descent 3 install.  Having a hard time installing it is the exception, not the rule.

Tempers seem to be getting a bit "warm" ... let's cool a bit before we get carried away.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2010, 09:22:18 PM »
Foil, please walk out your main door, go 200 meters left or right, it's your choice, find that gaming freak in your neighbourhood (not his parents),

Drop your 3 Descent 3 CDs in his hands, D3 1, 2, and Mercanary.

Don't say anything else but "I'll see you in Ascent tongiht". You can tell him that Thomas pays 20 bucks when he's there.

If he doesn't come, please consider that I prefer cold served lager, Stella would be a good choice.  :)

Please stop talking about how easy it is to install D3. You are mistaken here, and I'm looking forward to my pint of Stella.  :)

That's my last comment on this subject here. If you think you know better, good. Have it your way.

That wouldn't even work for Halo...

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2010, 06:26:35 AM »
The truth is somewhere in the middle.  Not that anyone is untruthful, let's just say opinionated!  ;)

« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 06:31:32 AM by WillyP »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets