Author Topic: The BP Oil Spill  (Read 8716 times)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
Re: The BP Oil Spill
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 08:06:34 AM »
Greed and corruption caused this mess.

Uhm, no.  Democrats and their wacko left wing Environmentalists caused this mess.  Preventing drilling on land and in shallow waters caused this mess.  Pushing Oil companies into deeper and deeper water caused this mess.

And halting Gulf of Mexico drilling is slamming another nail in the coffin of the United States.

Vote Democrat if you wish (it is your Constitutional right).  I vote Republican.  I vote American.  'nuff said.

Time to take America back and restore her to her former GLORY of just a few years ago.  Long live America!

(I'm not the one who started this thread heh).  :)
This is definitely not the place to be spouting propaganda about how one party is un-american.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 11:08:39 AM »
Right.

I was watching on the news a few minutes ago. There were a bunch of people asking questions of the CEO of BP and I have never heard of such stupid crap that they kept asking him about! "How many deep sea oil drills do you have?" "I don't know the exact numbers. We do have a lot." "Ok, and were you aware of this particular well before the incident?" "No I wasn't."
  How the hell should he know exactly about this one? What would he have known that was important before the accident? He only has 100000000000 other wells to worry about!
  "Who's the inspector out there?" Do they honestly need to know?
  "How often are So and So meeting?" What? Do you want to know their schedual?
  "Blah blah blah E equals M C Squared....?" wat?

STOP ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS! Instead, ask "how can we help you?" The man is (hopefully) doing everything he can to fix the problem and all these people are doing are interrigating him and wasting his time.

Now why wouldn't the umbrella work? Liquid freezes? I thought about that, but it is flowing liquid. That does not freeze too easily. Plus it is salt water which lowers the freezing temperature. Make the umbrella aerodynamic so that the liquid has no where to catch on, sit still for a while, and freeze.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 11:30:04 AM »
NUMBERZero, you've given a good point. All mostly everyone has done about the matter is be constantly asking questions about what happened, try and pin the blame on somebody, and essentially demand that BP does something to clean up (which, despite circumstances, is a little unfair).

Now yes, there is blame to be given, and questions about what happened (and why) that should be asked, but is that really so important to do right now? What we should really be doing is figuring out ways to help get this mess cleaned up before it gets any more worse than it already has, which really shouldn't have gotten this far anyway.

DwnUnder, don't even start saying which political party is to blame for this, because that's mere disillusionment. Republicans and Democrats are only united under a common cause in writing.  They're really all just separate men with their own personal agendas. They'll just as sooner shun one of their "own" than befriend them. Just so long as it gives them personal benefit. I decided a long time ago that I don't like either political party for this exact reasons.

In fact, I don't like politics in general. Don't even don't want to touch it with a ten foot pole, but sometimes ya just got to. This is one of those times for me.

It's not really the time or the place for it, though. It's PD, after all, not the DBB.

I guess what I'm saying is that lets not get too political about this. Please. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 02:14:17 PM »
I don't see what politics has to do with this at all, honestly. Is BP going around waving a "WE ARE DEMOCRATS, WE CAUSED THIS!" sign? Because otherwise, I really don't see what politics has to do with this. This is big business, not politics.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 06:30:54 AM »
Politics fits into it depending on who you want to blame this mess on. Some would be more than happy to blame this oil spill on the current administration.  :-\
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 07:17:05 AM »
I blame it on, ya know, the company.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 07:24:24 AM »
Well, if we really want to argue the point, I probably could find a plausible way to pin it on the government (but not necessarily any one political party) in addition to the company.

But please, let's not. :)
Check out my deviantART

Offline Top Gun

• Silver
  • PD Pyro
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2010, 09:52:51 AM »
Now why wouldn't the umbrella work? Liquid freezes? I thought about that, but it is flowing liquid. That does not freeze too easily. Plus it is salt water which lowers the freezing temperature. Make the umbrella aerodynamic so that the liquid has no where to catch on, sit still for a while, and freeze.

We're not talking about ice water here, but methane hydrate instead.  It's nasty stuff to deal with, and it's what stopped the original containment box plan from functioning properly.

Offline Truth

• Bronze
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 04:17:51 PM »
I had come up with an idea to fix this, yet everyone tells me that its not plausible.

If I had a leak in my exhaust I would cut an aluminum can lengthwise, and cut out the tops and bottoms of it so it would be like a rolled up sheet. Then I would simply take two clamps and tighten them down so it would keep the exhaust couldn't escape.

I understand that the leak is pouring oil out at a substantial rate, and its WAY, WAY, WAY, down there, but in all honesty, could it work to the same effect if they had the means? (I believe they do, btw, they're just using the leak as fuel for Obama's "alternative energy" propaganda. !!!JUST AN OPINION!!!)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 06:53:45 PM »
Your exhaust runs at about 2 or 3 psi of back-pressure, the oil well is at about 15,000 psi. And many times the volume. The have in fact capped the well. The problem now is they cannot close it off completely. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, after all, the well was closed off before the explosion and they were able to deal with the flow then. But I am in no position to second guess them, they have studied the problem, have people who specialize in this sorta stuff and I am sure nobody wants this resolved more than BP. If it were me, I would just wrap it with duct tape. ;)
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2010, 09:00:38 AM »
Oh yeah, duct tape can fix just about anything. :P
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2010, 09:17:11 AM »
WTB 1 roll XL duct tape

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2010, 09:19:51 AM »
Make that waterproof, XL duct tape. ;)

And we need a good swimmer to go put it on.  :o
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2010, 06:06:03 AM »
Well, facts seem to be that the oil platform had severe technical problems and that BP bribed themselves out of fixing them.

There isn't anything more stupid than blaming environmentalists for pollution btw. I also cannot understand people raging against them when they are trying to preserve some of the greatest treasures in the form of landscapes and nature the U.S. of A. has.

It is plain stupid how this is turned into an ideologic war.

There are so many examples how the greed of big companies who can buy themselves into and out of everything has ruined the environment and harmed people big time - but when you say it certain people start yelling at you and would probably like to kill you.

That's pure idiocy if you ask me.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets